Menu

Not that I expected anything different

it's more about the themes for the year than the specific sequence of books.

Now, Sleepy Hollow and that being the bulk of the books... that's pathetic. In agreement there.

Yes to the bolded. My high school (10-12 with 9th grade being jr. high) did American Lit., British Lit., and World Lit. It was about the theme, not the grade level.

Sleepy Hollow for high school seniors? :tongue_smilie:

I have no idea what the local PS reads, but in our homeschool, one of EK's assigned books last year for 11th grade was The Scarlet Letter. I think the themes are appropriate for older teens.

This year (12th), she will read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle (among many other works) as she's covering American History 1800-Present. We never read these before because when she was younger, we used BJU Reading, and those stories weren't in the readers.

I'm giving serious consideration to having her read The Great Gatsby this year too. ER never read that one in our homeschool, but he said that when he got to college, most of his classmates in English had read it in high school, and there were references to it in English class discussions.

Edited by ereks mom

Dd17, senior year, senior English.

*headdesk*

Books? Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Rip Van Winkle. The Great Gatsby. The Scarlet Letter.

*bangsheadrepeatedly*

AND they use these books in HONORS English, too!! :svengo:

We need an Education Intervention in this country.

I am SO not putting my others in PS for HS.

Good grief. and then I look at my kids lit class (they are 13 & 14, though the class is technically for 15+)

The Hobbit (this is the one assigned this week- the first 8 chapters ready to discuss for wed)

The Illiad

Antigone by Sophocles

Apology by Plato

Inferno by Dante

Macbeth

As you like it

Father Brown mysteries by Chesterson: the blue cross, The Queer Feet, The Hammer of God

There is only 1 written assignment though, the rest is socratic discussion.

Sleepy hollow, rip van winkle etc the kids are reading here this year too, since they are in SL core 100. Those titles are far too easy for a honor senior's class. Even if you were going with themes, I am sure they could have selected better titles

See, I just don't think an 8th grader has the emotional experience to truly delve into a book like the scarlett letter. You are still too black and white in your thinking at that point. Some of these books really are better with some life experience behind you.

I remember reading the Awakening the first time in highschool and hating it. Read it again in college and it was ok. Read it again after I had my own child, had been in a hard marriage, etc and LOVED it.

I'm really glad I read the book in 8th because I enjoyed it then. I hated it when I read it as an adult. Older dd says her favorite book since the 4th grade is Animal Farm. She rereads it every year, and gains something every time. I don't mind them reading something too early because they can always read it again.