Menu

Hiking shoes/boots for boys? That will last?

My boys need new shoes. Last time I bought them Swiss Army hiking shoes from Target, and they started falling apart within a month. They've actually worn holes through them--even my guys who are kind to shoes! I've always just purchased what was on sale, but I'm not having any luck finding what I need.

I need shoes that are sturdy enough for everyday wear, but also have some traction for hiking in the mountains. My boys are slow growers, so they need to hold up.

They range in size from about a 13 to a 4 or 5.

I could probably choke down the thought of $40/pair.

I'm fine with ordering online, but would prefer that they have free shipping both ways.

What brands last?

My boys have done well with both LL Bean and Lands' End. My boys are also slow growers, and are more likely to grow out of shoes than wear them out.

I have always been able to pass down Lands' End and LL Bean from one boy to the other and then give them to my sister for her kids.

Occasionally, in a pinch, I buy my older boy sneakers from Target and they always, always fall apart in a few months. I consider them disposable.

We've done Lands End before, but they don't have the sizes I need this year in a style I like. Is LL Bean's warranty just as good?

If you are looking for warranty, then I say go for Bean. In my mind, they have the gold standard return policy.

Thanks. I don't expect to have to use it, but I'd feel better knowing it was there. Because between 5 pairs of boy feet, they sure can come up with some interesting ways to test how indestructible things really are :glare:.

I think that LLBean boots are some of the best out there, but I'm not keen on spending $60 for boots my boys will outgrow quickly (and my oldest outgrew boots in a matter of months!). But, we've had great luck with Timberline and Hi Tec boots as well. I've often found them at discount shoe stores.

The Hi-Tecs are heavier than the Timberlines, but still a good sturdy boot with no signs of breaking down.

Both are around $40/pair whereas the LLBean boots are $60.

I think that LLBean boots are some of the best out there, but I'm not keen on spending $60 for boots my boys will outgrow quickly (and my oldest outgrew boots in a matter of months!). But, we've had great luck with Timberline and Hi Tec boots as well. I've often found them at discount shoe stores.

The Hi-Tecs are heavier than the Timberlines, but still a good sturdy boot with no signs of breaking down.

Both are around $40/pair whereas the LLBean boots are $60.

Thanks. Amazon has some reasonably priced Hi-Tecs, but I wasn't sure how they'd hold up.

how did I not know about these Bean mountain mocs before? for $40, they're only a little bit more than we spend at the Stride Rite outlet for sneakers.

Comfortable for everyday wear? My boys would like them, and if they last through more than one kid, that would be a bonus. Hmmm... I wonder if they could be worn in gym class...

(dd is on a school camping trip as I write this, and we had trouble finding shoes :glare:. I don't know why I didn't think to look at Bean - duh.)

Thanks. Amazon has some reasonably priced Hi-Tecs, but I wasn't sure how they'd hold up.

Ooops, I just checked my boys' boots....

Younger ds has Nevados, which have held up well. He had Timberlines prior to these. The Nevados are heavier than the Timberlines, but both have held up great. I dropped the Timberlines off at a consignment store and got $20 for them, after being worn for a year.

Older ds has Hi-Tec. He wore them on a 10 day Boy Scout hike in New Mexico. He's had them for about a year now and he has no complaints about them. Normally, I would have bought him a 'better' brand, but I figured he'd outgrow them before the hike and then I'd get him a better pair a couple months prior to the big trip. However, his feet stopped growing and he wore the Hi-Tecs with no problems at all.