Menu

To eat or not to eat, that is the cultural question...

Maybe some of you know I'm an American trapped in a Korean body (translation: I was adopted as an infant from Korea and raised in rural America). I married a Korean American (his folks are Korean, but he was born and raised in the States).

DH's sister came into town and made delicious Korean food for us! For a whole week we stuffed ourselves full of soups, pan chan (side dishes), and rice! At the first meal, I had like three huge bowls of soup, two bowls of rice and all the side dish chopstick-sized helpings I could get! And SIL was like, would you like some more?

It made me think of my mom, who would've said two soup bowls and ten side dish helpings ago, "Whoa, there. Stop eating! You'll make yourself sick!"

And here is my sweeping generalization/stereotype/cultural observation that you are free to affirm or contradict:

American culture says: eat well, eat less.

Korean culture says: eat more, it's good for you!

:lol:

Also, what do other cultures say about food, or more properly, about eating?

:bigear:

And here is my sweeping generalization/stereotype/cultural observation that you are free to affirm or contradict:

American culture says: eat well, eat less.

Korean culture says: eat more, it's good for you!

Also, what do other cultures say about food, or more properly, about eating?

:bigear:

Maybe it is because "everything is bigger in Texas" but eat less is not my American experience and I am born and raised here. In fact I always thought that we were known for our over-sized portions? I also find the eat well part to be questionable. Most of the people I know live on mass produced boxed food products.

My experience when I was living in both England and Australia was that they took regular trips to the super market, 2-3 times per week. I found that not only did they tend to eat locally more often but they also ate fresher and purchased fewer boxed items.

Our eating habits in America are abysmal at best.

Edited by AnnaM

Maybe it is because "everything is bigger in Texas" but eat less is not my American experience and I am born and raised here. In fact I always thought that we were known for our over-sized portions? I also find the eat well part to be questionable. Most of the people I know live on mass produced boxed food products.

My experience when I was living in both England and Australia was that they took regular trips to the super market, 2-3 times per week. I found that not only did they tend to eat locally more often but they also ate fresher and purchased fewer boxed items.

Our eating habits in America are abysmal at best.

You know, you're right! Since I'm working so hard at eating healthily, I assume eeeeveryone is!

:tongue_smilie:

Okay, how about I put it this way: Americans know they should be eating well, eating less. Whether or not they follow through, though...

And re: England and Australia - perhaps their view of eating would be "eat fresh, if you're gonna eat." How did their portion sizes look to you?

My experience here is the opposite. All the people in Malaysia are shocked at the portion sizes of westerners. My dh can easily eat all of a dish that they use for a family of four. But they also eat TONS of rice to fill up and we only eat small amounts.

Funny: a new restaurant opened here and the owners are trying to cater to the expats so we went there and the portion sizes are comically enormous. The owner told me he is trying to do it like they do in America. :lol:

Here's my take. (My husband's culture has a similar approach to feedings guests as your husband's does.) Most of the time in these other cultures, people don't eat much. Some people are actually going hungry, others are just sort of okay. Or they are just eating the right amount of good food, in the best case scenario. But when guests come, it's the time for feasting. I mean, there are people who might only eat meat at those times, right? So eat up! However, in American culture, most people who are reasonably well to do (i.e. anyone who is not starving) has constant access to food. So being at someone's house is not their big chance for a fancy meal. They can and do eat most of this stuff daily. So there is neither a desire nor a need to eat way more than usual.

The issue for me is that my husband wants to keep pushing food on my parents, but my mom is usually on some sort of diet. She does not want more. He thinks it's awful that I ask people how much they want and don't keep urging them to eat more. I say, they eat fine all the time, and are trying to eat LESS. Most people in his culture with money may eat a good lunch, but breakfast and dinner are still pretty modest. Like, tea and bread modest. That adds up to a lot less food. But when people eat, they do eat.

hee hee. I'm half Korean and my Korean mom is just like your SIL. :001_smile:

She always offers food & drink to any company and you can NOT refuse because it is rude in her book and if you eat her food and burp, she considers it a compliment. :D We love good food and if you are full, you just undo that button on your pants and take a break and then eat more.

