Menu

Tell me about your process/method for teaching SPALDING (WRTR) manuscript handwriting

rachelpants

For some reason I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around how to do handwriting. I haven’t yet pushed handwriting with my 6 y.o. DS as it hasn’t been his favorite thus far. His fine motor skills are awesome, however. (He buttons, ties, colors in the lines, cuts up everything in site, etc). We are starting Kindergarten next week using the Spalding method…but I’m still confused about handwriting.

My DS doesn’t know how to form most lowercase letters so we are really starting from scratch. Here are a few of the questions swimming around in my head:

1. How does a child learn the phonogram sound when they are so focused on the letter formation script?

2. Would I be better off to work hard on handwriting before getting very formal with learning the phonograms?

3. How many times do you practice each letter before moving on?

4. When is it appropriate to move on to writing on paper (we use the chalkboard, salt tray, etc).

5. How much review for each letter do you do in addition to adding new letters.

Sigh…I don’t know why this seems so hard to me, LOL.:o:confused: I feel like I need a scripted guide or worksheet or something to follow.

Help!

Thanks!

How does a child learn the phonogram sound when they are so focused on the letter formation script?

I guess the best way to stress the sound is to say it, have them say it and have them say it again to themselves before writing it. The idea behind is for them to recognize the phonograms anywhere they encounter them. We started this last year and even though my son could say, spell, and write /er/, he couldn’t see it in words. This year he is starting to get it a lot better so I’m still plugging away with phonogram drill.

2. Would I be better off to work hard on handwriting before getting very formal with learning the phonograms?

He will get plenty of handwriting practice learning the phonograms, so I would start with each letter and learn all those sounds before moving on to digraphs(2 letter sounds). I would go as slowly as needed to make sure each letter is formed correctly and the sounds are solid in his head. Make it fun, play bingo, use lots of variety ways to get it down.

I would see how a letter a day goes, or maybe more if this is first grade. Look for mastery before moving on but try not to push him too much. It’s a hard balance to find!

4. When is it appropriate to move on to writing on paper (we use the chalkboard, salt tray, etc).

I would start using paper right away along with the other methods you are using.

I did lots of review last year before moving on and it kept us from getting through all I had planned. Some phonograms he just wasn’t ready for, so I would review often.

Edited by neenee7

Thank you so much for your help!

How does a child learn the phonogram sound when they are so focused on the letter formation script?

I guess the best way to stress the sound is to say it, have them say it and have them say it again to themselves before writing it. .

Aha! Thanks...I was thinking that they needed to say the sounds as they were writing, which would be hard to do when going through the letter script at the same time.

I would see how a letter a day goes, or maybe more if this is first grade. Look for mastery before moving on but try not to push him too much. It’s a hard balance to find!

So, do you think it is okay to move on with learning more sounds/ phonograms even if he doesn't quite have that particular letter formation mastered?

:bigear:

I actually typed about half of a PM to Ellie with some similar questions the other day!

LOL...I almost did too!!

BTW...I called Spalding yesterday and told them that I already have the Kindy materials but I was interested in the home educators course. I found out that you can do the course (without the materials) for around $40. The lady I talked to also sent me the link to the first training session video for free to see if the course would interest me or not. Thought I'd tell you just in case. :)

BTW...I called Spalding yesterday and told them that I already have the Kindy materials but I was interested in the home educators course. I found out that you can do the course (without the materials) for around $40. The lady I talked to also sent me the link to the first training session video for free to see if the course would interest me or not. Thought I'd tell you just in case. :)

ooh, interesting! I don't have all the kindy materials, though. I was just going to go with the manual and phonogram cards. I used Spalding when I was a teacher, but I taught 3rd grade and we only used it for spelling. So while I'm comfortable with the program in general, using it for kiddos who are total reading, writing, and spelling rookies has my mind boggled a bit!

Quote from OP-Aha! Thanks...I was thinking that they needed to say the sounds as they were writing, which would be hard to do when going through the letter script at the same time.

