Menu

RS solitaire chain games - help!

ScoutTN

Okay, I'm obviously a dummy, but I don't understand how to play these games!

I understand the addition and how the sum (or the ones in the sum) makes then next number. I do not understand how to play.

Once the cards are laid out (for the short chain, A47 in the games book) in 9 fans of 4, what do you do? How do you get the right numbers to the top?

What rules govern how you can move cards or stacks of cards?

I've never played a solitaire game where there is no deck to deal from at any point in the game. DD and I were frustrated with this today. We are in RS C and this is the first game we haven't liked/played.

Please clue me in so I don't feel so stupid! :confused:

Okay, I'm obviously a dummy, but I don't understand how to play these games!

I understand the addition and how the sum (or the ones in the sum) makes then next number. I do not understand how to play.

Once the cards are laid out (for the short chain, A47 in the games book) in 9 fans of 4, what do you do? How do you get the right numbers to the top?

What rules govern how you can move cards or stacks of cards?

I've never played a solitaire game where there is no deck to deal from at any point in the game. DD and I were frustrated with this today. We are in RS C and this is the first game we haven't liked/played.

Please clue me in so I don't feel so stupid! :confused:

I don't recall how to move 'stacks of cards'. We don't do that, so I'm not sure on that one...

However, we set up the row of cards as suggested in the rules. Then we start at the left-most pair of cards. If one of the cards at the TOP of one of the 9 fans equals the sum of those two cards, we move it to that stack. Then We move to the next stack and do the same thing.

If there isn't a card on the top of the fans that equals the two cards in the particular stack we're on, we skip it, and move to the next one. If we can't make a play at all, we shuffle all the cards in the fans and rearrange them (but you're only allowed one shuffle per game). Keep going until the fans are gone!

Hope that helps.

I will check on YT, thanks for the suggestion!

MO, I still don't understand how to move cards. Is the top of the pile the first card, (the one on the table) or the last one, (the one you can see all of)?

The book says to put all the cards out in 9 fans of 4.

I know I am very obtuse to not get this!

I will check on YT, thanks for the suggestion!

MO, I still don't understand how to move cards. Is the top of the pile the first card, (the one on the table) or the last one, (the one you can see all of)?

The book says to put all the cards out in 9 fans of 4.

I know I am very obtuse to not get this!

The top card of the fan is the one that doesn't have any other cards laying on top of it. So it would be the card that you can see all of.

The way we played it, was after setting up the start of the chains and the fans, he could play the top card of any fan to an appropriate chain. The strategy comes in where some of the fans have the same top card. Then you have to choose which one of those cards to play based on the cards below it and which ones you want to open up for play (which is why the cards are arranged in a fan).

So, for example if two of your fans were:

3 9 4 1 (where 1 is the top card of the fan)

and

5 7 3 1 (again 1 is the top of the fan)

and you need a 1 for one of the chains, but you also knew that you would need a 3 soon for another chain, you would choose to play the 1 from the bottom fan as it would open up a 3 sooner than if you took the 1 from the top fan.

Hope that helps.