Menu

Latin for Children C or Latin Alive 1?

After Latin for Children A & B, would you have your 8th grader do level C or move into Latin Alive 1?

My children also take another foreign language (which they will take all through high school, goal is to become fluent in that language) and they are both much more interested in and well-suited for STEM careers, so I don't know that complete mastery of Latin is required. I just consider it part of a classical college prep program, primarily for the brain stretching and vocab development. I definitely want them to do 4 years of Latin. So my possible sequences are:

grade 5: Latin for Children A

grade 6: Latin for Children B

grade 7: Latin for Children C

grade 8: Latin Alive! 1

grade 7: Latin for Children C

grade 8: Latin Alive! 1

grade 9: Latin Alive! 2 (though I really prefer not to add a 5th year as it will get in the way of already full high school schedules)

grade 7: Latin Alive! 1

grade 8: Latin Alive! 2

Also what would be a goal in this area to show completion? Just passing the tests with the curriculum or would this sequence allow them to pass the National Latin Exam level 1? How many years of study would be recommended to pass the SATII for Latin?

We've done:

4th: LFC A

5th: LFC B My daughter is here this year.

6th: LFC C

7th: Wheelock's (ch. 1-23) My boys are here in 7th this year.

8th: Wheelock's (ch. 24-end)

9th & 10th at high school: Latin readings & AP

I didn't like LFC C at all. Such a waste of a year. I'm planning to have my daughter go directly to Wheelock's for 6th grade, after finishing LFC B this year in 5th.

The boys are also doing French 1 this year, French 2 in 8th, and, hopefully, French 3 & 4 in 9th & 10th.

For now, I'm aiming for Latin AP & French AP exams by the end of 10th grade. When the boys get into high school, they can decide if they really want to do that. I just want them to be set up for it, if they do. If we homeschool high school, I'd like the AP scores to justify any home school grades. I'd also like them to be able to be done w/ their 4 years of foreign language requirements by the end of 10th grade.

We've done Latin online w/ Veritas Press. Last year, I asked VP whether the boys should do Latin Alive I instead of LFC Cfor 6th grade. VP said that they definitely would NOT suggest doing LA after having successfully completed LFC A & B bec. there would be too much overlap between LA I & LFC A&B. VP suggested LFC C or Wheelock's. We went w/ LFC C to lighten the overall academic load last year in 6th, but I wish we'd just moved to Wheelock's, even if we'd moved at half speed.

You might want to consider just going directly to something like Wheelock's or Latin for the New Millennium after LFC A, B & C. No point wasting time treading water w/ LA. (jmo)

Edited by yvonne

We went from LFC B to Latin Alive. While there was some overlap, it moved at a quick pace and translation work increased. It does depend upon your goals, imo, and how much emphasis you want to put on Latin. Ds didn't respond to Latin Alive as well as LFC and I wish we had done primer C to keep the enthusiasm.

Wheelocks would have been too big of a jump for us in 7th. We did part of it in 8th, but ds hated it. We negotiated to stop Latin last year because ds wants to focus on different languages, so we didn't finish LA I or Wheelocks.

If they are doing well with LFC, you could move into Latin Alive and skip primer C. If you want to go with something more intensive, time and content wise Wheelocks could work.

We really enjoyed the DVDs with Latin Alive, I felt they were a step above the ones for LFC. Karen does actual teaching and I found them to more effective helps for someone who is not comfortable teaching Latin without some aids.

We've done:

4th: LFC A

5th: LFC B My daughter is here this year.

6th: LFC C

7th: Wheelock's (ch. 1-23) My boys are here in 7th this year.

8th: Wheelock's (ch. 24-end)

9th & 10th at high school: Latin readings & AP

I didn't like LFC C at all. Such a waste of a year. I'm planning to have my daughter go directly to Wheelock's for 6th grade, after finishing LFC B this year in 5th.

The boys are also doing French 1 this year, French 2 in 8th, and, hopefully, French 3 & 4 in 9th & 10th.

For now, I'm aiming for Latin AP & French AP exams in 10th grade. When the boys get into high school, they can decide if they really want to do that. I just want them to be set up for it, if they do. If we homeschool high school, I'd like the AP scores to justify any home school grades. I'd also like them to be able to be done w/ their 4 years of foreign language requirements by the end of 10th grade.

We've done Latin online w/ Veritas Press. Last year, I asked VP whether the boys should do Latin Alive I instead of LFC Cfor 6th grade. VP said that they definitely would NOT suggest doing LA after having successfully completed LFC A & B bec. there would be too much overlap between LA I & LFC A&B. VP suggested LFC C or Wheelock's. We went w/ LFC C to lighten the overall academic load last year in 6th. So, you might want to consider just going directly to something like Wheelock's or Latin for the New Millennium after LFC A, B & C. No point wasting time treading water w/ LA. (jmo)

Yvonne that is good to know about LFC A, thanks for your feedback. I am hesitating on Wheelock's, not sure how deep we really will go in Latin and that seems like the max depth from what I understand?