Answer-Well, they kind of are in a way because, for example, if we are doing the letter /b/, I would say the sound, demonstrate the formation, and have them say the sound until they say it correctly, then have them write the letter, while I watch to see that they are doing it correctly. I give explicit handwriting directions just like the manual says, like where to start on the clock, and also implement talk from the Cursive First program about where in the house the letter starts and finishes. (Like the letter "p" starts at midpoint, goes down in the basement, comes back up the same staircase, and has a seat on the baseline after going around, some of that is my own lingo in there trying to make it fun:) So they say just that sound, then write it correctly. Sometimes my son will say it as he is writing it, and that ok too, that comes with already knowing how to form the letter when more focus in their mind is on the sound itself since the sound is mastered already. My son knew all the letters and sounds before he really could sing the alphabet right(w/o skipping letters) but i was ok with that because its more useful to know what sound they make than what they stand for, if that makes sense.

My little guy gets that part down pat, but when we got to the phonogram /ie/ and I have him say that this combo says /e/ and /i/ (the long sounds), he looked at me and said no way, they say /i/ and /e/! Thats when I knew he didnt understand that two or more letters joined together make a new sound. I think he still struggles with this somewhat but I am seeing progress. His next learning curve has been what sounnd to use and when. For example "s" says /s/ and /z/. He doesnt know when to use what.

Quote from OP-So, do you think it is okay to move on with learning more sounds/ phonograms even if he doesn't quite have that particular letter formation mastered?

Answer-I would practice some each day until a letter looks pretty darn close to how it should, but frequent review will help this. I would move on after he says the sound and writes it pretty good and then maybe talk about words that start with this letter.

Im still learning too, but its so neat to see the Spalding method work! Somehow Ive messed up my post here while quoting, so hopefully Ive kind of fixed that!

Edited by neenee7

Quote from OP-Aha! Thanks...I was thinking that they needed to say the sounds as they were writing, which would be hard to do when going through the letter script at the same time.

Answer-Well, they kind of are in a way because, for example, if we are doing the letter /b/, I would say the sound, demonstrate the formation, and have them say the sound until they say it correctly, then have them write the letter, while I watch to see that they are doing it correctly. I give explicit handwriting directions just like the manual says, like where to start on the clock, and also implement talk from the Cursive First program about where in the house the letter starts and finishes. (Like the letter "p" starts at midpoint, goes down in the basement, comes back up the same staircase, and has a seat on the baseline after going around, some of that is my own lingo in there trying to make it fun:) So they say just that sound, then write it correctly. Sometimes my son will say it as he is writing it, and that ok too, that comes with already knowing how to form the letter when more focus in their mind is on the sound itself since the sound is mastered already. My son knew all the letters and sounds before he really could sing the alphabet right(w/o skipping letters) but i was ok with that because its more useful to know what sound they make than what they stand for, if that makes sense.

My little guy gets that part down pat, but when we got to the phonogram /ie/ and I have him say that this combo says /e/ and /i/ (the long sounds), he looked at me and said no way, they say /i/ and /e/! Thats when I knew he didnt understand that two or more letters joined together make a new sound. I think he still struggles with this somewhat but I am seeing progress. His next learning curve has been what sounnd to use and when. For example "s" says /s/ and /z/. He doesnt know when to use what.

Quote from OP-So, do you think it is okay to move on with learning more sounds/ phonograms even if he doesn't quite have that particular letter formation mastered?

Answer-I would practice some each day until a letter looks pretty darn close to how it should, but frequent review will help this. I would move on after he says the sound and writes it pretty good and then maybe talk about words that start with this letter.

Im still learning too, but its so neat to see the Spalding method work! Somehow Ive messed up my post here while quoting, so hopefully Ive kind of fixed that!

Thank you :)

1. How does a child learn the phonogram sound when they are so focused on the letter formation script?

Because the child is writing it and saying it simultaneously. The shape and the sound become *one thing* in the child's mind and hand.

No, because the sound and the shape go together.

You know, chapter 2 gives extensive information and sample dialogues and everything for this. That's your best resource for information. :-)

A 5yo child should be able to write on paper.