You would think she would be large, but mom is only 98 lbs. soaking wet! I wish I inherited her metabolism!

In Japan they say "Eat until you are eight parts full". Ie. until you are 80% full. But if you have a guest, you say, "We have nothing, but please eat." And you urge food on them!

Hey, now, I like that! I'll have to use that for myself (the 80% part) :)

My Korean American roommate when I was overseas also said that Koreans eat with their mouths (huuuuge bites, like beef wrapped in lettuce leaves all stuffed in at once) and the Japanese eat with their eyes, meaning everything is laid out in an eye-pleasing way. Have you heard this?

Also, does "we have nothing, but please eat" mean that the hosts do not eat with you? That happens in my experience with Koreans. The mother, for example, doesn't eat with the family, but keeps serving. She eats after everyone is done.

So interesting!

My experience here is the opposite. All the people in Malaysia are shocked at the portion sizes of westerners. My dh can easily eat all of a dish that they use for a family of four. But they also eat TONS of rice to fill up and we only eat small amounts.

Funny: a new restaurant opened here and the owners are trying to cater to the expats so we went there and the portion sizes are comically enormous. The owner told me he is trying to do it like they do in America. :lol:

Interesting, so even what we as Americans might say is modest, other cultures would say, hello! Do you need a dump truck or would this shovel do?!?

Also, does "we have nothing, but please eat" mean that the hosts do not eat with you? That happens in my experience with Koreans. The mother, for example, doesn't eat with the family, but keeps serving. She eats after everyone is done.

My mother in law does this. She is Jewish and her parents were from Poland. I just thought it was her way of avoiding interaction, but maybe it's a cultural thing.

Here's my take. (My husband's culture has a similar approach to feedings guests as your husband's does.) Most of the time in these other cultures, people don't eat much. Some people are actually going hungry, others are just sort of okay. Or they are just eating the right amount of good food, in the best case scenario. But when guests come, it's the time for feasting. I mean, there are people who might only eat meat at those times, right? So eat up! However, in American culture, most people who are reasonably well to do (i.e. anyone who is not starving) has constant access to food. So being at someone's house is not their big chance for a fancy meal. They can and do eat most of this stuff daily. So there is neither a desire nor a need to eat way more than usual.

The issue for me is that my husband wants to keep pushing food on my parents, but my mom is usually on some sort of diet. She does not want more. He thinks it's awful that I ask people how much they want and don't keep urging them to eat more. I say, they eat fine all the time, and are trying to eat LESS. Most people in his culture with money may eat a good lunch, but breakfast and dinner are still pretty modest. Like, tea and bread modest. That adds up to a lot less food. But when people eat, they do eat.

Thanks for sharing your perspective! In general, while Korea is not a third world country, it's still very traditional. So, though they eat enough at every meal now (not a third world country), but they still follow traditions formed in the "skinny" years perhaps.

And I totally hear ya on the "two ships passing in the night" thing going on with hosting your folks. DH and I have had several conversations about cultural expectations. I'm still learning, ha!

Edited by LivingOutLove

My mother in law does this. She is Jewish and her parents were from Poland. I just thought it was her way of avoiding interaction, but maybe it's a cultural thing.

You know, I have decided it is a way for the hostess to actually eat. I am so tired of spending my whole meal getting the kids more water, cutting up their food, getting something from the fridge, cleaning up a spill, and my husband is, too. I think I would like two meals. There is something rather smart about it. And I never eat much of anything when I have guests, anyway.

I had a lot of Asian American friends when I was in school, and one (only one!) got quite snotty at the idea of me entering her kitchen. So instead, she and her mom prepared the meal and left me all by myself for like an hour. She is nissei Japanese American and insisted this was a cultural matter. Whereas I used to sit in the kitchen chatting with my Korean American best friend (also with immigrant parentsh) and her mom. Many many times. I probably spent the most time in their kitchen, when I was at her house!

Edited by stripe

I lived in Norway for 4 years, and really enjoyed the eating-with-company culture there. They don't usually have dining rooms, rather very large coffee tables in the living room with sofas. The meals would often be either just a light dinner (often salmon or shrimp sandwiches), or eating dessert-type food (vafler = waffles, served with strawberry and raspberry jelly). You were encouraged to eat a lot, but you knew there was only the one course.

hee hee. I'm half Korean and my Korean mom is just like your SIL. :001_smile:

She always offers food & drink to any company and you can NOT refuse because it is rude in her book and if you eat her food and burp, she considers it a compliment. :D We love good food and if you are full, you just undo that button on your pants and take a break and then eat more.

You would think she would be large, but mom is only 98 lbs. soaking wet! I wish I inherited her metabolism!

Speaking of that, FIL says, "Sounds like it tasted good," when we burp at meals. :lol:

Also, slurping is good, right?

I brought three of my students to my hometown from Korea. We were visiting a friend of mine who served us spaghetti. It was quiet at the dinnertable except for the three slurpers. My friend and I looked at each other and just laughed. We then explained the cultural difference to the poor kids!

Well, we are Americans and try very hard to eat healthy food in healthy portions. My kids (12 and 7) assume that all store bought muffins are meant to be divided into 4 servings. And, I have them convinced that ice cream sandwiches are made to be divided into two.

But, the only reason I am posting to this thread is to say that if I was faced with a table of homemade Korean food I would probably wear out my fork. I adore Korean food, but rarely have the opportunity to enjoy it. I am afraid to think about how much of that I could eat.

You know, I have decided it is a way for the hostess to actually eat. I am so tired of spending my whole meal getting the kids more water, cutting up their food, getting something from the fridge, cleaning up a spill, and my husband is, too. I think I would like two meals. There is something rather smart about it. And I never eat much of anything when I have guests, anyway.

Too true, too true!

I had a lot of Asian American friends when I was in school, and one (only one!) got quite snotty at the idea of me entering her kitchen. So instead, she and her mom prepared the meal and left me all by myself for like an hour. She is nissei Japanese American and insisted this was a cultural matter.

Wow, I would've felt waaay more awkward about that than I usually feel when dining at someone else's house. Glad you made it through!

Whereas I used to sit in the kitchen chatting with my Korean American best friend (also with immigrant parentsh) and her mom. Many many times. I probably spent the most time in their kitchen, when I was at her house!

Sounds like a delightful and delicious experience :)

But, the only reason I am posting to this thread is to say that if I was faced with a table of homemade Korean food I would probably wear out my fork. I adore Korean food, but rarely have the opportunity to enjoy it. I am afraid to think about how much of that I could eat.

Seriously, sister, give me five. Right here. Right on.

SOOOOO GOOOOOOD!!!!

I finally learned from my SIL this last visit how to make kimchichigae (soup). I had tried before, and DH ate it out of kindness (hunger?) but I could barely stomach it. This time around I felt so proud I ate two huge bowls in a row! Poor nursing baby...

If you want a semi-recipe, PM me and I'll try to recreate what I did in list form!

I lived in Norway for 4 years, and really enjoyed the eating-with-company culture there. They don't usually have dining rooms, rather very large coffee tables in the living room with sofas. The meals would often be either just a light dinner (often salmon or shrimp sandwiches), or eating dessert-type food (vafler = waffles, served with strawberry and raspberry jelly). You were encouraged to eat a lot, but you knew there was only the one course.

Wow, so light meals even for company!

Makes me think...when I'm hosting someone, I'll make huge meals and not the healthiest (as long as it's tasty!)...but when I'm just eating with family, in-laws included, I lean toward the eat well, eat less category. So maybe there are levels to this whole cultural eating thing.

How does one eat with one's family?

How does one eat with company?

There is one Korean restaurant here in town, and I don't get there often. But, they make this very spicy seafood soup, that comes in a HUGE bowl. My dh is so proud that he ate the whole thing. He's a skinny guy, but can really eat if he wants to. The owner told him he was the first white guy that had ever finished the soup. :lol: I love that soup also but prefer bibimbop. They make one that is in a very hot stone bowl and the whole thing is sizzling.

Well, crud, now I am starving.

And let's not even talk about my history with kimchi. I fear it may border on inappropriate.

Interesting, so even what we as Americans might say is modest, other cultures would say, hello! Do you need a dump truck or would this shovel do?!?

Not necessarily. I'm just guessing that the number of Americans who are super conscientious about health and portion control is relatively low. I think it's probably over-represented on this board. I think these Big American Portions must be large plates or even luncheon-sized plates that are so loaded the food MUST touch to fit. I imagine the serving size of a meal you'd get at Outback would be considered Super Enormous Big American Portions.

There is one Korean restaurant here in town, and I don't get there often. But, they make this very spicy seafood soup, that comes in a HUGE bowl. My dh is so proud that he ate the whole thing. He's a skinny guy, but can really eat if he wants to. The owner told him he was the first white guy that had ever finished the soup. :lol: I love that soup also but prefer bibimbop. They make one that is in a very hot stone bowl and the whole thing is sizzling.

Well, crud, now I am starving.

And let's not even talk about my history with kimchi. I fear it may border on inappropriate.

Wow, that IS impressive! I don't like seafood that still looks like the actual creature, so no anchovies with eyes, scales...no squid that's caught, dried, and served as is...

I just found an awesome recipe for bibimbap sauce! Let me see if I can find it...

Okay, here it is from food dot com

Kochujang Sauce

2 tablespoons red chili paste (kochujang)

2 small garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon rice vinegar

1 tablespoon soy sauce

2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds

2 scallions, finely shredded or diagonal

2 teaspoons sugar

Mix together well. Keeps well in fridge for awhile!

Tastes just like I remember!

To make bibimbap, find a good Asian store, and buy your favorite side dishes.

Put rice in a biiiiiiiig bowl. Add a few scoops of your side dishes. Top with a fried egg and some of that lovely sauce you just made. And there ya go!

The hot stone bowl is a called a dol sot. Dolsot bibimbap just happens to be my favorite Korean meal!

Making the side dishes from scratch makes bibimbap too hard for me. But since there's an awesome store by me, I can make it super quick!

Your experience with kimchi was that bad, huh?

Not necessarily. I'm just guessing that the number of Americans who are super conscientious about health and portion control is relatively low. I think it's probably over-represented on this board. I think these Big American Portions must be large plates or even luncheon-sized plates that are so loaded the food MUST touch to fit. I imagine the serving size of a meal you'd get at Outback would be considered Super Enormous Big American Portions.

Even if all of us are not super conscientious, don't you think we at least have an inkling that all junk all the time is just not going to cut it? If not, how sad!

My dh is Chinese-American. He says he remembers his mother saying a lot "Eat what you CAN.” (Meaning as much as you physically can not just what you think is polite or want.)

The other sort of food saying from his Mom is “Local ginger not hot.” (Meaning that you don’t appreciate local things just because they are common. This can mean food, but also can extend to meaning that you don’t appreciate your parents because you are too close to them.)

ETA: My husband’s parents grew up in China during WWII and I know went through some very rough times. His Mom in particular spent a period hiding in caves from the Japanese. So the “Eat what you CAN” may have stemmed just as much from having gone through true hunger and feeling like when there is bounty you should take advantage of it more than from some other cultural difference.

My grandmother was French and she had a thing where you had to say No three times before she would accept it if she was offering you food. She claimed this was the French way but I’ve never known if that’s true or if was just her. :)

Edited by Alice

Maybe some of you know I'm an American trapped in a Korean body (translation: I was adopted as an infant from Korea and raised in rural America).

