Menu

S/O Do you think you have gotten better looking with age?

That's a tough one.

I think I could have been somewhat pretty when I was young, but I didn't know how to dress or do my hair or anything. So, I was pretty: pretty slobby that is. :)

But now, I take great care with my clothes and hair so that I can feel presentable. I think I'm attractive now in the sense that I exercise and fix my hair and wear properly fitting clothes. When I was younger, I just looked shabby all the time, and my hair stuck out funny.

To see what I look like, you can look at my blog. I posted a picture of me looking slobby today (which is rare), but if you scroll down to yesterday's post you'll see what I normally look like. I posted a bunch of pictures of myself yesterday, looking how I normally do.

Edited by Garga

That's a tough one.

I think I could have been somewhat pretty when I was young, but I didn't know how to dress or do my hair or anything. So, I was pretty: pretty slobby that is. :)

But now, I take great care with my clothes and hair so that I can feel presentable. I don't think I'm pretty, but I'm attractive in the sense that I exercise and fix my hair and wear properly fitting clothes.

If I'd known then what I know now...

And the Lasik eye surgery helped. Getting rid of those ugly glasses made a big difference. And losing a little bit of weight.

YOU are adorable. You remind me of Juliette Binoche.

I was better looking at 40 than at 14, LOL. I didn't change much from 16 to 36 other than losing the soft cheeks. Now I'm qualifying for the granny brigade, but I am not unhappy with how I've aged.

I have a lot of white hairs, but people don't seem to notice. I personally do not mind them at all.

i think i'm aging pretty well, but i'd be lying if i said at 41 i look better than i did at 28. my husband thinks i'm beautiful and says i'm prettier every year...but what else is he going to say?? lol.

having said that though, i have gained in many other respects that i lacked decades ago. i am much wiser now & with each year i have more of a c'est la vie attitude. i kind of like that part about getting older!:)

That's a tough one.

But now, I take great care with my clothes and hair so that I can feel presentable. I think I'm attractive now in the sense that I exercise and fix my hair and wear properly fitting clothes. When I was younger, I just looked shabby all the time, and my hair stuck out funny.

To see what I look like, you can look at my blog. I posted a picture of me looking slobby today (which is rare), but if you scroll down to yesterday's post you'll see what I normally look like. I posted a bunch of pictures of myself yesterday, looking how I normally do.

loved the picture. you are much prettier in your pj's than i am!!:D

I cried the other day when I saw a picture of myself when I was 17. I was thin, I had hair and looked quite nice. Not model beautiful but nice. I cried because today I look probably 10 years older than I really am. Chronic illness and obesity has taken a huge toll on my looks.

Just remember we are our own worst critic.;)

Absolutely or relatively?

Absolutely - nope, definitely not. I did look better at 20 than I do at 44.

Relatively, compared to others my age? Yes, I do think so.

This, I choose this! I was "all that and a bag of chips" at 20.

But now, at least I have almost no wrinkles in my 50's!

I always say that I want my 20 year old body, my 45 year old power and 90 year old wisdom...all at the same time.

Lord no. I am finally beginning to look my age, and I don't like it. I know I'm not old, but people used to tell me all the time that I looked so young, and now that rarely happens. Plus I'm chubby. That doesn't help. It makes me sad, but it is what it is.

Lord no. I am finally beginning to look my age, and I don't like it. I know I'm not old, but people used to tell me all the time that I looked so young, and now that rarely happens. Plus I'm chubby. That doesn't help. It makes me sad, but it is what it is.

:sad:

People could not believe I was 40 when I was. I feel like I look much older than my age now. :crying: and I am sure I have more grey than not. Siiigh.

I looked waaaay younger than my age forever, until the last five years. Now I hate to see a picture of myself. For some reason pictures look different than when I look in the mirror. When I look in the mirror I see the me I've always seen. When I see a picture, I see my mother.

Oh my, I could have written every word of this!

I had better potential when I was younger but I didn't know how to play it up well. I was a sad mix of so shy I didn't want anyone to notice me and trying too hard. Now that I'm older, I think I come across as a more attractive and confident woman when I put forth a little effort. I wish I could go back and give the younger me a little pep talk and some tips.

Well, my "ladies" sure looked a whole lot better before I nursed 3 kids:lol:. I don't think I look my age (only 32). I still get carded to buy booze. Then the cashiers feel silly when they see my age. Thanks to oily skin I have no lines. Lady Clairol takes care of the grays;). I feel more confident (mostly I just don't care what other people think of me) so I think that shows. My dh still bothers me all the time. Overall, I am cool with the aging process. I just hate the idea of having to grow up. That I will never accept.

I actually think I do look better. I spent most of my life with severe IBS and I was told to just get used to it. I could keep very little food in my system, and I was always painfully thin, with gaunt cheeks etc. I just looked unhealthy. Then about two years ago I discovered that medical science had advanced since I was a child and there was a medicine that would help me. It has really given me a new life in many ways! One of the ways is that I gained 25 lbs and for the first time in my life I have curves! I really should probably lose weight at this point, but I finally feel healthy and I feel like this is the weight my body is meant to be. I feel much better in my body now, much less gawky.

Apparently not. Dd saw my senior yearbook and found my picture. She said, "Mom, you were so PRETTY then!" :glare:

Tell me about it. :glare:

My dh has a framed photo of me in his office from back in my modeling days when I was a lot blonder and sexier, and people are always asking who it is. :glare: And then when dh tells them it's me, they say, "Wow, she was really hot."

