Menu

was I right, or just a hormonal witch?

It's rude to talk during a presentation. It's rude to expect that you will be "entertained" by everything you go to do. It's rude to argue with your mother in public, especially when she is 40 wks pregnant.

It is rude to leave, but it is less rude than staying and continuing to disrupte the entire presentation, so you did the right thing, imo.

This is part of the "world does not revolve around you" training for our children. I don't make rules for other parents, but I expect to be able to listen to a presenter, not others, when I attend something. It's called manners, seriously not that difficult.

I remember in elementary school we had someone come in and the students were awful. I was embarrassed, the teachers kept sushing the students. The presentation was interesting and I was trying to pay attention. Finally the presenter stopped and said he wouldn't continue until people started paying attention. He was beyond annoyed.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I am surprised that the other mom was so disrespectful.

You're my hero for being out on your due date with a teenager and a toddler, trying to do something nice for your son. You're also my hero for not drop-kicking the other mom, which I think is allowed once you've reached your due date and someone challenges you like that. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by idnib

You were right. But if you were a hormonal witch, I'd still say you were right, because it's a foolish idea to tell a hormonal witch she's wrong.:tongue_smilie:

Seriously, I hate it when another person undermines my attempts to guide my child.

(Eg, me, to my kid: "Leave the food alone until everyone is ready to eat." Other mother, trying to be kind: "Oh it's OK, you can eat." No, it's not OK, because I had decided to teach my child something and now you're telling her to ignore me.)

Edited by Hotdrink

Another vote for you doing the right thing by leaving if the boy wasn't interested enough to be polite to the presenter. A letter of apology to the presenter is a good idea as well.

I would be livid if my teen pulled a stunt like that after I hauled my 40 week PG, have lots better things to do self out to a museum for his benefit. He better be making dad's birthday dinner and running you a bubble bath to make up for it!

The other mother -- wow, there just are no words for that kind of behavior. Well, no hive friendly words.

Yes, he was rude. Yes, you did right.

I would have a talk with him about why he chose to act that way at a presentation he wanted so badly to see. Wasn't he interested in the artwork? Maybe the speaker had something to say about Percy Jackson that your son totally MISSED because of his behavior.

I would probably also give him a consequence, like going back to the museum, doing some research, and writing a report about the artist and his work.

Now, I think your dear son has some letters of apology to write - to the presenter for being rude during the presentation and then having to leave and to his mother for being completely inconsiderate of her when she did what *very extremely few* of us would ever even consider doing at 40 weeks pregnant!!!!!

Another vote for you doing the right thing by leaving if the boy wasn't interested enough to be polite to the presenter. A letter of apology to the presenter is a good idea as well.

I had my son do formal letters of apology once when he had an altercation with another student during a dance class. He wrote to the instructor, the dance school director and the other boy.

He hated writing them, but I do feel like it made an impact.

Katie,

You're right on! I agree with you all the way.

I'm sorry and don't mean to be rude, but BORED?!?!? Sorry, they need to get over themselves!

:grouphug:

This is a learning lesson though - for me. I will now give a "boring" presentation of our next "boring" event to attend to make it known that they may be "bored", but that is unacceptable. Like you said, it did not last all day.

Personally, I would have been more angry at the other mom for contradicting what I'd instructed my son. (But that could be my own hormonal side coming out!)

Like you said, better to leave than to disrupt the lecture.

And I'd be giving my teen some work to do or some such as a consequence for putting me through that. He was not forced to be there. You did this for him and he embarrassed and disobeyed you. He needs to understand that his immediate pleasure has to take a back seat sometimes.

My children are expected to display the behavior you expected of your ds. If not, like you, I would have removed them. Ther eprobably would not have been field trips for a while, though I would point out opportunities and also their past behavior as a reason we weren't going.

I would have been livid over the other mother contradicting my parenting. One of the coleaders of my dd's Girl Scout troop and I both left the troop over the other leader allowing that sort of disrespectful behavior on field trips.

I personally wouldn't be mad at your son.....peer pressure may be in play here... And, his mom is very pregnant, and he may be worried. The whole family bears stress when things are about to change. But it is definitely your call.

Come on baby get here, its time (hope your little one picks up on my "get here now" vibes!!). Cause I LOVE seeing hive baby pics!!

Nope, not wrong.

It is also not rude to leave during the presentation if your child was interrupting said presentation. It doesn't matter if the child is 2 or 16 - if they are misbehaving and causing the people who are actually trying to listen to be distracted, then they need to be removed.

:iagree:

I personally wouldn't be mad at your son.....peer pressure may be in play here... And, his mom is very pregnant, and he may be worried. The whole family bears stress when things are about to change. But it is definitely your call.

Come on baby get here, its time (hope your little one picks up on my "get here now" vibes!!). Cause I LOVE seeing hive baby pics!!

it was definitely peer pressure. He wanted to hang with the cool guys. He got the message, but by the time we made it home from running errands we had made up.