Menu

Mothers of Sons: Birth Order Question

I've noticed something about birth order with boys, and I wonder if it's just coincidence? nonsense? I wonder what mothers of 3+ boys will have to say. :D

The Oldest Son = Responsible, Mathematical, Inquisitive = "The Engineer"

The Middle Son = Sensitive, Sweet, Gentle = "The Counselor"

The Youngest Son = Rugged, Daring, Tough = "The Bulldozer/Comedian"

Is this true to form? My mother has three brothers, and says it doesn't apply to her brothers AT ALL. I agree, it doesn't. My BIL is one of three brothers, and it doesn't apply to them, either. If anything, none of them are sensitive, sweet, and gentle, but all of them are responsible and tough. :tongue_smilie:My husband is the oldest of two, and HE is the Sweet, Gentle, Caring (but not Daring) Comedian, who is also Mathematical, Inquisitive, and (now that he's married to me) ;) Responsible.

But in looking at the families with 3+ boys here on the board (sig lines that reveal character traits) and IRL, there seems to be a pattern. I have three girls (7.5 & 5.5 twins). Girls are another matter. :D I'm just curious. What do moms of 3+ boys say?

I've noticed something about birth order with boys, and I wonder if it's just coincidence? nonsense? I wonder what mothers of 3+ boys will have to say. :D

Is this true to form? My mother has three brothers, and says it doesn't apply to her brothers AT ALL. I agree, it doesn't. My BIL is one of three brothers, and it doesn't apply to them, either. If anything, none of them are sensitive, sweet, and gentle, but all of them are responsible and tough. :tongue_smilie:My husband is the oldest of two, and HE is the Sweet, Gentle, Caring (but not Daring) Comedian, who is also Mathematical, Inquisitive, and (now that he's married to me) ;) Responsible.

But in looking at the families with 3+ boys here on the board (sig lines that reveal character traits) and IRL, there seems to be a pattern. I have three girls (7.5 & 5.5 twins). Girls are another matter. :D I'm just curious. What do moms of 3+ boys say?

It's not true here. I'd have to mix up the adjectives thoroughly in order to describe my sons. :D

This is *exactly* how it is with my boys, except the third isn't rugged/tough -- he's an artistic, charming comedian/ladies' man. I have a fourth and it's hard to tell yet (he's two), but so far I'd say he's independent and stubborn. Or maybe he's just two. :tongue_smilie:

It fits for us. Add in another middle child who is also a sweet gentle boy, and it would fit perfectly. As you can see from my signature, the eldest is indeed "engineer". But the 2nd and 3rd will probably be engineers as well even though their personalities are very different from 1st (I'd add "bossy" to the description of #1). Number 4 is every bit as sensitive and sweet, but he just doesn't want anyone else to know it :) I have found him in bed at night sobbing for the pain a friend is enduring...but during the day, it's "body builder" tough guy :).

FWIW, all my boys are very sweet and sensitive to others. It is just expressed differently in each of them. And both 3 and 4 are "rugged". They hunt, skin, camp out, and can live in the same clothes for at least a week :)

I'm not sure that's necessarily true of my boys. They do have an older sister, fwiw.

DS1 -- he's shy, sweet, gentle, kind, a little spacey, very careful and deliberate, very mathematical, seems musical. I can see him developing a few very close relationships throughout his life but nurturing those carefully. "The Engineer" would fit him well, I think. He's very eager to please but often has his head in the clouds. :)

DS2 -- he's hilarious, a comedian and entertainer, daring and tough. I always said he was like the Timex of babies -- he'd get bonked and just keep going. He doesn't hold a grudge and is almost always sunny. I can see him on stage, bringing joy to many people. He could easily be "the Bulldozer," except that he's very willing to help and eager to please. He has a large amount of executive function for a 3yo, LOL. (He's also my only child so far who can be bribed; DD sees through any sort of trick, and DS1 won't do anything unless it's on his timetable. However, DS2 can be cajoled with a treat or something.)

DS3 -- he's the baby. He's also showing signs of being tough and rugged; he can't walk yet, but he climbs more than the other two boys did.

Edited by happypamama

Nope - doesn't fit my boys at all.

