Menu

Recommendations for switching away from R&S spelling to something less time consuming

ThelmaLou

My 8th grader is overwhelmed this year with the addition of some new co-op classes. I'm trying to lighten his load a bit, but feel he still needs to be doing some spelling. I'm looking for the most straightforward spelling approach possible (and least time-consuming). Thinking Spelling Power would fit this description. Any other suggestions?

My 8th grader is still doing spelling. He is still working on the basic spelling patterns, though. We are using Sequential Spelling for Adults. I gave him the pre-test and we are focusing on those words. The program seems easy for him, but we did it last year and he improved by leaps and bounds. When he is done with these few months of review, I'm looking for a book covering the most commonly misspelled words--I thought about Spelling Plus: 1000 words toward spelling success. I thought I'd just dictate the words to him one at a time and when we came across one he couldn't spell, he'd study it (copy it three times)--repeated every day with a test every 5 or so days.

My dd has used Spelling Power, and it took her at most 15 minutes per day. They are only studying the words they do not know how to spell, so it is time saving in that way. I own R&S 4 but we aren't using it. I'm switching her to LOE because I feel she needs remediation. Another program that would not be time consuming (though not cheap) would be IEW's Phonetic Zoo.

I'm looking for the most straightforward spelling approach possible (and least time-consuming).
Without the context from the rest of your post, I would have answered this with R&S. My ds using the 8 book takes an average of 20 minutes to get his lessons done, three times a week. The other two days it's just me calling his words.

That DS has been using R&S for years now; he's very accustomed to them. Maybe a step back to the 7 book would work better?

I've heard good things about MegaWords for older kids.

I'll have to look into Sequential Spelling for Adults. Why not the one for kids? Is your son already beyond that one?

My other kids are using Sequential Spelling levels 1&2. I did not have my oldest working in level 3 (where he left off) because I wanted to speed it up for him. The For Adults program covers the same sounds, but with less repetition so it goes faster.

Without the context from the rest of your post, I would have answered this with R&S. My ds using the 8 book takes an average of 20 minutes to get his lessons done, three times a week. The other two days it's just me calling his words.

That DS has been using R&S for years now; he's very accustomed to them. Maybe a step back to the 7 book would work better?

I've heard good things about MegaWords for older kids.

:iagree:

R&S Spelling is what takes the least amount of time--even less than Sequential Spelling & Spelling Power.

I had purchased R&S spelling for my 8th grader and decided against using it just because of how long it takes her. She used R&S 7 last year and it was just too much. She was unable to even make it through the book.

we have been using Spelling Power, but I decided to drop it and just have her work on her misspelled words in her writing.