Menu

What makes one think it is a good idea to potty train at your seat

I had a family in my music classes that, for the potty training stage, kept the portable potty in the back of their van so they could take their kids out there (because their child refused to go on a big toilet at all), and I remember taking the little potty chair with us on vacation (and feeling really strange about having it piled up with the luggage while waiting for DH to bring the car up to load), but I can't imagine bringing it into a restaurant-or, at minimum, not taking it into the bathroom and doing the business where you...well...do your business!!!

Okay, I have never taken a potty into a restaurant before :ack2:, but when my HFA son was potty training I had to use one in some pretty embarrassing situations. He was absolutely terrified of public washrooms and I literally could not get him in the room; let alone use the toilet. This went on for a looong time. We have traveled a lot with dh for work. What do you do in an airport, or on the plane, when the 5yo won't use the bathroom? Absolutely mortifying! :blushing:

Okay, I have never taken a potty into a restaurant before :ack2:, but when my HFA son was potty training I had to use one in some pretty embarrassing situations. He was absolutely terrified of public washrooms and I literally could not get him in the room; let alone use the toilet. This went on for a looong time. We have traveled a lot with dh for work. What do you do in an airport, or on the plane, when the 5yo won't use the bathroom? Absolutely mortifying! :blushing:

For the longest time, I carried post it notes in my purse. Not for me but to cover the automatic flushing toilets sensors for DS. He was terrified of them.

I remember taking the little potty chair with us on vacation (and feeling really strange about having it piled up with the luggage while waiting for DH to bring the car up to load), but I can't imagine bringing it into a restaurant-or, at minimum, not taking it into the bathroom and doing the business where you...well...do your business!!!

:iagree:

Holy poo! :001_huh:

I was one of those loons who kept a potty in my trunk, but I never had to use it except when we were houseguests when my kids were 2.

I have seen a video series where some proud parents are bragging about "early potty training" and they bring theirs wherever. One of the videos has the kid using it on a train or bus. I thought that was bad enough. But in a restaurant? Where was that mother raised???

(Though it's not that much worse than letting your toddler crap his pants in a restaurant and go on eating IMO.)

I feel your pain...

DD5(Aspergers) has fears of exhaust fans in bathrooms. I have had to drag her kicking and screaming into a bathroom before, and physically hold her on the potty until she went. Not an easy task with a 75lb 48"tall 4-5yo. And this is on a cooperative day! Other times, I can't even drag her in. (Before anyone judges me---think about what alternatives there are. When there are no other bathrooms around-all public bathrooms have fans-and she won't go outside, sometimes a mom's just got to get a job done.)

I am a pro at warning people around me what is getting ready to happen when we are in these situations. I worry about them calling the police! The funny thing is, that she will be acting completely fine, then go into a huge tantrum, then be fine again after she goes (immediately when she walks of of earshot from the fan). People around me just laugh if they see what is happening, how quickly she recovers, and wish me the best. LOL

I don't know how many bathrooms we have used with all the lights off (fans are often connected to the light), and the door wide open to get some ambient light or my cell phone used for a light. People sure look at us odd, but it is effective. :)

Ds is 13 and still has problems with loud toilets on automatic flush. I keep a similar pair to these in my purse after someone recommended them to me for movies that were too loud:

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01523-Leightning-Lightweight/dp/B001BL04PS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1346953904&sr=8-8&keywords=ear+protection

I found a pair at our Sears hardware store for about $12. They are very compact. Online you can find different colors, even pink for girls. They have come in handy for many situations, like needing quiet for reading, thunderstorms, loud toilets, movies, etc... If it is the sound of the fans that disturbs your dd, you may want to check them out.:001_smile:

I feel your pain...

DD5(Aspergers) has fears of exhaust fans in bathrooms. I have had to drag her kicking and screaming into a bathroom before, and physically hold her on the potty until she went. Not an easy task with a 75lb 48"tall 4-5yo. And this is on a cooperative day! Other times, I can't even drag her in. (Before anyone judges me---think about what alternatives there are. When there are no other bathrooms around-all public bathrooms have fans-and she won't go outside, sometimes a mom's just got to get a job done.)

I am a pro at warning people around me what is getting ready to happen when we are in these situations. I worry about them calling the police! The funny thing is, that she will be acting completely fine, then go into a huge tantrum, then be fine again after she goes (immediately when she walks of of earshot from the fan). People around me just laugh if they see what is happening, how quickly she recovers, and wish me the best. LOL

I don't know how many bathrooms we have used with all the lights off (fans are often connected to the light), and the door wide open to get some ambient light or my cell phone used for a light. People sure look at us odd, but it is effective. :)

Ds is 13 and still has problems with loud toilets on automatic flush. I keep a similar pair to these in my purse after someone recommended them to me for movies that were too loud:

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01523-Leightning-Lightweight/dp/B001BL04PS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1346953904&sr=8-8&keywords=ear+protection

I found a pair at our Sears hardware store for about $12. They are very compact. Online you can find different colors, even pink for girls. They have come in handy for many situations, like needing quiet for reading, thunderstorms, loud toilets, movies, etc... If it is the sound of the fans that disturbs your dd, you may want to check them out.:001_smile:

I appreciate the suggestion, but it has been explored and found to not work for her.

Hearing protection doesn't work for her for fans. She has some bright pink peltor ones that she uses for fireworks, vacuums etc. They work for loud impact noises, but not the hum and vibrating of a fan. She has sensory issues so regular earplugs are out too. We even tried an iPod with music, but she can still 'hear' the fan. I suspect it is a vibration issue as much as a noise one.

