Menu

no friends

I'm worried that my DC have no friends to play with. All the kids on our street are several years older and tend to stick with the kids that are their age. The ones who would play with them are never home now due to changing family structure. There is one child that is in between my two older ones ages. However, I do not want them playing with him. I've observed his behavior (hitting his puppy, throwing his cat, running his power wheels into vehicles, etc.) and really don't want my children around that.

They are attending AWANA now on Wednesday nights. I just feel like I would love for them to have kids to play with. We can't afford for them to be in any activities. We are in a small town and have no homeschooling groups.

Please tell me my kids will be fine and aren't missing out on anything. I'm just feeling like a bad mom. Especially with people bringing up the socialization and I don't have anything to point out that they are doing.

Yep, they will be fine. Take them to the park once in awhile and call it done. Seriously, I don't think kids don't need as much peer socialization as people assume. Your kids have each other to play with and they're in AWANA once a week. That's good enough.

Your children are so young. Is there a library story hour they can go to? You get socialization even if you don't get to know the names of the other kids listening to the story. As a PP said, take them to the park. They will be socialized as they learn to wait their turn for the slide. If they go to AWANAs, do they go to church on Sunday too? Even if they are in with adults, they are still learning how to act in society (one of the main goals of socialization). If you are friends with another family in church, invite them over for a meal and some games some time. The family doesn't have to have kids the same ages as yours.

Yep, they will be fine. Take them to the park once in awhile and call it done. Seriously, I don't think kids don't need as much peer socialization as people assume. Your kids have each other to play with and they're in AWANA once a week. That's good enough.

:iagree: Especially when they're so young. I've noticed with my boys that once they get to 10 or 11 yo then friends become more important, but by then they're involved in many more activities anyway. My younger two, DS8 and DS5, even though they do attend activities every day, aren't all that interested in other children, they're perfectly happy with each other and their family.

I worry about this everyday and my kids are lonley. I am not trying to be rude to anyones advice but it is a big deal. Yes my kids have each other but they still want friends. We live in the middle of no where. 20 miles from town actually, gas prices are killing me! ALL the homeschool groups in this area are massive religious. I did manage to go on a field trip last year only to be ignored by every person there and even overhearing a mother telling her young daughter not to speak to mine since we did not go to their church.

We haven't even lived here long and with the way most of the church people we have come across acts we don't want to be around them anyway. All I can say is look for library programs that is about all I can do as well. I can't afford the hundreds of dollars co-ops cost either or other activities.

I worry about this everyday and my kids are lonley. I am not trying to be rude to anyones advice but it is a big deal. Yes my kids have each other but they still want friends. We live in the middle of no where. 20 miles from town actually, gas prices are killing me! ALL the homeschool groups in this area are massive religious. I did manage to go on a field trip last year only to be ignored by every person there and even overhearing a mother telling her young daughter not to speak to mine since we did not go to their church.

We haven't even lived here long and with the way most of the church people we have come across acts we don't want to be around them anyway. All I can say is look for library programs that is about all I can do as well. I can't afford the hundreds of dollars co-ops cost either or other activities.

:grouphug: That's not just lack of friends, that's horrible, hurtful rejection. I'm sorry you've had to go through that, some people are just completely unbelievable :glare:.