Menu

Confused about Memoria Press latin programs

Can someone give me a sequence for the Memoria Press latin programs? (Prima Latina, Latina Christiana, First Form, Henle, etc.) I know that I eventually want to get to Henle. I know that I like their latin programs. I'm just not sure which order to go in and where I skip? Do I do Prima Latina, both Latina Christianas and then First Form? Or do I skip somewhere? I'm sure it says on the site, but for some reason I get confused every time I go there. I would like to start next year in 3rd grade. Thanks!

It depends on what level you are starting.

You can start with Prima for youngers. If you are starting 3rd grade & up, you can start with Latina Christiana (or, you can do Prima & then LC - it depends on what you think your kid can handle. Prima is REALLY gentle.).

From LC I, SKIP LC II & go straight to First Form. Then, go through the four Forms.

I don't know for sure where to go from there, but I think you can skip Henle I (and maybe II??).

LC II was done before the Form series. They don't recommend LC II anymore, but have it for anyone who would like to do that & then go into Henle I in 6th grade or higher. (I have heard LC II isn't the greatest & that MP really likes the Form series as far as 'how to teach Latin' better than LC II. I've never seen it, so I don't know.)

It depends on what level you are starting.

You can start with Prima for youngers. If you are starting 3rd grade & up, you can start with Latina Christiana (or, you can do Prima & then LC - it depends on what you think your kid can handle. Prima is REALLY gentle.).

From LC I, SKIP LC II & go straight to First Form. Then, go through the four Forms.

I don't know for sure where to go from there, but I think you can skip Henle I (and maybe II??).

LC II was done before the Form series. They don't recommend LC II anymore, but have it for anyone who would like to do that & then go into Henle I in 6th grade or higher. (I have heard LC II isn't the greatest & that MP really likes the Form series as far as 'how to teach Latin' better than LC II. I've never seen it, so I don't know.)

Could I do Prima, then LC I, and then move into First Form? I see you say I could, but would it be overkill to do both Prima and then LC I?

This is from the FAQ on MP and the reason I chose PL instead of LC I for 3rd grade:

• My student is in X grade. Should I use Latina Christiana or Prima Latina?
    • Unless you have a strong background in Latin, we recommend that you start with Prima Latina for any students in 3rd Grade or younger. It is better for your students to be successful and love Latin than to be frustrated and discouraged.
    • You should not start Latin until your student can read well (usually around second grade).
    • Compare Latina Christiana with Prima Latina here.
    • If you feel uncomfortable about starting Latin or want a gentle approach, you may consider Prima Latina for students as old as 5th Grade.

[*]Is Prima Latina just a list of vocabulary words like many other beginner programs?

• No, Prima Latina is designed to tie into Latina Christiana. It teaches the English grammar foundation a student needs to be successful in Latin, while introducing basic Latin grammar concepts.
    • The vocabulary in Prima Latina is a subset of the vocabulary in Latina Christiana. When your student starts Latina Christiana, he will have a certain amount of vocabulary review that allows him to focus on the new Latin grammar he is learning. This method allows students to progress through into their study of Latin at an advanced pace.

Everything in Prima is covered in LCI. I think it depends on your child. My 8yo 3rd grader is doing Prima, and I wish we'd skipped it for LCI - it's just too slow. But it's not at all intimidating, and it is a gentle introduction. It might also depend on how confident you are in teaching Latin.

Could I do Prima, then LC I, and then move into First Form? I see you say I could, but would it be overkill to do both Prima and then LC I?

You could definitely do Prima & then LC I & then move into First Form. Not overkill at all. You'll find the first several (up to 10) lessons of LC I to include a *lot* of review from Prima. But, your kid & you will be getting used to how LC is different than Prima, so it'll make the transition easier. LC I will review what you learned in Prima and expand on it.

I started my oldest in Prima in 4th grade. I included dd#2 (2nd grade at the time - but only doing everything orally). We did LC I in 5th (& dd#2 was in 3rd). LC was a bit much for MY 3rd grader - even with Prima. She was holding back her older sister. She's going to redo Prima (writing everything this time) and LC I ... maybe starting next year. :)

Older sister (dd#1) will start First Form next year in 7th. I don't see any issue taking it slower or starting later.

I am doing Prima this year with a third grader. I plan to do LC 1 in 4th, then FF in 5th.

Here is info from Memoria Press regarding which program to choose - it includes a suggested sequence.

http://www.memoriapress.com/images/book_insides/WhichLatinProgram.pdf

My plan exactly, however, my fourth grader is on lc1 this year. We completed prima last year.

Thank you for asking this question and for all the responses. I have been wondering the same thing for my kiddos. My kids last year did PL (2nd, 5th and 6th grade) and this year the 2 olders are doing LC1 and the younger is repeating PL with the intention of better retention and really understanding this year. I now feel confident in skipping LC2 and moving into FF1 with the olders once we are done LC1. Thank you for giving me "permission" to skip a level :001_smile:

I would only use Prima Latina if you were starting with a very young child (1st or 2nd grade). Latina Christiana is very simple and covers all of Prima Latina's material. For us the progression has been:

PL - 2nd grade

LC1 - 3rd

First Form - 4th

Second Form - 5th

Third Form - 6th

Fourth Form (when it's ready!!) - 7th

We suspected that Fourth Form might be a bit slow out of the gate, so we slowed down last year and are still working on Third Form. For us it is worth waiting for. We love Memoria Press Latin! :)

I have a dd7, and we are doing Prima this year. I originally bought LC I for her, but when I looked at it, I felt it would be too much writing for her, and too much tweaking for me to deal with that. So then I got Prima. It is very gentle and easy. But I am glad that I have both programs. I have since learned that LC uses all of the Prima vocab. So we are using the LC flashcards that correspond with Prima. I don't think that doing Prima at 7yo and then LC next year would be overkill. I feel like Prima is gentle, and doing it first will make LC gentle next year.