Menu

I need soup recipes for lunch

Can you use a dairy alternative? My sister is allergic, and she uses coconut milk a lot.

Come to think of it I can do coconut. Just not almond or rice milk.

Do you happen to know when people substitute coconut milk in recipes if they use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thai-Kitchen-Organic-Coconut-13-66-Ounce/dp/B003VYIZT0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346964397&sr=8-3&keywords=coconut+milk

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/So-Delicious-Dairy-Free-Beverage/dp/B004T01FT2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1346964397&sr=8-6&keywords=coconut+milk

The so delicious comes in regular too. I don't imagine the vanilla would be too good in a soup. :001_huh:

I'm never really sure what people mean when they say "coconut milk"

I would like to make soup for lunch once per week. We have a big soup pot but never seem to have left overs enough to feed the family again for lunch. :(

Does anyone have simple to make, good tasting and FILLING soup recipes that your family enjoys?

No dairy please. :)

My soup pot is 4 gallons so it doesn't matter what variety I make, there is ALWAYS leftovers. But you include a hearty bread to stretch the soup farther.

Also I would say a potato, bean or barley based soup would probably be more filling than a simple broth soup (like chicken noodle).

I don't use recipes for soup but my kids LOVE beef barley soup. I will use soup meat, stew meet, rump roast or chuck roast and boil with onions for a while. Scrape off the scum. Debone/chop meat if necessary. Add more onions (I usually use 5-6 pound for a pot). Then add barley (I use 1 pound dried in my pot). After cooking for a while I will add celery (2 full bunches) and then carrots (4-5 pounds), mushrooms (1 pound if I have them). I add beef boullion cubes and LOTS of Thyme (easily 3-4 TBSP of dried). Cook till everything is done.

You could also do a ham and potato soup, I usually just boil a ham to get the good ham flavor in the broth. Use some of the ham for soup and save the rest for other uses, potatoes, carrots, onions, celery are the base. You could also add corn, red peppers, cauliflower or broccoli if you wish.

White bean and ham soup would be similar to ham and potato.

I would love to have soup for lunch!! It is still so hot here that no one will eat it! (supposed to be 106 tomorrow).

Chicken Noodle:

lightly stir fry onions and carrots in a bit of butter

add 12 cups chicken broth and bring to boil

add 1 bag egg noodles (I prefer small) or any other noodle you like and bring to boil

add cooked chicken

cook until noodles are done

Super easy and a big hit around here. The noodles make the broth thicker and very yummy

Chili:

Early in the day:brown 2 lbs ground beef, onions, green pepper, and garlic in pan

place in crockpot with 2 large cans diced or crushed tomatoes

add 3-4 cans beans of your choice (I prefer red kidney, but any variety will do) undrainded

add chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, whatever seasoning you like

adjust liquid content by adding more or less tomatoes or water

cook until dinner

Lima Bean Soup:

soak bag of baby limas overnight, drain. Brown stew beef, onions, and carrots with butter in soup pot. Add beans and chicken broth (whatever amount of liquid is required to cook the beans). Simmer until beans are done. Add 1 large can diced tomatoes. I like to blend at least a cup or 2 and return to pot to thicken. But, I have removed the beef and blended the entire pot then returned the beef.

This one is a great favorite at our house. I always double it and keep some in the fridge.

I also like 15 bean soup. Just follow the recipe on the bag.

This cheese soup recipe uses velveeta. I've taken it to potlucks and it has always been well liked: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/294/SouthwestCheeseSoup71652.shtml

Crockpot is perfect...even... dare I say... preferred. :o :leaving:

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced. I think I use way more.

8 tsp cilantro, torn

40 oz chicken broth

16 oz tomato sauce

1/4 taco seasoning mix, packaged or homemade

2 4 oz cans diced green chilies ( this makes it mildly spicy. Reduce or eliminate to taste.)

1 T Worcestershire sauce

3-4 chicken breasts( can be frozen)

28 oz cans diced tomatoes

Corn tortillas, torn into pieces(3-4)

Dump it all in and cook on low 6-8 hours. Probably closer to 6 if the chicken is defrosted. Shred chicken and return to pot. Garnish with avocado, more cilantro, tortilla strips.