Menu

Vintage Science books for pre-k/K level?

Marsha

We've had many of the "What is...?" series from the 50's and 60's out from the library. They're simple and useful and have nice old fashioned illustrations. However, depending on the topic, they can also be inaccurate, so some of them I haven't used. And they're not as good as other resources.

While I sometimes yearn for the style and the writing of some of the vintage science books for older elementary students, I think preK and K is probably the area of science books that have gotten better in the last fifty years. The Let's Read and Find Out books are simple and well-done with mostly good illustrators and mostly pretty accurate because they're recent.

I heartily second the recommendation for the Let's Read and Find Out Science series (we still use them sometimes!).

As far as vintage books, look at Clara Dillingham Pierson's Among the ... People series - she covers meadows, ponds, barnyard, night, etc., with stories about different animals and their habitats. It would be good for that age level as the stories aren't too long or difficult.