Menu

Carpet emergency!! Please HELP!

UGH.....so, I asked DH to take the garbage out before work this morning, because when I tried to do it, it made me gag. He agreed....and did it as I asked. When I got up this morning (he leaves before anyone else is up) the house smelled HORRIBLE. I assumed it was the empty garbage can. I immediately sprayed it down with cleaner and filled it with hot water to soak. I sat down on the couch and the smell was still so, so, SO strong.

I wander the house and realize that the bag must've been leaking a FOUL, FOUL substance and DH set it down several times on his way to the back door to take it out. Now, he has a spinal cord injury and I know he must've been losing his balance with that VERY full bag, but maybe take the whole can then and transfer outside?? Ugh, I guess that's water under the bridge at this point.

So, there is clearly a large spot of "garbage juice" on my carpet by the back door. The smell is permeating the entire house. I know there must be several more that are NOT visible between the kitchen and the doorway. I go back to start cleaning up the large spot and promptly vomit (count that as my first vomit of the pregnancy - lovely).

So, now, here I sit. Wondering. How in the world do I clean up this spot? It is LARGE and absolutely VILE. And....how do I clean up the spots I can't see? I have no idea where they are. I might vomit again just thinking about it. I don't know where to even start. Times like this, I so wish we had a carpet shampooer (is that a word?). I don't even know anybody who has one (who's coming over??). Can I just move out?

And, as a side note....to top it all off, I threw up about 30 min after taking my B6 and Unisom (my saving grace the last week or two), so I have no idea if I even have it in my system.

Please save a poor, sick, pregnant woman from this vile smell.

I would call a carpet cleaning company ASAP. Last year my dog was sick in the middle of the night and I didn't realize it. I came downstairs to piles of sick and diarrhea everywhere. I immediately called several companies to come out and Stanley Steemer was the only one who was willing to do it on such short notice. They did a great job and the stains came out completely.

Hope you feel better soon! (I guess you will in 8 months or so? :tongue_smilie:)

God Bless,

Elise in NC

I would call a carpet cleaning company ASAP. Last year my dog was sick in the middle of the night and I didn't realize it. I came downstairs to piles of sick and diarrhea everywhere. I immediately called several companies to come out and Stanley Steemer was the only one who was willing to do it on such short notice. They did a great job and the stains came out completely.

This. My dh is a professional carpet cleaner.

But first of all - blot it - DON'T RUB - with white paper towels to soak up as much of the nasty as you can. Have the kids stand on large stacks of towels - you want to blot up as much of the water/wet part as you can to keep it from getting into the pad underneath.

Hope this helps!

They will be able to get all of it, as it is probably set deeply in the carpet. If you don't get it all, the smell will come back.

I would be cautious about the dish soap. We have new carpet that something spilled on this week. When I looked at the care pages on how to clean it they said to use dish soap that did not have 3 specific ingredients or I might end up bleaching that section of carpet. I ended up using something else because I couldn't find an ingredient list on my dish soap.

When we had a larger area of carpet that needed to be cleaned upstairs, we rented a carpet cleaner from the local grocery store and it worked great.

WalMart or PetSmart and get Simple Solutions or Nature's Miracle.

Trust me on this!:grouphug:

Yes, Nature's Miracle is the bomb.

I like the "orange" scent, but the unscented works well too. Just follow the bottle instructions, and if it is bad, use the "cover and soak" method for a day or two.

It really is amazing.

We have gobs of dogs (4 now) and cats (4) and kids (3) and all their fluids have been all over carpets at various times. It has worked perfectly for all things. The only thing that is REALLY hard to deal with is cat urine, which, IMHO, requires complete carpet replacement unless it is an isolated incident.

I always have a gallon jug of Nature's Miracle in the closet. If the animals are healthy, it lasts a couple years, just being used occasionally, but if we have an "incident" of acute vomiting or diarhea, I might go through most of a jug in one room! Fortunately, that has only happened every few years.

My method: steam clean the spots ASAP to suck up as much as possible. I "suck" first to remove any wet, then I steam, scrub, steam, etc to remove as much as possible that way. THEN, I use Nature's Miracle overnight or for up to 48 hours using the soak/then cover in a damp towel method (to slow the evaporation and allow the enzymes more time to work). That should do it. Once the stink is all gone, then you can steam clean the whole room to make it pretty. :)

Hope you feel better soon! (I guess you will in 8 months or so? :tongue_smilie:)

God Bless,

Elise in NC

I have no advice besides knowing that you can either call a company or rent carpet shampooers at some grocery or hardware stores. But lots of :grouphug::grouphug:

Believe me....if I could afford it, I definitely would. There is NO WAY I want to go back there and deal with this myself. Gag.

WalMart or PetSmart and get Simple Solutions or Nature's Miracle.

Trust me on this!:grouphug:

Yes, Nature's Miracle is the bomb.

I like the "orange" scent, but the unscented works well too. Just follow the bottle instructions, and if it is bad, use the "cover and soak" method for a day or two.

It really is amazing.

We have gobs of dogs (4 now) and cats (4) and kids (3) and all their fluids have been all over carpets at various times. It has worked perfectly for all things. The only thing that is REALLY hard to deal with is cat urine, which, IMHO, requires complete carpet replacement unless it is an isolated incident.

I always have a gallon jug of Nature's Miracle in the closet. If the animals are healthy, it lasts a couple years, just being used occasionally, but if we have an "incident" of acute vomiting or diarhea, I might go through most of a jug in one room! Fortunately, that has only happened every few years.

My method: steam clean the spots ASAP to suck up as much as possible. I "suck" first to remove any wet, then I steam, scrub, steam, etc to remove as much as possible that way. THEN, I use Nature's Miracle overnight or for up to 48 hours using the soak/then cover in a damp towel method (to slow the evaporation and allow the enzymes more time to work). That should do it. Once the stink is all gone, then you can steam clean the whole room to make it pretty. :)

Okay, where do I find this? In the pet section?

Believe me....if I could afford it, I definitely would. There is NO WAY I want to go back there and deal with this myself. Gag.

Okay, where do I find this? In the pet section?

Yep, it's at Petsmart and Petco. It's anywhere from $13-$20 a bottle, but it's worth EVERY penny!!! You need to just pour it onto the stain and let it sit. The enzymes will eat up the icky stuff.

yes - in walmart it is near the cat stuff in the pet department. in petsmart, it is with all the cleaners.

it saved us from having to replace all the rug in our SUV when the kids were little and a sippy cup of milk got dumped unbeknownst to us and then the truck sat in a hot garage for days.:ack2:

A friend who has a farm and like 20 dogs told me about it.

Oxy...it works much better on food items than anything else I've found. It got ketchup up lickety split last week when carpet cleaner wouldn't touch it.

On the other hand, ds knocked a liter of olive oil open onto my carpet as a toddler. Carpet was ruined. When we pulled it up there was a stain on the wood floorboard! :) Could be worse.