Menu

Grammarlouges,Word Voyage, Wordly Wise 3000

ELITEANDLOVINGIT

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have experience with the above online programs? If so, would you please provide a brief review?

:o) Thanks!

Well no one seemed to have experience with the programs, so I decided to take a chance.

I opted for Grammarlouges and Word Voyage through HBC. So far, I DON'T love Grammarlouges, it provides only the answers after the completion of the skill sets, which in my opinion essentially makes the testing useless.

My daughter is masterful at memorization, since the questions aren't randomized when the test is presented again she simply fills in what she remembers without consideration for why the answers are wrong or right.

So now I am looking for ways to supplement...:confused:

There just isn't enough explanation of concepts prior to learning and definitely not enough review.

Thought I would update for the lurkers...:tongue_smilie:

I like Word Voyage...I knew much more about what I was buying because I used the trial period to test it offered through HBC. It is somewhat labor intensive because the student does have to reference the dictionary, find the origin, etc...still I think it is worth while and a solid vocab option.

Does anyone have experience with the above online programs? If so, would you please provide a brief review?

:o) Thanks!

What do you think of Word Voyage? From a quick glance, I wonder if there's even much to do at the lower levels... Personally, I keep eyeing Wordly Wise 3000.

We are using WW3000 online and both my kids really like it. What I like is that you can set your child to whatever level they need, regardless of their grade level. So DS, who is NOT strong in vocab and spelling, is doing level 2, while DD, who IS strong, is doing level 6. The program is completely independent, too, which is great for me. One learning curve we had is that the kids were sort of "playing" it like a video game at first. If they don't get the answer right on the first try, they get a hint, and then by the 3rd or 4th try, the program tells them the answer and they type it in. However, once I showed them their scores from doing that, they straightened up and started putting more effort in. LOL Also, DD has used the workbooks up until now, and she was much slower with those. Using the online program, she can do a full lesson in about two sittings. The program also provides grades for the pretest, each activity, and the post test, so it's easy to see how they're doing. It's working out great, especially for DS. He actually LIKES vocabulary now and can't wait for me to check his grade after his post tests. :D

We've always used Wordly Wise (workbooks), but now that they just released their online version, we switched to that just in the past month. Vocabulary is getting done several times a week, rather than us slacking with the workbooks and only getting to it a few times a month. I no longer have to correct her work but can log in and see her progress. My dd7 does the program about 4x a week and takes 2-3 sessions to finish a lesson.

Even I am using it for grades 9-12. My daughter is thrilled to work on our online vocabulary together. :) I purchased our Wordly Wise Online subscriptions through HSBC at 89% off. They also just offered a science/social studies vocabulary version (same format) at the coop that I'm kinda thinking of getting.

Edited by Satori

We've always used Wordly Wise (workbooks), but now that they just released their online version, we switched to that just in the past month. Vocabulary is getting done several times a week, rather than us slacking with the workbooks and only getting to it a few times a month. I no longer have to correct her work but can log in and see her progress. My dd7 does the program about 4x a week and takes 2-3 sessions to finish a lesson.

Even I am using it for grades 9-12. My daughter is thrilled to work on our online vocabulary together. :) I purchased our Wordly Wise Online subscriptions through HSBC at 89% off. They also just offered a science/social studies vocabulary version (same format) at the coop that I'm kinda thinking of getting.

Thanks for the feedback...It is sooo tempting!