Menu

Thyroid issues and physical exam

It seems like every thread that has anything medical in it gets a comment to have your thyroid checked. Why is this one body part so involved in what seems to be so many issues? I have a physical in October. Should I ask for a check of whatever needs to be checked for just in case? Would that normally be in a physical exam anyway? I've never had a physical but DH recommended I get one.

Boy what an odd coincidence! I had a physical the first week of August and had some blood tests. The results.....I am taking medication for an underactive thyroid. I have only been on the meds for a week so I have no idea if I will be feeling any different (the doctor and pharmacist said it would take aboout a month).

The thyroid controls either directly or indirectly sooooo many things. It is basically the center of all your hormones and tells them where to go and what to do. If your thyroid ain't happy, everything can go out of whack. I had mind removed four years and honestly haven't been the same since. It makes me tired, I gained weight (I don't gain weight normally), it makes me depressed and causes anxiety. The weirdest one is that when I workout, instead of my body using the adrenline to make me feel better like a workout should, it makes me aggressive and angry. It's crazy how many things can be affected by the thyroid. Last time I went to a physical they checked my thyroid automatically - it's how they found the cancer. But before then no one had ever checked it. I might just ask them to. It takes 2 seconds to check for lumps or abnormalties. If there is nothing obvious then they'll probably take a blood sample and check your thyroid levels.

The weirdest one is that when I workout, instead of my body using the adrenline to make me feel better like a workout should, it makes me aggressive and angry.

Hmm.. I've been complaining for years that exercise puts me in a bad mood. I hate hearing how some people feel euphoric and expect everyone to feel that way during exercise. I've never felt that way, but I have no idea why. I kind of figured it's because I feel so girly and girls aren't supposed to sweat. :D

The thyroid controls either directly or indirectly sooooo many things. It is basically the center of all your hormones and tells them where to go and what to do. If your thyroid ain't happy, everything can go out of whack.
:iagree:

Yep, it controls/affects so many different things. Metabolism, heartbeat, keeping your hair, fertility, body temperature, cholesterol, skin moisture, digestion, the ability to think, you name it! TSH is the "main" test for thyroid function, but be aware that almost all labs use the wrong normal range. The normal range that is recommended by the endocrine and thyroid associations is 0.3-3.0. There is a huge number of underdiagnosed people because the typical range goes up to 4.5 or even 5.0. A free T4 and free T3 are also helpful because those measure the actual thyroid hormone. TSH is actually a hormone produced by your pituitary gland in response to how much thyroid hormone it senses in your blood. So it could be out of whack too and you'd never know.

Hmm.. I've been complaining for years that exercise puts me in a bad mood. I hate hearing how some people feel euphoric and expect everyone to feel that way during exercise. I've never felt that way, but I have no idea why. I kind of figured it's because I feel so girly and girls aren't supposed to sweat. :D

I also do not experience the euphoria with exercise. Or even "feeling better." I don't know if it exactly puts me in a bad mood, but I certainly am not a fan of exercise because of how crappy it makes me feel, even when I do it on a regular basis.:glare: