Menu

PR users help!!

nknapp5

I made a phonics switch last year for my 2nd grade ds. We started using PR level 1 because they said when starting no matter what grade to start at the beginning and I could use it "accelerated". Well here we are a full year later, now 3rd grade, and still on level 1. We are taking each week an actual full week. I have him go back over past weeks to review past word lists and it is as if he's never seen the word. I feel like it is mainly a spelling program with some reading (the 4 page books) and that is all. I thought it was a full language arts curriculum. Plus I thought by this point we would be in level 2. So I guess my question is, is PR a full language arts curriculum and what am I doing wrong that my son is not spelling and reading better? He is 8.

I made a phonics switch last year for my 2nd grade ds. We started using PR level 1 because they said when starting no matter what grade to start at the beginning and I could use it "accelerated". Well here we are a full year later, now 3rd grade, and still on level 1. We are taking each week an actual full week. I have him go back over past weeks to review past word lists and it is as if he's never seen the word. I feel like it is mainly a spelling program with some reading (the 4 page books) and that is all. I thought it was a full language arts curriculum. Plus I thought by this point we would be in level 2. So I guess my question is, is PR a full language arts curriculum and what am I doing wrong that my son is not spelling and reading better? He is 8.

We are in PR 2 this year, and it has so many other components that PR 1 doesn't. Not that level 1 isn't necessary, but PR 2 adds in grammar and literature study (not just reading). I LOVE it. I actually thought that the work level of PR 2 jumped too much from PR 1 when I started planning, but it is just perfect. My son is really taking off and loves it, but level 1 is really foundational.

As far as how to get through it quickly, I won't be much help. My ds went through it in 34 weeks as laid out. Some weeks he didn't have all the words perfectly, but we just worked on those few rules where he was weak in later weeks, sometimes revisiting past weeks' words, sometimes with the new words.

You could probably move a little quicker through level 1 and level 2 because the first half of level 3 will review all those spelling words. In level 1 the focus is on applying the rule tunes correctly and cementing phonogram sounds. Level 2 adds in beginning grammar and literature study. Level 3 is where the rubber meets the road imo, that is where you get the spelling down, increase the grammar, and add word study. We are accelerating also so my DD9's are now in level 3. I'm not sure how much accelerating we will do with this level, it's to early to tell since this is where they make the transition to all cursive writing. They did levels 1 and 2 at an average of 2 weeks of material in 1 week, but ymmv depending on the child.

First, I started PR1 at 2nd grade too and took a full year. We're in PR2 now in 3rd but barely. I did have my boys reading before we started so that PR, for us, was just for spelling in level 1. How close are you to the end of level 1?

I did an end of week spelling test and then carried missed words to practice the following week. Are you supposed to go back and review past lists? If you are I missed that instruction.

When we started PR2 they did a spelling test of words from PR1 and Ms. Beers said kids were expected to miss words--not to be concerned.

I took level 1 as learning those rules as we applied them over and over along with learning the phonograms. Now that we're in PR2 I think that approach was fine and, FWIW, neither of mine remembered all the phonograms at the start of PR2 either. We're just reviewing.

Is he spelling many of the words correctly at the end of the week? If you're seeing no retention from day to day, ability to apply the rules, etc. and reading isn't coming either I might look into there being another issue. From your description, though, I'm not sure you're seeing anything different than I did. I have a more natural speller/reader and one who struggles more. Interestingly, they missed about the same amount on their PR2 beginning spelling test.

If you are still coming along in reading and spelling I would not feel I needed to push grammar or composition at this point. I'd concentrate on those basics first.