First DS: very bright, very creative, not very responsible AT ALL

Second DS: very bright, thoughtful and VERY responsible

Third DS: (so far) wild & crazy, VERY helpful

We've often said that DS11 has no business being the first born - he is just not that typical first born child. But we are keeping him anyway :D

My dh is one of three boys and it doesn't fit them at all. Well, the eldest is very accomplished etc, but I think that has a lot more to do with it being a family that put a lot of value on the whole 'oldest boy' thing. He has always been The King, and the younger boys were Not The King.

I have two boys and they are very much a mix of all of that. But, my kids are 5 years apart in age. I always say that I have an only child (the eldest) and an oldest child (the younger). In all those 'how does your place in the sibling order effect you' that is how they measure up.

'The Oldest Son' describes my eldest to a 'T', but he is also quite sensitive. I have two 'middles': DS11 does not conform at all to your description, he's a bit wild, impulsive and self-centred, but also really good fun; DS8 does conform more closely, but is also very similar in many ways to DS13, the oldest, as he's also an 'engineer' type. DS5, 'The Youngest Son', is tough, and rough, but it seems hard to believe that it could be due to birth order as he's been that way since he was a couple of months old, scratching, pulling hair, etc :lol:. DS5 also has quite a sensitive, sweet side to him too.

Broadly speaking, though, I'd agree with your analysis. It really is quite fascinating.

Ds #1= Sensitive, daring, Responsible, mathematical, inquisitive. Our accountant

Ds #2= Sensitive, sweet, and rugged, daring. Our park ranger.

Ds #3= Sensitive, sweet, and comedian. Our historian.

Ds #4= Sensitive, sweet, and inquisitive. Our scientist.

My introverted self was blessed 4 times with introverted boys.

The bolded fits my three, even though my middle child is a girl. :001_smile:

It's pretty interesting, too, but my DH is the oldest of three boys. He is an electrician/teacher and fits the description for the oldest. His middle brother is a school psychologist and his youngest brother is a physical trainer and very athletic. Funny!

Edited by Princess Peach

It's not the case here. My oldest son is responsible, but he's not mathematical or inquisitive. Definitely not the engineer. He's very into how "buff" he is (even though he thinks he's way "buffer" than he really is:lol:).

My SECOND son is, however. Iffy on the responsibility...we call him The Absent-Minded Professor. He also tries to be a comedian, but he's not exactly funny. ROFLOL!!!

My third son is a middle child (#4 of 8), so he is all about doing stuff to stick out. Flashy shoes and glasses. Anything so he's not forgotten or left behind.

My 4th son...well, he's 2.5. We call him The Raccoon because that's just how he acts. LOL

Spot. On. Too funny.

That is EXACTLY my MIL's three boys.

My two boys are like the oldest and the youngest with no middle.

My brother's three kids are very much like that - oldest is a girl, responsible but not mathematical, middle is a sensitive and mathematical boy, and youngest (boy) is an absolute bruiser of a child, scares the pants off the oldest two!

Edited by RanchGirl

This fits my three boys, although they are all very young.

My second is a bit more responsible at times, and the oldest can be something of a dreamer to balance his engineer qualities. :)

#3 is spot on, especially as he's a toddler. :lol: He is certainly more daring and physical than the older two were. I don't expect that will change.

My MIL has two boys, and my husband is the younger. He and his brother are very like descriptions #1 and #2, but swapped.

I wouldn't say that fits dh and his brothers. Dh is the middle child, oldest son he is rugged daring and tough, but very inquisitive, got him in a lot of trouble. The middle brother is more responsible and mathematical, the youngest is sensitive, sweet and gentle.

Dh is a doer, middle brother is the thinker, and youngest is a peace maker.

I don't have 3 BOYS, but that pretty much sums up my children in birth order. :D

Well, I don't have 3 boys, I just have two - and my oldest is a lot like 'the engineer' with a little of 'the counselor' and the younger is some of 'the counselor' and some of 'the comedian'. :)

But DH has 3 brothers and I wouldn't necessarily say they fit that profile. The oldest maybe, but he's also one of those people who is SO socially awkward (which isn't a bad thing, per se, but he is also kind of aggressive so most of the time he just comes off as rude or uncaring)... second might fit more into the third, but the third is definitely the second (DH is the 3rd, but he's definitely 'the counselor'). The fourth, Idk. Go figure, I know him the best of my BILs (he was 16 when DH and I got married) but I can't figure out where he would fit. :)

I have five boys, so I suppose that throws it off, but it doesn't really fit anyway.

