Menu

Piano lessons

craftymama

My oldest really wants to take piano lessons. He's been asking for almost a year. I contacted one teacher who, after weeks of back and forth and a trial lesson, could not fit him in. I tried to contact a second teacher and after more than a week there has been no response.

How does one find a good, first piano teacher? There are a few in the area that come to you, but we don't have a piano. We will buy him a keyboard with weighted keys and whatever else he needs, but without a teacher it won't do any good.

Depending on your area, you may need to contact and meet good piano teachers before the summer to have a trial lesson etc to get into their next school year schedule. Many may not have space by now although it is always worth it contacting to let them know you are looking for lessons just in case. I would try the second teacher one more time. Good luck.

After going through that rigmarole and trying to decide if it was really the right person, etc., I finally just took the plunge and picked someone who seemed nice - and so far, so good but we're not very far in yet. Most people have cancellation policies of a month or so, so it doesn't have to be a full year commitment if it turns out poorly.

I just hired one, and it took a year to find her! I just asked everywhere I went. Friends, the library, other homeschoolers, etc. I had several references that just didn't seem right for many reasons. A couple were further than I wanted to drive. Two were male teachers, which I didn't want. I finally found someone who would come to my home and follow dd's interests and goals.

Our first one is the primary pianist at our church. She was excellent, but her health took a significant downturn and we had to rethink the whole picture. One issue is that our first teacher couldn't keep up any more with preparations for the various piano competitions. That's a bit down the road for the OP, but some children are very motivated by that and we wanted a teacher oriented that way.

We found the second one because she's on the board of one of the groups that does a regional competition, and I found out in the process of investigating that three of my friends take their children to her. We did a trial lesson and really liked her on every front. She teaches a wide range of students including adults, but I think will push mine in a way that they need to be pushed.

So you might try investigating church musicians and teachers involved in piano competitions. Every area is different, but that has worked for us.