Menu

HOD - Creation to Christ - Q's

SS in MD

Hi all,

I'm thinking of purchasing HOD - Creation thru' Christ for my 3rd & 5th graders. I wanted to ask before I purchased,

- any pros/cons, likes/dislikes??

- any books you would NOT recommend (what you used instead)?

- any place I can purchase the TM used? I've checked WTM Sale & Swap, Homeschool classifieds.

Thank you all!

Sangita

I'm using CTC with my newly 11yods (August Birthday) and it's taken three weeks but we are finally getting into a routine that works. In fact, this is the first Friday he hasn't been completely behind since we started :) We are really enjoying it but I really wouldn't attempt it with a younger age. The history book is challenging as is the geography and Bible Study books. They are great books, but require a level of maturity to really understand.

We're using most of it "as is". We use CLE math rather than Singapore and CLE reading rather than DITHOR. I'm not really excited about WWTB but am trying to give it a fair shot before pulling it off the shelf. We also add in R&S Spelling and Latin.

HTH,

Did you go over the skills chart on the HOD website to make sure that is where they would both place?

I personally would not put a 3rd grader in CTC. My 5th grader is doing Preparing right now and it's been a struggle to find our groove.

HOD has great programs, but the children need to be properly placed.

I'm using CTC with my newly 11yods (August Birthday) and it's taken three weeks but we are finally getting into a routine that works. In fact, this is the first Friday he hasn't been completely behind since we started :) We are really enjoying it but I really wouldn't attempt it with a younger age. The history book is challenging as is the geography and Bible Study books. They are great books, but require a level of maturity to really understand.

We're using most of it "as is". We use CLE math rather than Singapore and CLE reading rather than DITHOR. I'm not really excited about WWTB but am trying to give it a fair shot before pulling it off the shelf. We also add in R&S Spelling and Latin.

HTH,

Thank you so much for your post. We are also using CLE Math & Reading instead of Singpore and DITHOR.

What is WWTB?

The reason I was choosing HOD CTC is my 3rd grader will be 9 yrs in Dec and has tagged along my 11 yo 5th grader since K in history. We've gone through SOTW 1- 4 and wanted to try something else for Ancients.

Which history text and bible study book are you referring to? (that require a level of maturity) - thanks.

I'm assuming the geography book is - A Child's Geography?

Thanks so much for your insight.

Sangita

dd(16),dd(14),dd(11),ds(8)

Can I suggest you look into Preparing? I'm using it for my 9 yr old and nearly 11 yr old. It is a great fit. CtC is quite advanced from what I know. Many feel its middle school level and wait to start it at 6th or 7th grade.

Preparing is a sweep of history. You could add the extension books for your oldest if you wanted. We are enjoying it! It is a good 4th-5th grade curriculum and right on their level.

Thank you so much for your post. We are also using CLE Math & Reading instead of Singpore and DITHOR.

What is WWTB?

The reason I was choosing HOD CTC is my 3rd grader will be 9 yrs in Dec and has tagged along my 11 yo 5th grader since K in history. We've gone through SOTW 1- 4 and wanted to try something else for Ancients.

Which history text and bible study book are you referring to? (that require a level of maturity) - thanks.

I'm assuming the geography book is - A Child's Geography?

Thanks so much for your insight.

Sangita

dd(16),dd(14),dd(11),ds(8)

The Bible Study book is "Genesis: Finding Our Roots" and the history (at the beginning of the year) is The Story of the Ancient World by Christine Miller.

WWTB is Write With The Best, Vol. 1.

As a previous poster said, in order to be happy with HOD, you need to get the placement right and many times that means either using a lower level guide to combine two kids or to use two different guides. I'm running three guides this year to accomodate this issue. My soon to be 9yo is about 7 weeks from finishing the Bigger guide and then he'll be moving into Preparing.

You may want to post your question over on the HOD boards. Carrie would probably be able to give you some really good advice.

I 2nd the recommendation to put them in Preparing together, using the extensions for your older if desired. I had 3rd and 4th graders in Preparing last year, and it was sometimes a stretch for the 3rd grader. I definitely would not put a 3rd grader in CTC. HOD has wonderful programs, but trying to combine dc outside of the recommended ages can require a LOT of tweaking.

Have you looked at My Father's World? It's set up for combining a larger age of ranges. (I have not personally used it though.)

Thank you all for your great advice.