#1 - Sensitive, cautious, conscientious. A people-pleaser.

#2 - Responsible, confident, inquisitive. A natural leader.

#3 - Outgoing, funny, energetic. Mr. Charisma.

#4 - Hard-working, tough, responsible. A quieter leader.

#5 - Sweet, gentle. A Mama's boy. :)

The Youngest Son = Rugged, Daring, Tough = "The Bulldozer/Comedian

My oldest is no responsible and has been a very anxious child, the rest fits him.

Middle son is spot on .

Youngest, he's a comedian alright, very witty, funny and always wants to make us laugh.

I don't have 3 sons, but I do have 3 brothers. Most of the above adjectives do not fit their personalities.

This is true of my boys. There are few other adjectives I'd use to describe them, but this is truer in general. Boy #4 should be interesting. He is spoiled rotten by his brothers and I'm wondering how that is going to affect his personality.

The bolded fits my three, even though my middle child is a girl. :001_smile:

It's pretty interesting, too, but my DH is the oldest of three boys. He is an electrician/teacher and fits the description for the oldest. His middle brother is a school psychologist and his youngest brother is a physical trainer and very athletic. Funny!

:svengo:Wow. That's amazing, really? I am so fascinated by birth order, I wonder what being, say, Sibling #2 does to a person? What if you're Sibling #2 for years -- and that's the "baby" of the family -- and then Sibling #3 comes along and makes you "the middle brother?" I remember my parents talking about having "just one more" when I was about 4 years old. I remember the panic! LOL! No, I was the baby.

I was friends with someone in college who did her senior psych research project on birth order (firstborns) and leadership. It interested me then and now. I just wonder, I think it's more than coincidence when I know of many families that sort of fit the profile. Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Edited by Sahamamama

:svengo:Wow. That's amazing, really? I am so fascinated by birth order, I wonder what being, say, Sibling #2 does to a person? What if you're Sibling #2 for years -- and that's the "baby" of the family -- and then Sibling #3 comes along and makes you "the middle brother?" I remember my parents talking about having "just one more" when I was about 4 years old. I remember the panic! LOL! No, I was the baby.

I was friends with someone in college who did her senior psych research project on birth order (firstborns) and leadership. It interested me then and now. I just wonder, I think it's more than coincidence when I know of many families that sort of fit the profile. Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I know! I'm going to have to remember to tell DH when he gets home. It was funny because when I replied, I was just thinking of my kids, then it hit me - duh, DH is one of 3 boys and I was shocked when I saw how well it fit. I find birth order fascinating, too. :001_smile:

Yep, this is my experience. Although with a slight caveat: older ds is very funny but in a very clever, witty way, while younger ds is more funny in a slapstick sort of way.

I know! I'm going to have to remember to tell DH when he gets home. It was funny because when I replied, I was just thinking of my kids, then it hit me - duh, DH is one of 3 boys and I was shocked when I saw how well it fit. I find birth order fascinating, too. :001_smile:

Ask him why he thinks it sometimes turns out this way. :bigear:

Dr. Kevin Lehman, author of the Birth Order Book, says that birth order definitely makes a difference, for girls as well as for boys. The first-born tends to be more responsible, the baby tends to be more of a clown, the ones in the middle can go either way. :lol:

So, yes, yours sound like they're meeting their birth order behaviors. The sweet counselor part can show up in almost anyone, though. :)

Yes, this would describe my three oldest sons. The oldest just graduated with a degree in engineering degree and definitely fits your description. The second is very different from #1, but we joke that he knows how to "suck up". His grandmother sends him money sometimes just because he's the only one who takes the time to call regularly and tell her he loves her. He also really likes animals. The third son is not necessarily tough although he likes people to think he is and he really is the comedian/class clown type.