Menu

Anybody just use IEW TWSS and not the continuations?

SFM

My son and I are enjoying the IEW TWSS, we are just now on Unit 2, however, I am seeing that once he learns the concepts we might be able to just apply the "theories" across the board of our curricula? I have SWI-A and I am wondering if I should just send that back and just keep the TWSS and then we can springboard away. I love that IEW has taught him to not be afraid to write and put words on a paper.

Thoughts?

:bigear:

I should note we also use WWE and he has pen pals. I am planning to continue with WWE (although he's not a big fan), we have had to tailor it to meet his needs (like doing the copywork more than one day prior to dicatation, etc.)

I have even been considering MCT as my son is a VS learner and likes things in a "story" format. FLL3 is painful to him, I feel lost.

I have read a few threads where people have only used TWSS successfully. I have read that some have used SWI-A only.

I plan to start with TWSS and use it with All Things Fun and Fascinating, then decide about SWI-A.

I will try to find the threads I read and post the links.

I am pretty sure boscopup uses TWSS and SWI-A.

Here are a few links that might help:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=250983

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=389108

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=405732&page=2

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=258485

I know there was a more recent thread, but I can't find it. Searches for IEW, SWI-A, and TWSS are so difficult.

I'm new to homeschooling and in the interest of both saving money and adjusting it a biy to work for both my 1st and 3rd graders, I got TWSS and not SWI-A. I got TWSS used and the workbook for SWI-A was included so I'll probably base my pacing and scheduling on that, but choosematerials from our other subjects.

I am pretty sure boscopup uses TWSS and SWI-A.

I'm using SWI-A right now (about to start unit 3 in a couple weeks). I have watched most of TWSS and plan to use it alone when we finish SWI-A. I think the instruction in TWSS is sufficient for using the material across curriculum. The teacher workbook has plenty of examples.

The information taught in the TWSS was the original method taught to teachers so that they could then teach across the curricula coming up with their own assignments. The SWI programs came about later to fill the need of those not wanting to plan out a whole year of assignments and not wanting to or not having the time to teach the methods one on one to their students.

If you feel comfortable with teaching all of the units that are covered in the TWSS and are confident that you can come up with your own models (which is super easy to do) then there is no reason to use the SWI programs. They are a convenience. Even Peduwa himself says that the most effective way to teach and learn how to write is to do so within the scope of what you are already learning about in history, science, geography, literature...

Thanks guys! These forums can be so helpful. I thought that was the point of TWSS, train myself to better teach my son. So, I have only gotten through the first two DVDs we shall see how it goes the rest of the year. I also have SWI-A so perhaps we will give it a go because it is lying around anyways. :)

Thank you guys.