:lol: I'm showing this to my family. We have a potty chair with us at all times, because we have pt'ing twins. We had a potty chair outside behind a shed at a backyard party a couple weeks ago, instead of going in the house every 5 minutes if one of them had to go. We got some strange looks for that! I should have just plopped the potty down at the picnic table! :lol:

Edited by Runningmom80

I feel your pain...

The things ASD parents have to do, right? :grouphug:

I carry one in the back of a vehicle with me, but would never consider taking it into a store or restaurant. We did spend the night with a friend and I took it and put it in their guest bath. Dd will use regular toilets now, but it is still nice to have if we are somewhere without a toilet.

We always kept a small one in the back of the van when my kids were potty training age, and will again soon, with my toddler getting to that age. But they never used it in public. It was for emergencies in the back of the van and then we'd dispose of the contents as soon as we drove near a gas station restroom.

Obviously, using it in a restaurant is inappropriate and disrespectful to the other patrons, but what really makes me sad is how disrespectful it is to the little one being taught that it's okay to do that in public, that her body is not worthy of respect and privacy. Her parents were treating her like a little animal.

Wow! That happened close to us! I've never seen anything like it before. We have a portable potty we carry in the diaper bag. We could use it in the van if needed, but mostly we use it on top of a public toilet. Super convenient for a toddler afraid of falling in! I'd use it as a potty on a trail, but in a restraunt with nice restrooms! The location where they were at is really nice and very clean! They have weddings there and coorporate events! Their restrooms are beautiful and maintained!

I want to know -who lets their child eat their lunch while using the potty :001_huh:

What if they went No.2 -how is the mother going to wipe their butts without grossing everyone else out :glare:

And why on earth is she carrying those huge potties around? :confused: If I had toddler twins the last thing I would be capable of carrying is a huge potty as well - maybe she thinks they double as a booster seat :lol: I can just see this mother's line of reasoning "Well I need to bring booster seats to the restuarant anyway - Hey if I bring their potties I can kill two birds with one stone" :D

Stripping your kid naked in a public restuarant is just wrong at any age -poor girls.

It's just so wierd to me :confused:

Don't know what this mother was thinking :confused:

I'm by no means a ladylike mother. I detest public bathrooms and wouldn't dream of taking a toddler into a less than clean one if there was another option (eg a handy grassy area behind a tree or a potty sitting between two open car doors where nobody can see us) but in a restaurant? That's just ewww :001_huh:

This is just wrong.

I went through potty training my twins a couple of years ago. We always kept a potty seat in the back of the van for our 9+ hour road trips to my parents. There are places in the middle of CA where you can go 1/2 hour to an hour with no public restrooms.

Another question is why didn't anyone say anything??? At least go tell an employee.

I also have a travel potty for that age, but we've never used it anywhere but the back of the car or sheilded close to it. It comes pretty handy when you have 4 young dc and are at the park or running errands. It uses easily disposed of bags. BUT...using potties at the dinner table and/or in public?!? Really?

On second thought, I'm with the commenters on another site who suspected it was staged for a "Punk'd" type of show. I just find it hard to believe any parent would do something as outrageous as stripping her kids down until they're almost naked and letting them use the potty right there for everyone to see in a restaurant.

On second thought, I'm with the commenters on another site who suspected it was staged for a "Punk'd" type of show. I just find it hard to believe any parent would do something as outrageous as stripping her kids down until they're almost naked and letting them use the potty right there for everyone to see in a restaurant.

I thought about that but the kid just kept eating his chicken nuggets. I just don't think it was staged. Recently, at the park here we had a mother who let her 3-4ish child poop in the sand and did nothing to stop it. The park has very clean potties. She just smiled and told the kid what a good boy he was to go. Then she pulled out a baggie out of her purse and picked it up and put it in the trash.

I thought about that but the kid just kept eating his chicken nuggets. I just don't think it was staged. Recently, at the park here we had a mother who let her 3-4ish child poop in the sand and did nothing to stop it. The park has very clean potties. She just smiled and told the kid what a good boy he was to go. Then she pulled out a baggie out of her purse and picked it up and put it in the trash.

eeeeww.

:ack2:

:ack2:

We have a potty seat in the back of the minivan. That's where it stays.

:confused:

These are children, you know small human beings, not animals! What is wrong with people. They are robbing their own children of dignity and self respect. Not to mention the self centered parenting. The "I dont want to be inconvienced as a parent so I'll inconvenience everyone else" attitude really ticks me off.

As a young mom i was once mortified by a friend. We were traveling together and stopped to eat. First she took her 2 1/2 year old son in wearing nothing but a diaper and let him run all over the restaurant annoying other patrons and then when he did number two in his diaper she refused to change him until she was done eating because she didnt want to be inconvenienced. I got up and walked out. I was so embarrassed. That was the last time I went anywhere in public with them.

The only thing that would make me wonder if it is staged is the fact that nobody has seen it before. It seems like the lady would do it regularly if she sincerely potty trains her kids like that.

I can't believe it was staged because the children were nude. No tv or research team would be allowed to put children of that age out there in public naked. What was the mother thinking? Those poor kids...even a 2yr old should know to be embarrassed about that. I hope child protective services pays a visit. That's such an obvious display of poor judgement and is really on the edge of exploitation and exhibitionism. Why did the mother not dress them in shorts if she was planning on doing this? Makes me sick for the kids. Maybe it was staged...but certainly not for legitimate purposes and at the children's expense.

We kept a potty in our van but always used it inside the vehicle discreetly.