Menu

Bodies Revealed

I saw this one or another one like it several years ago and found it very disturbing. Some of the bodies were displayed in undignified, grotesque ways that I felt were not showing proper respect for the people who once inhabited those bodies. It's hard to describe. I wasn't grossed out or upset by the biology aspect of it all (I found that fascinating) but some of the corpses were definitely unnerving. It almost seemed like they were trying to make art out of the bodies instead of using them for science, and I considered that to fall into the category of "exploitation." You don't make art out of dead bodies. I feel very unsettled and bothered by it any time I think of that exhibit.

I saw this one or another one like it several years ago and found it very disturbing. Some of the bodies were displayed in undignified, grotesque ways that I felt were not showing proper respect for the people who once inhabited those bodies. It's hard to describe. I wasn't grossed out or upset by the biology aspect of it all (I found that fascinating) but some of the corpses were definitely unsettling. It almost seemed like they were trying to make art out of the bodies instead of using them for science, and I considered that to fall into the category of "exploitation." You don't make art out of dead bodies. I feel very unsettled and bothered by it any time I think of that exhibit.

That basically sums it up for me. I could not see it again for sure. I cannot quite put my finger on the exactly what made it so bothersome.

I saw this one or another one like it several years ago and found it very disturbing. Some of the bodies were displayed in undignified, grotesque ways that I felt were not showing proper respect for the people who once inhabited those bodies. It's hard to describe. I wasn't grossed out or upset by the biology aspect of it all (I found that fascinating) but some of the corpses were definitely unnerving. It almost seemed like they were trying to make art out of the bodies instead of using them for science, and I considered that to fall into the category of "exploitation." You don't make art out of dead bodies. I feel very unsettled and bothered by it any time I think of that exhibit.

:iagree:

I agree, even though I haven't seen the exhibit. Just not my thing.

This exhibit is coming to our local science center. Any tips/warnings from those of you who have seen it? I'm fairly certain my dds will like it, but I'm thinking it'd freak out the 5yo, so I may have dh take the big kids, himself.

We saw one of the Bodies exhibits, but I don't remember which one (there are several similar touring exhibits). We found it fascinating, and I would definitely see one again. My DS is somewhat squeamish and chose not to visit the part of the exhibit that included preserved fetuses. I can certainly see how people might find that disturbing, and that section was in a separate little room so people who wanted to avoid it wouldn't have to see it.

We also saw the animal version of the Bodies exhibit, Animals Inside Out, in London in May, and that was aMAZing!!! It included a life-size giraffe and elephant, among many other specimens.

Jackie

I've seen Body Worlds twice now and found it totally fascinating. I wish I could explain how much I fought seeing it because I didn't think I'd be able to handle it. We went last week and took the whole family, 5 kids ages 6 - 16. They were given the option to not go or leave at any time and they all went all the way through. It is VERY educational. I don't think my littles will ever think of smoking and not see that black lung! The artery 'film' made a huge impact about why we should eat right and exercise. Had we been required to pay $25-$30 for each kid I probably wouldn't have taken them but we actually got in for about $6.

The previous posters 'disturbingly fascinating' is a very appropriate description!

Edited by connib

I realize everyone has different views/values, and I offer this not in judgement, but just for info. We chose not to see it when it came here because of ethical concerns. There are some questions about where the bodies came from and whether or not them came from executed prisoners in China. Unless I knew that all the people who were exhibited willingly donated their bodies to be used in this manner I wouldn't want to view them. Just something to think about.

Mary

I realize everyone has different views/values, and I offer this not in judgement, but just for info. We chose not to see it when it came here because of ethical concerns. There are some questions about where the bodies came from and whether or not them came from executed prisoners in China. Unless I knew that all the people who were exhibited willingly donated their bodies to be used in this manner I wouldn't want to view them. Just something to think about.

Mary

My concern is the origin of the bodies.

The original Bodies exhibit was using the remains of prisoners from China, which were released to the Chinese police who sold it to the makers of the exhibit. So, they might be exhibiting the remains of possible political prisoners, toture and execution victims. Their families did not consent.

This is sufficient reason for me to boycott the exhibit.

I do not know whether Bodies Revealed has the same issues with the origin of their remains. All other issues aside, I would want to make certain that the dead and their families consented to this exhibition.

We were typing at the same time.

My concern is the origin of the bodies.

The original Bodies exhibit was using the remains of prisoners from China, which were released to the Chinese police who sold it to the makers of the exhibit. So, they might be exhibiting the remains of possible political prisoners, toture and execution victims. Their families did not consent.

This is sufficient reason for me to boycott the exhibit.

I do not know whether Bodies Revealed has the same issues with the origin of their remains. All other issues aside, I would want to make certain that the dead and their families consented to this exhibition.

I was dying to go see it but I was around 11 when it came to town so my mother was not to keen on the idea. I did not see the big deal because I read medical texts all the time. I really like that display it was so interesting and really I did not care about the bodies because well... their dead. I plan on donating my organs and body so Its not a big deal. :lol:

We saw Bodies when it was fairly new. The ethics concerns really only became widely publicized after that time, and knowing what I know now, I would not have attended.

