Menu

Mothers of Sons: Birth Order Question

As a mom to 3 boys in a row:

The Oldest Son = Responsible, Mathematical, Inquisitive = "The Engineer" Exactly!

The Middle Son = Sensitive, Sweet, Gentle = "The Counselor" Kind of, but not really, closer than the other options

The Youngest Son = Rugged, Daring, Tough = "The Bulldozer/Comedian" Sort of, but not exactly

:D

The Oldest Son = Responsible, Mathematical, Inquisitive = "The Engineer"

The Middle Son = Sensitive, Sweet, Gentle = "The Counselor"

The Youngest Son = Rugged, Daring, Tough = "The Bulldozer/Comedian"

I have three boys. There is a sister or two and at least 5 years between all of them. The oldest is totally off here, and the others need rearranged.

Oldest son = more likely to be a lawyer than an engineer, dislikes math, Tom Sawyer personality, good worker, enjoys helping people, always on

Middle son = the sensitive and sweet engineer, intuitive math understanding, inquisitive, packrat, tinkerer

Youngest son = nicknamed 'Dozer for a reason, predictable, likes life to be predictable, a thinker, loves adventure,

I can't put "gentle" beside any of them. They're awesome, loving boys and I adore them, but they're not gentle in the slightest. :001_smile:

birth order book can be pretty accurate depending on the parenting. My dh and I were both oldest of the family, lots of responsibilities, little childhood.

Oldest -

He is sensitive, musical, introvert. When he was young he would go and put a hand on people or hug them when they were crying just strangers and tell him he loved them and it would be ok. We purposely tried not to put the pressure on our oldest. He naturally because of birth order being oldest tried to be a parent to his younger brother and still does to an extent. We didn't want him to feel the responsibilities we had from young ages to our younger siblings

He is a freshman in college major neuroscience and torn between wanting to do research (cause he is so introverted) to wanting to be a neurosurgeon because he is so fascinated with the brain.

Baby Boy - well his nicknames when younger, poky little puppy, sunshine. He is always happy. He is the lego, mathematical, a bit lazy, loves camping and getting dirty. He has shot out a few windows and broke plenty of stuff trying out his physic experiments:lol: He wants to be an engineer or some type of design and construction job . HE is the typical 100% boy.

I've noticed something about birth order with boys, and I wonder if it's just coincidence? nonsense? I wonder what mothers of 3+ boys will have to say. :D

The Oldest Son = Responsible, Mathematical, Inquisitive = "The Engineer"

The Middle Son = Sensitive, Sweet, Gentle = "The Counselor"

The Youngest Son = Rugged, Daring, Tough = "The Bulldozer/Comedian"

Is this true to form? My mother has three brothers, and says it doesn't apply to her brothers AT ALL. I agree, it doesn't. My BIL is one of three brothers, and it doesn't apply to them, either. If anything, none of them are sensitive, sweet, and gentle, but all of them are responsible and tough. :tongue_smilie:My husband is the oldest of two, and HE is the Sweet, Gentle, Caring (but not Daring) Comedian, who is also Mathematical, Inquisitive, and (now that he's married to me) ;) Responsible.

But in looking at the families with 3+ boys here on the board (sig lines that reveal character traits) and IRL, there seems to be a pattern. I have three girls (7.5 & 5.5 twins). Girls are another matter. :D I'm just curious. What do moms of 3+ boys say?

With mine it's more like:

The Oldest Son = Problem Solver, Mathematical, Musical = "The Absent-Minded Professor"

The Middle Son = Sensitive, Thoughtful, Funny = "The Fair-Minded"

The Youngest Son = Quiet, Bright, Dry-witted = "The Smart A$$"

or something like that...

Sisters definitely skew the matter. I know my youngest brother was never daring or rugged, and the older one was an engineer-artist--very responsible and sensitive.

I have 4 boys, boys only. While I can see where your statement comes from, there are as many exceptions for personality as follow the rule.

1~artist, creative, very social, headstrong, only now (@13) becoming responsible

2~sensitive, peace-maker, engineer-comedian, hyper-responsible

3~rugged, athletic, very verbal, quick, kind, responsible

4~stubborn as a mule, high expectations, good thing he's cute