Menu

Any swimming moms out there? As in, YOU swim for exercise?

I have been running for a little over a year. So I'm in moderately good aerobic health.

I tried swimming freestyle laps this morning for the first time since Carter was president. I seriously thought I was going to drown. Some other swimmers seemed to be having the same problem. I was EXHAUSTED after every 50 meters, even though my arms weren't exhausted. I just felt like I couldn't get enough oxygen even though I gulped for air every other stroke.

The coach told us this was normal. He called it something which I don't remember.

Was it hard for you to start? How long until it gets better? I didn't get a chance to talk to the coach afterward. I'm sure he'll give more advice/encouragement next week but I'm thinking I need to drop by Sunday to get a refund, so I need answers now. :)

You are just getting used to a new exercise, one in which you can't breathe whenever you want to. I experienced a similar reaction the first time I got back in the pool after many years of not swimming. Your body will acclimate quickly if you keep at it.

Also, keep in mind that swimming utilizes SO MANY MUSCLES SIMULTANEOUSLY that it is exhausting at first just because of that.

I run, and I've been running for 4 years. This year I started adding swimming to my routine. Once a week, while my kids are at swim practice, I swim. It's hard! Breathing is difficult. If you know your swimming technique is ok, then I would say it will just take time to get the breathing down.

You may want to try some laps with a kick board, that way you don't have to worry about breathing as much.

It is great exercise. Don't give up! It will all come together.

You may want to try some laps with a kick board, that way you don't have to worry about breathing as much.

:iagree: This is what I do for the most part. I sometimes do the breaststroke but it's not very pretty.:glare: I do the kickboard for 1/2 to 1 mile, and it takes me nearly an hour.

I've been running as my main exercise for over 25 years. Swimming has helped some with my running. I just don't breathe through my mouth very well, whether running or swimming, or sleeping for that matter.;)

Definitely don't drop it! If you were once a swimmer, it will take about two weeks (4-5 times a week) to feel normal again, just at a slower pace. If you were always a runner and not a swimmer, it could take a little longer. There are a lot of triathletes in masters swimming.

Fins are very motivating! So are sprint 25's and 50's on an interval (as opposed to a 500 straight.) It's a lot more fun to go fast.

Personally, I never get any value out of kicking at all. I hate kicking (and it shows.) To decide if it's helping you or you're just wasting your time, check your heart rate (greater than 150 per minute)

From coaching high school (they're almost adults, right?) I can tell you that "aerobic fitness" doesn't translate all that well from any of the fall sports. That expectation is unrealistic. The cross country runners had as many endurance problems at the beginning of the season as everybody else, just fewer toe cramps. And the football players were in shock!

No, Using the Kickboard is a great way to warm up as well as work your lower body without killing your joints. I have a hip problem and my Doctors forced me into the pool. Seriously, I hate swimming. Now, I'm addicted. I was walking past a mirror one day and caught sight of my butt after I'd been swimming twice a week for a month, doing several laps with the kickboard. Let's just say I'm bummed I can't swim right now because of bursitis.:D

That leads me to my other piece of advice, stay in the class to get advice on your stroke. Apparently, over the last year I've been arching my arm too high and overextending my shoulder on my left side. Now I have Bursitis from overuse of the joint and am in PT for at least the next month. Not to mention out money from x-rays and cortisone shots. Swimming is FABULOUS exercises, but, like any exercise, improper form will injure you.:glare:

Blessings!

Dorinda

It was *really* hard for me at first -- but got better *shockingly* quickly. I've also discovered the wonder that is prescription swim goggles. For others like me who are blind without glasses, it makes the whole experience worlds better... :) (They're cheap too! Under $30 shipped! I keep telling ds that as soon as his head is big enough to fit them comfortably, I'll order some for him too...)

Definitely don't drop it! If you were once a swimmer, it will take about two weeks (4-5 times a week) to feel normal again, just at a slower pace. If you were always a runner and not a swimmer, it could take a little longer. There are a lot of triathletes in masters swimming.

Fins are very motivating! So are sprint 25's and 50's on an interval (as opposed to a 500 straight.) It's a lot more fun to go fast.

Personally, I never get any value out of kicking at all. I hate kicking (and it shows.) To decide if it's helping you or you're just wasting your time, check your heart rate (greater than 150 per minute)

From coaching high school (they're almost adults, right?) I can tell you that "aerobic fitness" doesn't translate all that well from any of the fall sports. That expectation is unrealistic. The cross country runners had as many endurance problems at the beginning of the season as everybody else, just fewer toe cramps. And the football players were in shock!

Yes! Fins! They do make it fun. You feel fast, like you can really race. :001_smile: