Menu

Oral Allergy Syndrome or cross-reaction - peaches?

Oh no. DS, with multiple LTFA, is reacting to a raw peach. 2 bites, and his throat and lips are itchy. I've given Benadryl, though he's just said that he feels like something is growing in his throat. I am watching him like a hawk, and he is acting fine otherwise - no impending sense of doom, no second system so far (hives, GI, etc). I have his epipens on hand, inhalers are ready to go.

He is anaphylactic to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame and banana. I'm guessing peach could cross react with one of those? He has never been a fan of peaches unless cooked, so I was surprised when he wanted a peach today. It's his first peach of the year.

He also has OAS to most raw veggies, and now I'm wondering if that's what's at play here with the peach. But now I'm wondering if OAS can lead to anaphylaxis too? Is OAS technically the same as a "cross-reaction"? Suddenly, I am feeling confused about all of this... seems to be an in the moment reaction for me, as yesterday I had a handle on it all...

Good thoughts, prayers, good vibes... all would be appreciated. If we epi today, we'll have to call 911, as today we are a one car family and DH is with a client. Aaaack.

Oh, how scary! we dont have any ana reactions here, but my oral allergy symptoms seem to often flare whenever something is in season :glare: So i can eat melon until they are in peak season and THEN they make my mouth itch! but peaches are really past now, i think

anyways, i hope it goes away on its own, quickly!

Yes, he is allergic to tree pollen and grasses, and basically everything except molds and dust mites (knock on wood). Maybe this is related to tree pollen. I've just been reading about it, and that could definitely be the case.

Feeling this anxious just stinks. :(

I know :grouphug:

Food allergy dd is heading to college next year. My anxiety level is increasing daily as we go through the college search and application process.

Oh goodness. I can only imagine. I try to keep my head in the sand about going off to college (DS is 8) but the day will come.

Your DD will manage her allergies well. She's had good training. Hang in there.

Runningmom, if you find that chart, I'd love to see it. I'm sure I've seen one, too, and our allergist has even given me one. But on today - of all days - I can't find it to save my life.

What symptoms does your DS have, with his OAS? Does it lead to ana? ...For now, we seem to be out of the woods... DS is fine. Yay for Benadryl!

He's allergic to latex, too, now I'm wondering if peaches cross react there, too? ...The mystery continues... At least this time I know what caused it.

Mom2hunangirls, OAS does seem to be more common now. My mother had it most of her life. She could not eat any fresh fruits or veggies till she was in her 60s, everything had to be cooked. So I witnessed it all through my childhood. She would even wear goggles and gloves while cooking! We didn't know what her allergy was called though, till recent years. She's also allergic to tree nuts and tons of environmental allergens.

Yes, he is allergic to tree pollen and grasses, and basically everything except molds and dust mites (knock on wood). Maybe this is related to tree pollen. I've just been reading about it, and that could definitely be the case.

Feeling this anxious just stinks. :(

Grass allergies and birch tree allergies can cause an oral reaction to peaches.

My son used to have oral allergy syndrome, but outgrew it or lost the allergy when we lived in Hawaii.

Here is a chart:

http://www.chop.edu/service/allergy/allergy-and-asthma-information/oral-allergy-syndrome.html

Here's some information:

http://foodintolerances.org/non-food-allergies.aspx

In general, I think the pitted fruits are a problem for some. My DD has OAS (I hope that's all it is) and cherries are real problem for her. But, eating any fresh fruit in large amounts will cause her trouble.

When is your guy due for more testing? I would probably put peach on the list just to be sure.

Grass allergies and birch tree allergies can cause an oral reaction to peaches.

My son used to have oral allergy syndrome, but outgrew it or lost the allergy when we lived in Hawaii.

Here is a chart:

http://www.chop.edu/service/allergy/allergy-and-asthma-information/oral-allergy-syndrome.html

Thank you. That's the chart I remember seeing online. And there it is - grass and birch tree.

Hmmmm... This gives us a great excuse to move to Hawaii, doesn't it? :D

Here's some information:

http://foodintolerances.org/non-food-allergies.aspx

In general, I think the pitted fruits are a problem for some. My DD has OAS (I hope that's all it is) and cherries are real problem for her. But, eating any fresh fruit in large amounts will cause her trouble.

When is your guy due for more testing? I would probably put peach on the list just to be sure.

Thanks for the link to more info. :) Sorry that your DD is dealing with a lot of the same - not fun.

DS is due for more testing in Oct - he will be doing an in-office food challenge for banana, as we think/hope he may have outgrown it. They usually start off with a skin prick test, and then progress with tiny increments of the food for several hours.

They probably won't want to test for anything new at that point, but I can definitely bring it up with the allergist at that visit - we'll have lots of time to talk.

My son does get like that with peaches, cherries, nectarines (he says those are the worse), and apples. If we peel the apples, he's ok. If the other fruits are cooked, he's fine...doc hasn't been able to confirm why it is. Sometimes he just can't help it and has to have a peach. They are his favorite, so he pops a benadryl and chows down :tongue_smilie:. He still gets a little itching around his mouth though.

Ds has no other food allergies though and all his other allergies are environmental and cats. We do buy only organic now for just about all fruits and veggies (we thought maybe it was the pesticides or waxing). He still does it with the organics.

Oh, OAS...ugh. I've developed it in the past five years or so myself. I'm hugely allergic to birch, sagebrush and ragweed, but basically most trees and weeds.

In the past year it's gotten way worse for me--I'll get the usual itchy lips, skin, and mouth, and now my blood pressure drops and I get extremely dizzy for hours. We could not figure out what was going on and I had to do the tilt test and wear a heart monitor, blah, blah, blah. We only figured out what was going on after I kept a food diary and realized that the blood pressure drops/dizziness were happening within half an hour of eating apples.

Now I'm slowly figuring out just how many foods cause this weird reaction. Fun times.