Menu

Anne of Avonlea

At what age would you read this to boys if they liked Anne of Green Gables? It seems like a book a boy might not appreciate until the teen years but then again it might be nice to read it right after Anne of Green Gables for continuity's sake. I am wondering about this for my sons who are 11 and 8.5. And what do you think of the third book for boys?

Our family is a HUGE Anne fan club. However, our read-aloud time is limited, and I really want to expose them to MANY different famous literary characters: Robinson Crusoe, James Herriot, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Narnia, etc.

My goal is to INTRODUCE them to each one (first book of a series), and then let them read the sequel themselves if they are interested. :001_smile:

My boy read the first book and the second book in succession when he was 11, and they stayed on his "top 20 books" list for a while. He liked the second book more than the first. He then read the third one and decided he did not want to read the rest:D

We've been listening to all the Anne books this summer while in the car. My 12 yo boy enjoyed them. I would have to say he particularly enjoyed the first and second books. The third was still pretty good, but I am losing him a little on the 4th. Honestly, I am losing interest with the 4th book myself.

Lisa