You review all phonograms daily, in addition to teaching new phonograms.

Sigh…I don’t know why this seems so hard to me, LOL.:o:confused: I feel like I need a scripted guide or worksheet or something to follow.

See my comment above: Spalding is scripted. :-)

I have written the letters BIG on paper. I have the student trace the letter with her finger, while we talk about the letter. We do a LOT of talking and finger tracing. The second they pick up a pencil, it's like their ears get plugged up :lol: I now say "pencil down" before giving new instructions.

I don't move on until a student UNDERSTANDS how to make the letter and can TALK about it accurately to me. Hand eye coordination will take time, but I want them to fully UNDERSTAND what they are supposed to do. I'm not sure if you know what I mean.

I'm still trying to figure out how to combine Spalding and How to Tutor. I switched to How to Tutor just because it was easier to teach Spalding CURSIVE with, and I am totally OCD about handwriting instruction. I don't think the manuscript without connectors is harder to teach with WRTR though. But I do think I picked up a few general handwriting instruction tips from reading through HTT, that would also apply to manuscript. But like I said, I am totally OCD about this, and insist on overcomplicating EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING. Sigh!

:grouphug:

Edited by Hunter

I think you have really gotten a lot of really great answers here. I just wanted to add that for me, it was all daunting, and even though I read and re-read every section, I was not so confident (in my abilities to do this curriculum justice) but by the end of the first month, drilling everyday exactly like the book said, I realized that it was all clicking, for me AND my son. We would drill everyday, and I would introduce 4 new phonograms a day. My son's handwriting now is almost effortless. My husband is always commenting on how much better the kid's writing is than his! And let me tell you, there has not been a Monday that has gone by (when I'm giving him his new list of 30 words) that I don't feel like I AM FINALLY LEARNING HOW TO SPELL!!

You are going to love this program. Use the scripts and just start learning together. Have fun!

I have written the letters BIG on paper. I have the student trace the letter with her finger, while we talk about the letter. We do a LOT of talking and finger tracing. The second they pick up a pencil, it's like their ears get plugged up :lol: I now say "pencil down" before giving new instructions.

Yes! This is DS....he completely ignores me, LOL..."I know, Mom" and tries to get ahead of me, I call it..."His brain falling out his ear", LOL.

I don't move on until a student UNDERSTANDS how to make the letter and can TALK about it accurately to me. Hand eye coordination will take time, but I want them to fully UNDERSTAND what they are supposed to do. I'm not sure if you know what I mean.

This resonates with me...Thank You! I think it will help me calm down a bit, myself.

So...here is my plan. Using a combination of Ellie's and your advice (and my muddled understanding from the WRTR Manual):

1. Me demonstrate letter formation (using script "start at 2 o'clock", etc.). I think I will use your advice and write the letter on big paper. Next I can model tracing with my finger talking through the letter formation script in addition to rehearsing the phonogram sound.

2. Have DS finger trace a few times while talking through the letter script himself, repeat while saying the phonogram sound a few times.

3. Repeat steps 1-2 on chalkboard or whiteboard and then move to paper....while I check for DS's "understanding" of how to form the letter in addition to proper pronunciation of the phonogram.

4. Have him review previously learned letters on paper by writing them a few times.

right????

Edited by rachelpants

Yes, that sounds good. Keep his hand EMPTY as long as possible. It seems to help a LOT. The second they pick up something to write with, they start planning and stop listening.

Writing big with chalk or marker is helpful, very helpful. But it's harder than writing smaller. My students can't handle the frustration without melting down. It seems to work okay moving from finger tracing to pencil. If not, I have them write in the air, instead of on a board.

If you are approaching the handwriting like you are, your son might be the type to meltdown over the chalkboard :lol: If he does, try finger tracing, air drawing, and then paper.

Also ask him, "Tell me how you make letter ... ?" "No don't just SHOW me, TELL me!:

I do a thing called "Warm Ups", where we practice O's and lines, and go over the clock face.