I cannot answer all of your questions. But I am interested in the National Latin exam for my fourth grade son, so I hope someone can answer that for us. I know it does include questions to prepare them but I don’t know if they would need to go through all of the levels first or not. Eventually there will be three levels.

My oldest dd (8th grade), who has ADD and is very right brained, is doing Latin Alive 1 this year. Previously she has had very limited Latin experience. We did some of Getting Started with Latin, and a half year of Latina Christiania 1 last year (my younger kids are finishing it this year), which is not even supposed to be equal to levels A,B and C of Latin for Children. However, the level of Latin Alive 1 seems perfect for her and she loves the way it is laid out. She has not had any problems with it so far (but we just started very recently, so we shall see). Still, I think that the recommendation for starting Latin Alive in middle school, without previous Latin experience, is spot on. Good luck!

Edited by lovemykids

I think that the recommendation for starting Latin Alive in middle school, without previous Latin experience, is spot on.

:iagree: Me, too. If we started Latin in 5th or 6th, with no previous Latin experience, I'd opt for Latin Alive over LFC.

Regarding the NLE.... My boys did the NLE Introductory Level when they were almost done with LFC B & did very well. Don't remember anymore what their scores were, but I do know it was a couple of Roman culture questions that tripped them up. LFC doesn't have much in the way of Roman culture.

We went from LFC B to Latin Alive. While there was some overlap, it moved at a quick pace and translation work increased. It does depend upon your goals, imo, and how much emphasis you want to put on Latin. Ds didn't respond to Latin Alive as well as LFC and I wish we had done primer C to keep the enthusiasm.

Wheelocks would have been too big of a jump for us in 7th. We did part of it in 8th, but ds hated it. We negotiated to stop Latin last year because ds wants to focus on different languages, so we didn't finish LA I or Wheelocks.

If they are doing well with LFC, you could move into Latin Alive and skip primer C. If you want to go with something more intensive, time and content wise Wheelocks could work.

We really enjoyed the DVDs with Latin Alive, I felt they were a step above the ones for LFC. Karen does actual teaching and I found them to more effective helps for someone who is not comfortable teaching Latin without some aids.

interesting... are you doing Latin Alive 1 and 2? would you say you could do either LFC C or LA1 -- skip one or the other?

Would Wheelocks be a good next step after Latin Alive 2?

Edited by RanchGirl
typo

When I talked to them at convention a couple years ago, they said if you had done LfC A-C, Latin Alive 1 would pretty much be review...and one might be able to go into 2. I think the recommended A-B and then Latin Alive 1.

My oldest has done LfC A-B then Wheelock's. My dd did LfCA and is now in Wheelock's (it's tough, but she seems to be keeping up with the work).

When I talked to them at convention a couple years ago, they said if you had done LfC A-C, Latin Alive 1 would pretty much be review...and one might be able to go into 2. I think the recommended A-B and then Latin Alive 1.

My oldest has done LfC A-B then Wheelock's. My dd did LfCA and is now in Wheelock's (it's tough, but she seems to be keeping up with the work).

Hmm, this is interesting. I never thought of skipping LFC C, but I did wonder if LA would be too much review after C.

I am hesitating on Wheelock's, not sure how deep we really will go in Latin and that seems like the max depth from what I understand?

I think so. I would be fine with my children stopping after finishing Wheelock's. That would be a truly solid foundation, and, I think, it would get us a lot of the benefits I want from Latin. If we're going to put time into Latin, I'd like the max. benefit out of that time. That would be Wheelock's. :)

(Personally, I think Latin just starts to get fun during the second part of Wheelock's, so I hope they go on a little further after Wheelock's. :) )

I never thought of skipping LFC C, but I did wonder if LA would be too much review after C.

I think LA 1 would be too much review even after LFC A&B, if your student was serious about LFC A&B and mastered the A&B material.

I bought LA 1 to see for myself, after VP said that LA 1 would be a repeat of LFC A&B. Everything in LA 1 is covered in LFC A&B, except for two LA 1 chapters on the perfect tense, I believe. I didn't look at LA 2.

If you're at all unsure, get a copy of LA 1 to look at. Compare what's covered in LA 1 w/ what your student covered in LFC A&B. If you don't want to skip to LA 2 after LFC A&B, just do the two chapters of new material in LA1 & then go to LA2. (Or, better yet, go directly from LFC A&B to Wheelocks. :lol: )

ETA: AND! If you have any desire to go the Wheelock's route at some point, get a copy and really, really look at what is covered in the first 23 chapters vs. what your student has covered in LFC A&B. It will calm your fears about Wheelock's. LFC A&B is great preparation for Wheelock's. I have no qualms about having my daughter go directly from LFC B to Wheelock's I next year as a young 6th grader. It'll be a stretch, but not painful or out of reach.

