Menu

WWYD? Wait for your house to sell or move and rent...

Brief Update 7/15/08

I posted several months ago that dh’s company was being bought out and he was looking for a job. He did accept an offer in April and started his new job in Indianapolis in the middle of June. He is currently staying in a small efficiency apt.

We listed our house at the end of May because dh was out of the country and we had to process a bunch of paperwork with the new company before it could be listed. We had 3 showings the first week and only 2 more since then. We live in a small town, with tons of houses on the market. Our house is priced fairly but with the current housing market it is hard to predict when it will sell.

Given the current situation how long would you wait for a possible sale? I hate the thought of moving twice but we may have to do it. The company will pay for our move so it would be great to do it once. I know folks recommend moving to an area and then buying but dh is already there so it wouldn’t be difficult to get an idea of where we would like to live. All of our previous moves (we’ve had many) involved dh moving 3 months prior to us but it looks like it will be longer this time and that is depressing.

With dh being gone, all the paperwork with a new job, roll-over retirement stuff etc I feel like I am shuffling paperwork all day! Ds and I are also trying to finish up some school work that was stretched out due to my health issues. I need to make some curriculum decisions for the fall but I feel like my brain is going to explode.

For those who were praying for my ugly autoimmune induced rash - it has completely subsided for which I am so thankful. I did end up with some whip lash problems after I hit a deer with my car (which did end up being totaled) in May so I have been going to the chiropractor twice a week to deal with that. I had severe headaches from a contraption he had to use on my head but he no longer has to use it, whew! I feel so much better after the chiro treatments and I’m thankful I found somebody who knew what he was doing even though it is a half-hour drive each way.

Would you please pray for the sale of our home and wisdom about how to proceed if there in no movement on it?

Thanks so much.

VH

I would depend on your relo package. If they pay for a move within a year or more, you have time. Do they pay for temporary housing? Then to save money, I would stretch out moving for a long as possible. I have found an empty house screams bargain to buyers. In otherwords, a buyer sees an empty house and they think they can really low ball you because you will be desparate. Our last relo package paid to move twice..once to the temp storage facility and once to the new place you will live in. You want to do this move in time to get all those benefits. Realize, if they are paying realtor fees, then you really want to get your house sold during that time frame. I know..easier said than done.

(should I take this time to say again how I wish builders would stop building houses when the ones that are out there are not selling, they are destroying the housing market).

Then I would use the temp housing to the limit and put most of your stuff in storage so that you can have enough time to get to know the area before you buy.

Brief Update 7/15/08

IWould you please pray for the sale of our home and wisdom about how to proceed if there in no movement on it?

Thanks so much.

VH

Would you like for me to add your name to the current WTM homes to sell list? (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=355777#poststop) Also, if you have time, read my testimony (elsewhere in that same thread) on the sale (currently in process) of my house. Hopefully, you'll be encouraged!

I would depend on your relo package. If they pay for a move within a year or more, you have time. Do they pay for temporary housing? Then to save money, I would stretch out moving for a long as possible. I have found an empty house screams bargain to buyers. In otherwords, a buyer sees an empty house and they think they can really low ball you because you will be desparate. Our last relo package paid to move twice..once to the temp storage facility and once to the new place you will live in. You want to do this move in time to get all those benefits. Realize, if they are paying realtor fees, then you really want to get your house sold during that time frame. I know..easier said than done.

The relocation package will pay for a move within a year. They paid for a month of temporary housing for dh at an extended stay place. He just moved into another effeciency apt which is sort of like an extended stay place only cheaper (with a bonus of a smoke smelly room!) but can be paid for on a weekly basis.

Yes, I agree that an empty house doesn't look great which is why I'm trying to stay here as long as we can. Unfortunately I can't imagine shoveling heavy snow off our wide driveway in the winter so I'm thinking that we may have to move by Nov.

Thanks for responding.

VH

Wow, Sharon, what a wonderful story of God's provision. Yes, God has taken care of us with all our previous moves so we are trusting Him on this one too.

Would you like for me to add your name to the current WTM homes to sell list? (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=355777#poststop) Also, if you have time, read my testimony (elsewhere in that same thread) on the sale (currently in process) of my house. Hopefully, you'll be encouraged![/quote

Yes, please add my name to your list. Will be praying for the others too.

Thanks,

VH

Wow, Sharon, what a wonderful story of God's provision. Yes, God has taken care of us with all our previous moves so we are trusting Him on this one too.

Would you like for me to add your name to the current WTM homes to sell list? (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=355777#poststop) Also, if you have time, read my testimony (elsewhere in that same thread) on the sale (currently in process) of my house. Hopefully, you'll be encouraged![/quote

Yes, please add my name to your list. Will be praying for the others too.

Thanks,

VH

Done!

house until it sold then moved to the new town with my dh. The homes that were furnished sold within 4-6 months. The one time that I moved with him and left the home empty it took a year for it to sell. I guess the advise of a furnished home selling is very true for us. I would hold off on the furniture move as long as possible.

VH has historically done this, too, several times! The rub is that the climate where she is now. Winters in her part of MN are soooo brutal. I can't imagine facing that alone--and she has health issues that complicate things.

In this case, VH, my recommendation is to move, even if it takes the house a little longer to sell. It's a really nice place that will speak well on its own. Empty is not the ideal, but I don't think it will hurt you much. It doesn't hurt that you have a fab kitchen!

There are some positive outcomes that have been posted here by staying in your house until it sells but let me give you a different side.

My best friend moved to Wyoming in August of last year. Her dh was supposed to meet them there by October. He's still here waiting for the "perfect" job to appear in WY. This has taken a HUGE toll on the family and their marriage. It only gets worse the longer they're apart.

IMO, get there as fast as you can and let the house sell when it's time. Nothing should get between you and your dh. Time has a way of creating problems when there weren't any to begin with.

My 2 cents.