Menu

My 7th grader has forgotten how to spell

My two older kids are natural spellers, so we never pushed a spelling program. I tried AAS when dd12 was younger, but it seemed to be overkill for a natural speller. She's mostly done copywork and dictation. We never had a problem with spelling. Until now:glare:.

Is this a common puberty thing? How do I fix this problem? (And if you have any tips on how to fix the attitude of a 12yo girl, I'm all ears)

Same issue w/my ds at 12. He never recovered. Most of his work is on a computer so it's less of an issue now. It's still important to me, but we've run out of time.

Laura

Noooo!!!! I don't want to hear this!:tongue_smilie: Just let me believe this is temporary Pre-teen insanity.

My two older kids are natural spellers, so we never pushed a spelling program. I tried AAS when dd12 was younger, but it seemed to be overkill for a natural speller. She's mostly done copywork and dictation. We never had a problem with spelling. Until now:glare:.

Is this a common puberty thing? How do I fix this problem? (And if you have any tips on how to fix the attitude of a 12yo girl, I'm all ears)

It could be puberty 'brain fog'. My ds 11 sometimes just forgets how to do math problems that he has been able to do for years. A friend of mine told me years ago that the middle school years are painful because kids often forget how to do things they've always known how to do, but that it gets better.

I have no suggestions on the attitude problem, though I am listening since I am starting the attitude battle with my ds.

Kim

I have tried to put oldest DD through PR to get some rules pounded into her head. It isn't working. She is just a bad speller. Yesterday she spelled "diffrent" :001_huh:

She also does a lot of letter switching so I think there may be something else going on but at this age I just figure I am better off just staying the course and hoping for the best.

I am wondering the same thing! My ds 12 has always been an OK speller. Even though he couldn't always spell a certain word correctly, he almost always knew when a word was wrong and would ask me, look it up, etc. Lately this is not the case, and it's not even with difficult words. He is also making reversals more often, which he did when he was younger but hasn't for some time. I keep hearing about puberty brain fog, but how long does this last? He also takes medication for ADHD, so I'm wondering if he needs an adjustment as he has grown over three inches this year. I'm so not prepared for this puberty thing!

My son is a pretty young 14 and I am finding that in the last year or so he has periodically forgotten and re-remembered all kinds of things he used to know. How to capitalize properly, spell, punctuate, multiply, subtract (!), etc. It seems to come and go. I assume when the hormones chill his brain will stabilize.