Edited by yvonne

I have found Latin Alive 1 to go a lot deeper than LFC. You're not going to hear things like "ablative of time" in LFC. I would agree that by 8th grade you can skip LFC C and go to LA 1. My dd did LA 1 just fine in 6th grade, but that was with 3 years of experience in LFC. Not sure I would put a 6th grader with no Latin experience into it. Or let's just say you would need to move at a slower pace and probably do more practice (declension worksheets, chanting or flashcards, etc) than what is in the book.

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it! I read on the CAP website that they intend to come out with an LA 3 eventually and that they think this series will prepare the student for the National Latin and/or AP Latin exam. I think I will plan for this sequence:

grade 7: Latin Alive! 1

grade 8: Latin Alive! 2

grade 9: Latin Alive! 3 - OR - Wheelock's (or possibly just be done with Latin)

I think LA 1 would be too much review even after LFC A&B, if your student was serious about LFC A&B and mastered the A&B material.

I bought LA 1 to see for myself, after VP said that LA 1 would be a repeat of LFC A&B. Everything in LA 1 is covered in LFC A&B, except for two LA 1 chapters on the perfect tense, I believe. I didn't look at LA 2.

If you're at all unsure, get a copy of LA 1 to look at. Compare what's covered in LA 1 w/ what your student covered in LFC A&B. If you don't want to skip to LA 2 after LFC A&B, just do the two chapters of new material in LA1 & then go to LA2. (Or, better yet, go directly from LFC A&B to Wheelocks. :lol: )

ETA: AND! If you have any desire to go the Wheelock's route at some point, get a copy and really, really look at what is covered in the first 23 chapters vs. what your student has covered in LFC A&B. It will calm your fears about Wheelock's. LFC A&B is great preparation for Wheelock's. I have no qualms about having my daughter go directly from LFC B to Wheelock's I next year as a young 6th grader. It'll be a stretch, but not painful or out of reach.

Would you do that with a young 5th grader? I guess I have a few more books to buy and preview! This is really good info and I have a lot of thinking to do.

Would you do that with a young 5th grader?

No, I don't think I'd go to Wheelock's with a young 5th grader. Maybe if she's a serious Latin student, strong in English & Latin grammar, and personally wanting to take on the challenge. It would have been too much of a stretch for my daughter this year.

I think I'd go from LFC B to Latin for the New Millennium 1. That is a beautiful, beautiful text. It has all the Roman culture that you miss out on in the LFC series. It is waaaay more interesting and more useful for further Latin studies than LFC, especially LFC C.

In fact, I think I might do that w/ my daughter next year for 6th grade, and then have her move to Wheelock's for 7th & 8th. Wheelock's is solid, but LNM is so much more interesting and fun.

If you buy one text to look at, buy LNM 1. It's pricey, but you can resell it for close to what you buy it for. I bet you won't resell it though! :)

Edited by yvonne

No, I don't think I'd go to Wheelock's with a young 5th grader. Maybe if she's a serious Latin student, strong in English & Latin grammar, and personally wanting to take on the challenge. It would have been too much of a stretch for my daughter this year.

I think I'd go from LFC B to Latin for the New Millennium 1. That is a beautiful, beautiful text. It has all the Roman culture that you miss out on in the LFC series. It is waaaay more interesting and more useful for further Latin studies than LFC, especially LFC C.

In fact, I think I might do that w/ my daughter next year for 6th grade, and then have her move to Wheelock's for 7th & 8th. Wheelock's is solid, but LNM is so much more interesting and fun.

If you buy one text to look at, buy LNM 1. It's pricey, but you can resell it for close to what you buy it for. I bet you won't resell it though! :)

This would be very helpful for the NLE, right? That is the one thing we're missing.

This would be very helpful for the NLE, right?

Definitely.

If you continue with LFC C, use Cambridge for translation work instead of the LfC C Libellus book. LfC tries to sync with VP's history cycle. The A Libellus reader has passages about ancient Greece & Rome, B about the Middle Ages, and C about new world explorers and early American history. Why practice Latin on passages about American history? I'd rather my kids be practicing on content that supports their study of Latin. After LfC A&B, students would have no trouble with Cambridge 1 translating. The story line in Cambridge is much more interesting & the text is more colorful. The information about Roman culture is exactly what a student needs for the NLE Intro exam.

But check out the samples from Latin for the New Millennium! Is that a beautiful book, or what?! I only wish the LNM folks were supportive of home schoolers.

Edited by yvonne

Definitely.

If you continue with LFC C, use Cambridge for translation work instead of the LfC C Libellus book. LfC tries to sync with VP's history cycle. The A Libellus reader has passages about ancient Greece & Rome, B about the Middle Ages, and C about new world explorers and early American history. Why practice Latin on passages about American history? I'd rather my kids be practicing on content that supports their study of Latin. After LfC A&B, students would have no trouble with Cambridge 1 translating. The story line in Cambridge is much more interesting & the text is more colorful. The information about Roman culture is exactly what a student needs for the NLE Intro exam.

But check out the samples from Latin for the New Millennium! Is that a beautiful book, or what?! I only wish the LNM folks were supportive of home schoolers.

Yes, you've already gotten me in huge trouble over it! :D