WAS.

That's the past tense, for those of you who aren't grammar buffs.

WAS HOT.

As in, NOT SO HOT NOW. :sneaky2:

But hey, I was in my 20's then, and now I'm pushing 50, so I can't expect to look the same way I used to look. I think of it as an "every dog has his day" kind of thing. I had my day, and now it's someone else's turn. I just want to look the best 49 I can look, and I figure I'm doing OK at that. Not incredible, but OK. I'm not trying to compete with anyone else any more, and I think that's the key to aging gracefully.

Edited by Catwoman

Yes I do. However, I'm at the precipice of looking older now at 33 as I've started to notice some wrinkles forming. I've got a lot more confidence now though and feel I'm able to present myself better. I just like me better and wish I did when I was younger. When I start showing more signs of aging though I'll probably have to process that as of now it is minimal, as I said a few wrinkles are starting and I only ever see gray hairs randomly- maybe ever 3 (and I have dark brown hair). I should say at this very minute though I am pretty hugely pregnant, so not feeling so hot :)

I looked waaaay younger than my age forever, until the last five years. Now I hate to see a picture of myself. For some reason pictures look different than when I look in the mirror. When I look in the mirror I see the me I've always seen. When I see a picture, I see my mother.

This is me, also. I've decided I peaked at age 45, looks-wise. :tongue_smilie: Now at age 50 it's not the jowls and grey hair that bother me. It's stress that shows on my face and I don't care for the look. (I'm working on it, though, with the aid of a therapist and some major self-care. It's my new "beauty regimen" and I highly recommend it!)

Hmm..I think I look pretty much the same. Yes, a little older of course but generally the same. I am in the best shape of my life, however, and am healthier than I've ever been- so I guess I would say *I* am happier with how I look now than ever before in my life, and I don't really care what other people think about it :D

Surprisingly yes. In most cases, women end up looking older and aging faster than their spouses. We did the opposite. I am thinner, in better physical shape, have great younger genetics ( no wrinkles ). And although I have grayling hair and facial hair:glare: .....it is nothing a bottle of Clairol and some wax won't handle. I also have nicer clothes, know how to wear them.....and I am not up all night long with babies..or nursing....or puking from morning sickness etc....

So yeah, I look really good right now. :D

I had better potential when I was younger but I didn't know how to play it up well. I was a sad mix of so shy I didn't want anyone to notice me and trying too hard. Now that I'm older, I think I come across as a more attractive and confident woman when I put forth a little effort. I wish I could go back and give the younger me a little pep talk and some tips.

:iagree: I was just sitting here thinking, no!! I've seen pictures from my 20s recently and I just looked so... awkward. In my 40s, I look the same - features, etc - but far more just me than I did then.

Well, my "ladies" sure looked a whole lot better before I nursed 3 kids:lol:. I don't think I look my age (only 32). I still get carded to buy booze. I feel more confident (mostly I just don't care what other people think of me) so I think that shows. My dh still bothers me all the time. Overall, I am cool with the aging process. I just hate the idea of having to grow up. That I will never accept.

:iagree: except I only have 2 kids and am 33. I get carded still and people are often surprised I have an almost 7 year old. I've lost 15 lbs this year, so that's helped, too.

My mother's side of the family is blessed with great skin, so I don't really have wrinkles. I've also lost 15 lbs this year, so that has helped. There are issues I'd like to fix, but overall, I'm happy with how I look. I hope I can say the same in 10 years.

Edited by emski4379

Title asks the question:)

after about 45, I can't think of anyone who looks better than they would have at 25, unless maybe there was something really wrong at 25 that they changed.

This is just one of those realities of life that I think modern women have a hard time accepting, but it's just true. People who look at this with an artistic eye might say, "Oh, I find her old, lined face quite beautiful in it's own way." Which is great. I love the saying, "that which is loved is beautiful." To me, my Grandmother was always always a beautiful woman.

But if you use traditional ideas of what makes a woman physically beautiful, women have a peak. It might be 25 for one woman and 35 for another. But it won't be 65 for almost any of them. I can't think of one.

after about 45, I can't think of anyone who looks better than they would have at 25, unless maybe there was something really wrong at 25 that they changed.

This is just one of those realities of life that I think modern women have a hard time accepting, but it's just true. People who look at this with an artistic eye might say, "Oh, I find her old, lined face quite beautiful in it's own way." Which is great. I love the saying, "that which is loved is beautiful." To me, my Grandmother was always always a beautiful woman.

But if you use traditional ideas of what makes a woman physically beautiful, women have a peak. It might be 25 for one woman and 35 for another. But it won't be 65 for almost any of them. I can't think of one.

I think the range is around 20-45 or so, but I can think of women who look better even older. I don't hold to traditional standards of beauty though, I think there is much more to it than that.

Yes! I looked 13 when I was 20, so you can imagine the comments I got when my dd was born when I was 21. :glare: I look older now, and I actually like it, because people take me seriously.

This was my problem, too.

I actually let my grays grow in (I have far more than my much older Dh) because when I have none? NO one takes me seriously. When I dye my hair, I get carded.

Absolutely or relatively?

Absolutely - nope, definitely not. I did look better at 20 than I do at 44.

Relatively, compared to others my age? Yes, I do think so.

I like this attitude. Mainly because most people can look good as they age, as long as they take care of themselves.

I was in fantastic physical shape in college (I was an athlete,) but I was an emotional mess. Not to mention kind of a jerk. I'll take myself now over myself then any day.