Menu

oh boy..... WWYD?

I posted last week about how another mom came over with her boys and they ripped apart my pool noodles and dumped my bubbles, etc. (Sorry, I can't ever figure out how to link a thread.) Anyway, their dog also came over as well. I've had the dog over for "playdates" with my dog before because this mom and I adopted our dogs (siblings) as puppies at the same time (2 years ago) so we've been "friends" ever since. We don't really see each other much except to get our dogs together so it's not like we're friends that hang out or anything, but we chat about the dogs in email or text from time to time.

Anyway, my DH just discovered something that her dog broke while she was here and it's going to be an expensive repair for sure (going to try and get a quote this weekend). Long story short, she ran around this one side of our pool that my kids know as off limits and even my dog is trained to not go on that side because there's an electric box that's on a long pipe which is tied into our pool light. We were told if that electric box ever got knocked over our pool would start to leak. It seems like a terrible setup that we're going to try and get done differently when we get it fixed, but it was like that when we bought the house.

Well, the pool has been losing water ever since the dog ran back there and I totally forgot about that stinkin' box until my DH discovered tonight that there was water coming up from the ground because the box was knocked over. It was then that I remembered about the dog.

I don't plan on trying to make this woman pay for any of the repairs so that's not my issue. My issue is she'll want to come over again someday and I won't want to risk the same thing happening again.

Do I tell her the truth or just come up with excuses? The reason why I'm hesitant to tell her the truth is because I don't want her to get defensive and say it wasn't her dog's fault and she's not responsible, etc, even though I don't plan on asking her to pay for anything.

WWYD? I don't want any weirdness between us because we're in the same homeschooling group. *sigh*

Is there any way to block off the box area or enclose it with temporary fencing or dog fence? I'm a bit confused about the setup so I don't know if this is even an option. Of course if you don't care if you ever see the lady and her dog again, you wouldn't need to.

Is it only a problem because there is leaking or is there a chance there is a safety issue as well for others like little kids? I'd tend to fix the more obvious problem which seems to be the box, but if it's because she has an unruly dog, then that's another issue entirely. :001_smile:

In the end, it's your house and you shouldn't feel bad about deciding who gets to come over or not.

Brenda

Is there any way to block off the box area or enclose it with temporary fencing or dog fence? I'm a bit confused about the setup so I don't know if this is even an option. Of course if you don't care if you ever see the lady and her dog again, you wouldn't need to.

Is it only a problem because there is leaking or is there a chance there is a safety issue as well for others like little kids? I'd tend to fix the more obvious problem which seems to be the box, but if it's because she has an unruly dog, then that's another issue entirely. :001_smile:

In the end, it's your house and you shouldn't feel bad about deciding who gets to come over or not.

Brenda

Unfortunately there's no way, right now, to block that area off. Hopefully with however they're going to repair it we'll be able to have something different there and I won't have to worry about it.

The dog is very unruly and I think I'm just at my breaking point with dogs and kids coming to my house and breaking things. :glare: And with the dogs, I always ask that the owners pick up their dog's poop because my dog is trained to go in one area of the yard and my kids know not to go in that area. No one ever seems it to be necessary to clean up after their dogs so after they leave I go on "poop patrol." Or I do it in front of the owner hoping they'll offer to do it and they never do. Call me crazy, but I'd pick up after my own dog if I took him to someone's house. :glare:

I think you already know what the answer is. I didn't read about the destruction of your things in the other thread, but it sounds to me like she doesn't care about what her children and animals destroy while visiting your home. Frankly I'm not a dog person, but is there a reason you have to continue getting these animals together? It sounds like you're miserable when she visits, so why even bother?

I think you already know what the answer is. I didn't read about the destruction of your things in the other thread, but it sounds to me like she doesn't care about what her children and animals destroy while visiting your home. Frankly I'm not a dog person, but is there a reason you have to continue getting these animals together? It sounds like you're miserable when she visits, so why even bother?

I do it for my dog. :lol: He's a high energy dog and he needs to get his "crazyness" out from time-to-time. I take him to daycare, but that's $25 a pop. When I have dogs over, it's free. :D There's a nearby dog park, but I'm afraid to have him around strange dogs that I don't know (with the exception of where he goes to daycare).

I do it for my dog. :lol: He's a high energy dog and he needs to get his "crazyness" out from time-to-time. I take him to daycare, but that's $25 a pop. When I have dogs over, it's free.

Really? It sounds like a lot of stuff got broken that will need to be replaced or repaired.

I'd rethink this relationship and find other ways to exercise the dog.

If your dog will play fetch, buy a ball thrower and some tennis balls. It keeps my dog busy until he is too tired or too hot to chase balls.

I've tried that. I've tried taking him on long walks (longer than our normal ones). I've tried running around the yard myself with him. He just NEEDS to run around with other dogs. It's the only thing that tires him out, unfortunately.