Menu

graphic novels--opinions please

what are your opinions of graphic novels (not for required school reading, but just free time reading)?? I can't decide if I like them or not...does it dumb down books that come in regular form, making them (the "regular" book) not as appealing...or are they a good introduction? Please share all thoughts...good, bad or indifferent. thanks.

I don't know about graphic versions of regular books, but as a stand-alone for free reading I'm pretty impressed with some that I've seen. My 7yo is drawn to these in a way that my 10yo never was. Our library has a few history titles, including Spartacus and Harriet Tubman, that she's really enjoyed. Zita the Spacegirl is a hit with both my dc right now, and the 10yo has gotten into Asterix because my dh had them when he was little. I don't think it would be harmful to read a graphic version of a classic, or take away the interest in the "real thing" as long as they know it's not the whole story (like a movie of a book is never the whole story).

If you're talking about adaptations... Meh. Although I have found some of the Greek and other myths to be fun.

More traditional graphic novels can be literature...Maus, Persepolis, Sandman. I am keeping those from my son until he's older.

I think they are fine so long as they are age-appropriate. My DS is currently reading a graphic novel adaptation of The Hobbit. My oldest DD loves the No-Fear Shakespeare graphic novels of Hamlet and MacBeth. These don't replace reading the original classics when the time comes, but familiarizing them with the plot helps make those novels/plays less intimidating.

I grew up watching the Mr. Magoo TV cartoon versions of the classics and found those very helpful when I got assigned the originals in high school/college.

I have one dc who read everything under the sun. I didn't tell he couldn't read anything because he read it all. Why not have something not assigned that he thinks is fun

I also have a dc who reads a fair amount now, but didn't used to. I didn't tell her she couldn't read stuff, because I saw her picking something out on her own as a chance to experience reading for pleasure as an activity.

As long as it's not offensive, violent, sexually explicite otherwise problematic. It's OK in my house.

They also know these versions are not to be relied upon for academic work.

For some students with LD's (and some just plain reluctant readers) there are some graphic novel series which can be a good intro to a piece of literature. This can help the student prepare to read the actual piece. You would need to review the particular graphic novel carefully to see how it fit with the actual work.

I do not read graphic novels myself, but I acknowledge that there are some high quality graphic novels around; it is its own genre. Persepolis? definitely. Asterix? Great (especially in French)

But if you mean graphic novel adaptations of actual literature? I don't like them at all. If I want an introduction to a good book that is too hard for my kid to read, I get it as audiobook with the original text, not as a comic book.

I was initially against them BUT theya re what got my boys reading. For ds9 he has checked out the same one fromthe library repeatedly as he slowly learns to read. It is his motivation to be able to read the whole thing before it is returned. He hasn't done so yet but keeps trying.

DS14 Went from hating reading, to reading graphic novels, to reading graphic novels of classic books, to reading junior editions of the classics to now taking a lit class of the great books. For him it was a great thing to allow because it got him reading for pleasure. Prior to that he only read what I assigned and not happily I might add. Reading was a chore. Now he is found reading books everywhere he goes, and only about 1/2 the time now are they graphic novels.

But if you mean graphic novel adaptations of actual literature? I don't like them at all. If I want an introduction to a good book that is too hard for my kid to read, I get it as audiobook with the original text, not as a comic book.

Some kids are visual learners, however. I'm an auditory learner, so I'm with you in preferring the audio book. But my DS is a VSL and I've learned he retains way more information if it's presented visually.

what are your opinions of graphic novels (not for required school reading, but just free time reading)?? I can't decide if I like them or not...does it dumb down books that come in regular form, making them (the "regular" book) not as appealing...or are they a good introduction? Please share all thoughts...good, bad or indifferent. thanks.

I think it depends on the book in question. Some are well done, some are not.

I would not encourage my child to read a graphic novel adaptation of a book they were perfectly capable of reading in the original form (at least until they'd already read the original), nor allow it to take the place of reading the original as assigned reading.

I've found that, for books that are beyond his reading level, my DS would rather listen to audiobooks of the original than read a graphic novel version.

I love graphic novels that were written to be graphic novels.

LOVE THEM!

Diamond is a voracious, compulsive reader. But some thing, she just can't get interested in... Manga Shakespeare has REALLY sparked her interest in Shakespeare... and we often go to see the play before she reads it. And this just topped it all off... got the DVD from the library http://www.reducedshakespeare.com/productions/the-complete-works-of-william-shakespeare-abridged/

We had so much fun with Beowulf- we read the graphic novel to get an overview of the story, then watched http://www.bagbybeowulf.com/dvd/ with the English subtitles- again, experiencing it being recited as it was originally intended... then she read excerpts from the book.

So, in my opinion, the DVDs, graphic novels, etc. are a great help to my girls' enjoyment and education. I use as many as I can.

I think they are fine so long as they are age-appropriate. My DS is currently reading a graphic novel adaptation of The Hobbit. My oldest DD loves the No-Fear Shakespeare graphic novels of Hamlet and MacBeth. These don't replace reading the original classics when the time comes, but familiarizing them with the plot helps make those novels/plays less intimidating.

I grew up watching the Mr. Magoo TV cartoon versions of the classics and found those very helpful when I got assigned the originals in high school/college.

Any links to No Fear Shakespeare? Are these graphic novels? :001_smile:

My boys LOVE graphic novels!! I let them read them liberally, but only during their free time. We own tons & there are some at the library that they check out over & over. I'm totally cool with it. That said, I check content carefully. Just today we were at the used bookstore & DS9 'casually' selected his book. Uh, No. We don't do vampires in this house.

I love graphic novels! I just finished a dr. Who graphic novel today. I wouldn't substitute a graphic novel version for a regular book. I just read a version of coralline and it was great but I've read the book before. Dd started reading a lot more when I began bring home comics for her. She has even read some clean young adult novels so the readig level was not low. She likes reading the short bursts of words more than long pages.

I like them. The artwork in many of them is really really good. My dd actually writes graphic novels. I see her working on them and the amount of time she puts in to the drawing is incredible. If one looks at it from a strictly literary perspective it will probably fall short, but if the artistic element is considered I think it has a rightful place of it's own. :)

I like them.

Comics get a bad rap here and some graphic novels are simply a collection of several comics, but then there's ones http://www.amazon.com/Persepolis-Story-Childhood-Marjane-Satrapi/dp/037571457X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347090604&sr=8-1&keywords=Persepolis whose story might not otherwise been known. Like any written work, some are better than others. However, I find the writing of graphic novels to be better than some comics or adult literature (*cough 50 Shades of Gray cough*).