Menu

Math Help Please!!!

lexi

Ok, so mom apparently is not that great at math and I'm just stumped.

We are doing MEP Year 1 and we are on Lesson 30. I don't get what they are asking for on number 2. The answer key is here.

It shows a thermometer and reads- How many degrees is:

2* more than 1* 2-1=

2* more than 0* 2-0=

2* more than -1* 2- (-1)=

0* more than 2* 0-2=

I don't understand where they are coming up with the equations. To me, 2* more than 1* should equal 3* and I would write the equation 2+1=3. Obviously I am totally missing something on all of these.

Can someone please clarify??? And then help me tangibly show the problems to my daughter. I just don't get it and I can't explain it to her.

How can 1st grade math possibly be this confusing? :tongue_smilie:

I also had to do a double take on this one - look on the thermometer and find 2 degrees C - they are asking by how much is 2C more than 1C. It is only one jump from 1C to 2C which is why the subtraction happens. Or you can look at it as "the difference" between 2C and 1C and "the difference" always means subtraction.

To show your daughter I would draw a much bigger thermometer and label it then ask her how many jumps you have to do to get from one temperature to the other one. Don't worry too much about why the last is a negative number if she gets it great, if not negative numbers are usually beyond the scope of first grade work - just tell her you have to count in the opposite direction (up or down the thermometer)

It shows a thermometer and reads- How many degrees is:

2* more than 1* 2-1=

2* more than 0* 2-0=

2* more than -1* 2- (-1)=

0* more than 2* 0-2=

I wonder if this is an English English vs. American English thing? or if it is a "we're trying to introduce greater than/less than here?

Anyway, I reworded it for my students so the "more" is before the first temperature:

They want to know how many degrees more is 2* than 1* ... if you picture the "more than" as > it makes more sense :)