The only reason I was choosing HOD CTC is that in the HOD catalog is said the age range for CTC is 9 - 11 yrs olds and we are starting Ancients.

But, for what you all are saying, it would be stretch for my 8 soon-to-be 9 year old. I'll take a look at some sample pages from the texts.

Thanks so much

Sangita

Thank you all for your great advice.

The only reason I was choosing HOD CTC is that in the HOD catalog is said the age range for CTC is 9 - 11 yrs olds and we are starting Ancients.

But, for what you all are saying, it would be stretch for my 8 soon-to-be 9 year old. I'll take a look at some sample pages from the texts.

Thanks so much

Sangita

Interestingly, I am looking at using HOD CTC next year when MY children will be in the third and fifth grades. We've been doing Trail Guide to Learning POS this year (POE last year) and I want to start a cycle with ancients next year. I've debated about Preparing BUT I do not like the Child's History of the World book. Blech. I had it before and sold it. I feel confident that I can supplement/replace appropriate things for for my younger student for CTC. He follows along with this "a little bit older" program really well. HTH. I am still thinking of doing CTC even though I've read comments otherwise here on your thread.

We are at Unit 8 of HOD and so far we are liking it. My daughter would complain about all the writing (as I require her to do it in cursive) but now she is starting to admire/appreciate her notebook. It is beautiful to see what she is recording and will be a nice keepsake.

We are not doing the Bible Study book, "Genesis:Finding Our Roots," because HOD is already very heavy in Bible (reading, copying, notebooking all involve researching the Bible for verses.)

We are not using WWTB because we like Susan Bauer's WWS. We tried Rod and Staff 5 for grammar but changed it to Junior Analytical grammar instead. We're also using Caesar's English for vocabulary and R & S for spelling.

We like The Golden Bull, The Boy of the Pyramid and the Dinosaur book. These are easy read alouds we've done so far. My daughter could read it herself but whenever I tell her to read it herself, my other daughter would begged me to read to her as well since she's also following the story along. I also have other read-alouds that we picked out either from the library or our own collection.

Some chapters in history and geography are a bit challenging to understand but I would read those parts sometimes and highlight the important points to help her with the comprehension questions. This enables me to discuss and explain rather than "assume" that she's done it independently and that's it. She loves to draw and is making her own Geography notebook based on the lessons we learn.

I believe there's a HOD sell/swap in facebook. There's also a HOD mom yahoo group.

HTH, Enjoy your year with CtC!

I'm not sure if it's been explicitly stated but the placement issue isn't (always) specifically about the texts themselves and their maturity level but the skills being taught in the guide. The use of the placement chart is key to determining if your child is at the skill level required for the guide you're looking at. Notice that stage of the history cycle is way down the list on HOD's intended priorities for placement and Carrie has posts over on the official HOD forums, that you should find very helpful, explaining why age is only one consideration and place in the history cycle is next to none at all - the biggest issue is skill level in the various areas covered.

We did 1850-Modern (using MFW) last year and wanted to do Ancients this year as well. After talking with Carrie on the HOD forum, I changed my mind and decided to do the one year overview of history using Preparing and combining my 3 older ones. I bought Beyond for my youngest as I thought he would gain from the skills it taught. I like Preparing but long to be doing ancients. I liked MFW but found some of the books to be dry. There were some books we loved though. I like the poetry and the slow and steady approach of HOD and we all like Draw and Write a lot! I decided I could easily make Preparing work for my youngest ds7 and merged him in with the others at week4. He doesn't do all of the work alone in the independent blocks nor does he do the writing. But he does the level 2 dictation and I have him do copy work of the poetry. I am thankful to have them all together again. He joined us last year for MFW but left for the heavier texts whenever he wanted to.

I haven't done CTC so can't really attest to whether or not your kids could manage it. But I do think Preparing might be worthwhile to introduce your kids to the independent work that makes HOD such a unique program. Feel free to ask questions if you have any. HTH!

I'm not sure if it's been explicitly stated but the placement issue isn't (always) specifically about the texts themselves and their maturity level but the skills being taught in the guide. The use of the placement chart is key to determining if your child is at the skill level required for the guide you're looking at. Notice that stage of the history cycle is way down the list on HOD's intended priorities for placement and Carrie has posts over on the official HOD forums, that you should find very helpful, explaining why age is only one consideration and place in the history cycle is next to none at all - the biggest issue is skill level in the various areas covered.

I agree. Make sure you check the skills chart first.