I chose to attend as I did cadaver dissection as part of my professional training, and it was extraordinarily valuable. It isn't easy to find continuing ed, etc. with cadavers available, but there's no way to match the learning that comes from seeing it first-hand on a human body.

However, in my university program, reverence and respect for the bodies was really emphasized. I just felt kind of icky about the treatment and display of the bodies used in the exhibit we saw. It was a good refresher for me at the time in terms of what I had studied, but, I do think it was not as respectful as it could have been.

I know most exhibits now insist they obtained the bodies ethically, but there are still some doubts.

I don't find it gruesome or anything, but again, I spent a lot of time in cadaver lab in college doing dissections and studying, so I'm not the best judge.

I did not care about the bodies because well... their dead. I plan on donating my organs and body so Its not a big deal.

Not a big deal??? Your wish to donate your body is quite a different thing. The big deal here is that the dead who are being exhibited did not donate their bodies - their bodies were taken without their or their families' consent. They are the bodies of prisoners whose remains did not get released to families, but taken and sold by the Chinese police.

Having grown up in a totalitarian regime where political dissenters would just disappear in prison, the idea of a family member dying in prison and his corpse being sold so it could be displayed in America actually seems like a very big deal to me.

Edited by regentrude

I know that there were concerns about the use of prisoners in the original exhibit, but according to this FAQ, the specimens used in the current Bodies Revealed exhibit were all donated:

Our suppliers have confirmed that all of the bodies and organ specimens in BODIES REVEALED came from individuals who chose to donate their bodies to accredited medical universities in the People’s Republic of China. ... All individuals died from natural causes. In addition our full time anatomist and biological anthropologist have examined the specimens and have never found any evidence of trauma associated with physical abuse. In a number of cases throughout the exhibition, our medical director has been able to identify the obvious medical problems that the specimen suffered from, and, where appropriate, it is so indicated. For example, a lung is displayed and the disease is identified as emphysema, so those who see it can gain a clearer understanding of this disease.

Jackie

I know that there were concerns about the use of prisoners in the original exhibit, but according to this FAQ, the specimens used in the current Bodies Revealed exhibit were all donated:

I would still feel more confidence in this statement if the donated bodies had originated in a country that upholds human rights. Unfortunately, I have reason to be skeptical if those voluntary donations originate in a communist country... the communist government under which I grew up would have had plenty of ways to coerce consent.

I would still feel more confidence in this statement if the donated bodies had originated in a country that upholds human rights. Unfortunately, I have reason to be skeptical if those voluntary donations originate in a communist country... the communist government under which I grew up would have had plenty of ways to coerce consent.

Yes, the fact that the bodies do indeed come from China. . . I don't trust it.

Not a big deal??? Your wish to donate your body is quite a different thing. The big deal here is that the dead who are being exhibited did not donate their bodies - their bodies were taken without their or their families' consent. They are the bodies of prisoners whose remains did not get released to families, but taken and sold by the Chinese police.

Having grown up in a totalitarian regime where political dissenters would just disappear in prison, the idea of a family member dying in prison and his corpse being sold so it could be displayed in America actually seems like a very big deal to me.

Well right now that what you THINK is happening but the official statement disagrees if bodies were taken without consent sorry. If they were taken with consent their choice. As far as bad governments trust me my grandparents and most of my extended family came from a government like this and I have heard the horror stories that make your skin crawl. It must have been awful for you and for that I am very sorry :(

Edited by brandigirl

Well right now that what you THINK is happening but the official statement disagrees if bodies were taken without consent sorry. If they were taken with consent their choice.

I was responding to your post where you state

I was dying to go see it but I was around 11 when it came to town so my mother was not to keen on the idea. I did not see the big deal

so you were referring to the original Bodies exhibit for which the bodies had been obtained by the police without consent. This fact has been established and the company was forced to put a disclaimer with their exhibit.

I was responding to your post where you state

so you were referring to the original Bodies exhibit for which the bodies had been obtained by the police without consent. This fact has been established and the company was forced to put a disclaimer with their exhibit.

oh jeez I thought we were talking about the exhibit now not before if you bring up everything wrong in an organization even after they have fixed it you would not be able to go anywhere.

We saw one of the exhibits a few years ago (no idea which one). My dd went with her ballet school, and one of the models was correctly positioned as a ballet dancer...in pointe shoes, even. It was totally fascinating, and if any if your kids are interested in a career in medicine, I highly recommend it.

Mary

This is why we chose not to see it also.

Both of my children were adopted from China. I had heard that Bodies was in Myrtle Beach when we were going to be there last year, so I looked it up online. While I was reading about it my ds7 walked up to me and saw some of the pictures. It took him about 5 seconds to ask, "Are those people from China?" :sad:

I read the FAQs and was very uncomfortable about the origin of the bodies. Knowing what I know about human rights in China I didn't feel like we could go see the exhibit. Regardless of how the bodies were obtained, I would not have taken my children once I realized all the bodies were from China. I think it would have been too disturbing for them.