Menu

Dr hive

My five year old has her tonsils out. I've noticed bad breath the last few weeks, but she doesn't have a fever or throat pain.

Tonight my husband looked in her throat with a flashlight and said he saw a white patch on the left side.

Can you have strep with only a white patch and bad breath? Our doc is closed for the weekend, would you go to urgent care or wait until Monday morning?

Any tips for mitigating the breath?

You can have strep with no tonsils and no sore throat. Is there any sinus drainage? That can cause bad breath as well.

She has seasonal allergies and some drainage, but nothing out of the norm. Is this rush to urgent care or wait for Monday strep? I'm only used to the kind that comes fast with a spectacular fever, and she shows absolutely no signs of that.

They advantage of going to Urgent Care now is that she can be treated and hopefully doesn't spread it to everyone else. Otherwise, if she isn't uncomfortable there isn't a rush imo.

If this has been ongoing for a while because of the stinky breath, and no one else has caught it, are we likely to with two more days? I really, really like our doc more then urgent care. :tongue_smilie:

If she is not complaining of pain and not showing signs of fever then I would wait.

Could it be someting like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

That was my first thought, but I haven't looked and my husband's description was kinda vague. My tolerance for anything slightly gross is pretty low right now. I'm so confused, because other then the breath thing she really appears fine. :confused:

Maybe your husband can take a flashlight and have a closer look. If her tonsils are completely healed from being removed (not sure when they were removed) you can get your husband to try to give the area a gentle push to see if any foriegn body pops out (if your daughter doesn't have a strong gag reflex).;)

Maybe your husband can take a flashlight and have a closer look. If her tonsils are completely healed from being removed (not sure when they were removed) you can get your husband to try to give the area a gentle push to see if any foriegn body pops out (if your daughter doesn't have a strong gag reflex).;)

:svengo:

I think her gag reflex is too strong to attempt that. And that's a mental image that I could have done without. :lol:

She's had her tonsils out for over a year, so I think they are completely healed.

I asked if if her head or throat or tummy hurt and she said no... And then asked if they should. :tongue_smilie:

Can you call your regular doctor and ask his advice? Even if the office is closed, he may be on call.

They have no weekend call hours. It's the only thing I don't like about the office but it's really common here. Time wise now my choices are wait for Monday- they have open slots every Monday morning so we could be seen pretty quickly, or go to the ER because now Urgent Care is closed, too.

Sinus infections can give you really bad breath, and she would not necessarily have a fever. If she has allergies and is experiencing drainage, I would have them checked out if you don't see improvement over the weekend.

Monday is the latest I'd take her- I just want to know if it's ok to wait until then. Sinus infection sounds possible, too. Ugh, I wish kids came with a sensor of something that told you exactly what was going on.