Menu

Using "Big" Workbooks as supplement

css3238

I am teaching 6 this year, counting my neighbor's two and my newest 1st grader. The little one is completely insatiable when it comes to learning. I cannot borrow enough books to keep her engaged. She sees the big girls doing so much more and she wants to do more. She is making it difficult for me to handle the transition period with the two ps "drones" that must adapt to the new style. (On a side note, it is funny how my kids marvel at how little their new classmates wish to engage.)

Anyway, I told you all that to ask this: Has anyone ever used those "BIG WORKBOOK" things as supplements (not meaning the brand per se, just the idea)? I'm thinking of buying one and just letting the baby tear into it at her leisure. It won't be all she does, of course, but with everything going on it seems impossible for me to fill her need for input on my own, and I don't want to turn off the spigot when she is so thirsty. Thoughts?

Absolutely! They can be great for little ones who can't get enough. We loved the Brainquest ones.

Do you just let yours use them whenever they feel like it (outside of whatever is structured, of course), or do you try to pick times. What about topics? Do they just go in order or do you pick for them?

We use the BrainQuest and Comprehensive Curriculum workbooks as part of "general skills," and they work well for my kids. Nice supplements, change of pace, reinforces things, and catches any holes (like, we don't do a formal grammar program, but the workbooks have some, so it's something to put in our portfolio to say that we did cover grammar). DS1 did about 4 pages a day (2 sets of 2 facing pages) last year in first grade, and that was a reasonable amount for him. (Last year, I used them as the writing assignment for the day, or the math assignment, etc., so there wasn't an additional math or whatever for that day.)

We also really like the "Summer" workbooks. My first grader and my fifth grader each have a book and we use them on days when one child has a lot more to do than the other, or on days when we have other events planned just to keep in the habit of doing schoolwork regularly. The ones we use are by Flash Kids and they cover lots of subjects in easily manageable chunks. I think a book of that sort would be great for your insatiable learner, and definitely good for filling in transitional times.