Menu

I said goodbye to my dad tonight.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to hold his hand as he slipped from this world. We signed the DNR and told him we'd be okay. He didn't have to fight anymore. Within 3 hours, he was gone.

:grouphug: There is nothing in the world quite like a wonderful daddy, and life will never be the same, but I hope you find, as I have, that time allows the memory of him to become smooth, like a stone in a river--a stone that is comfortable to hold and carry.

:grouphug: There is nothing in the world quite like a wonderful daddy, and life will never be the same, but I hope you find, as I have, that time allows the memory of him to become smooth, like a stone in a river--a stone that is comfortable to hold and carry.

I lost my daddy almost 10 years ago, and I love the way kalanamak put how it feels.

Kalah, it sounds like you also had a wonderful daddy. I am so sorry for your loss.

My dh and I share your parents anniversary. It will be 32 years for us. I will think about you all that day.

I got to hold his hand as he slipped from this world. We signed the DNR and told him we'd be okay. He didn't have to fight anymore. Within 3 hours, he was gone.

My dad was the first man I ever loved. He taught me to be a good person, how to ride a bike and tie my shoes. He always smelled like celery from his job at the grocery store. He worked 2 jobs to support us and decided late in life that his true calling was the ministry. He was fiercely loyal and kind.

He had polio at 3 and was told he wouldn't make it past 20. He was told he couldn't have children. I also have a brother. He loved my boys and was there at their births. Once he was homebound, he continued his ministry on facebook. He always sent cards to all his "old ladies" in his old congration. He loved to argue politics and was a fierce Cardinals fan. He raised 4 younger brothers all by himself.

I'd like to think that he is with his mom tonight. She died when he was 9 and I have her name. He is no longer gasping for breath. He is breathing easy and at peace.

I just can't believe he's gone. Your prayers and good thoughts are coveted. I'm just going to miss him so much. And the next week and month are going to be hard. September 26 would have been my parents' 42nd wedding anniversary.

:grouphug: and prayers for you and your family. It is so hard to loose someone close to you that you love and to see them struggle to the end. I've been there too many times. It does get less painful, but even a post like yours will still bring tears to my eyes years later.

So beautiful and just what I am hoping for. He always carried a stone in his pocket, nice and smooth, to take his worries away.