Well, I knew you have a Korean body (at least you did before you moved away)..... you missed some old fashioned snorting at a Mom's night recently.

American here, spent a summer living with a dear Korean lady in Daegu when I was a college exchange student. :)

My (American) roommate and I had so many interesting observations about the different cultural practices related to food!

Some of the ones I remember -

- Koreans eat big breakfast "like a king", mid-size lunch, maybe-maybe-not dinner "like a peasant" (opposite of Americans, but makes WAY more sense)

- deference to older person, even in food (I was routinely served MUCH bigger and MUCH better meals than my roommate who was 4 months my junior) - didn't know how to take this at first, but got used to it quickly

- burping :lol:

- very little liquid, and almost never water (I was also VERY jealous of how little the Koreans seemed to sweat, compared to us Americans! We were nasty, while our Korean co-teachers were all tidy and classy.)

- personal note: I am not fond of spicy food, so I had a negative reaction to kimchi the first time . . . man alive, did that grow on me, and now I'm getting desperate for it just reading this thread!!!

- black bean fudge-sicles (quite a surprise)

- we also liked quite a bit of the packaging . . . like the mayo came in a bag the same as powdered sugar, and you just refilled your sturdier container at home - instead of throwing out a perfectly good reusable container

- the day I left, my Korean hostess served me a very special meal - she buttered 2 pieces of bread (we never saw anyone eating bread when we were there), soaked them in Coca-cola, spread mashed potatoes between them, and fried it in a pan . . . I queried her on the recipe, and she told me - You know! American food! (It was one of the most generous and touching things anyone ever did for me, and I just loved how much thought and care she put into it, tracking down the ingredients and waking early to make it for breakfast. It was delicious, too!)

- also, our hostess was part of an arranged marriage, and her husband lived far away in another city (with a different woman); when he came to visit, we ate quite differently, too - I don't fully understand it, but there was definitely something going on, related to the food

I love Korea, and I love Korean food!

-

I lived in Korea for a year - you are pretty safe to eats lots of it and not get fat -it's mostly rice and vegetables and tofu :D

American food is very different in quality - death by saturated fat :lol:

But, they make this very spicy seafood soup, that comes in a HUGE bowl. My dh is so proud that he ate the whole thing.

This made me LOL - it's very common in Korea to share food out of the same bowl. That bowl your DH ate was probably meant for 4 people :lol:

As to the Australian view on food -well 10 years ago we mostly ate fresh and local. I remember moving to Canada and having to relearn how to cook - I had no idea how to cook using all that processed food. The first time I went grocery shopping I asked my DH - "so where is all the real food"? :lol:

However in the last couple of years fresh ingredients have become incredibly expensive in Australia and its become much cheaper to buy the processed stuff (it used to be the other way around - as a kid my mother never bought stuff in a box because it was too dear). So now our eating habits are becoming more Americanised in some ways.

Our portion sizes are still half the size of Americans - our prices are expensive so we don't have a side salad with dinner (the salad IS the dinner LOL) and we don't eat half the sugar in our recipies either - whenever I make cookies or such using American cook books I always halve the amount of sugar otherwise none of us can stomach the sweetness. :001_huh:

I went to the Outback restuarant once when I was in the USA -it made me laugh so hard. The only thing Australian about it was the themed names for the food. We don't actually eat that stuff here or those portion sizes :ack2:

I went to the Outback restuarant once when I was in the USA -it made me laugh so hard. The only thing Australian about it was the themed names for the food. We don't actually eat that stuff here or those portion sizes :ack2:

No blooming onion every night? :lol:

When I went to Australia, everyone seemed to like cheesecake with a side of vanilla ice cream. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, but on the other hand, whenever I was taken out to eat when I lived in China, the portions were smaller, but you could not leave anything on the plate. Everyone was like, "Eat! Eat!" until people (especially the guests, both Western and Chinese) finished everything.

I'm Portuguese and growing up, we were always encouraged to eat more when we went to someone's house. I don't ever remember going to a friends house where her mom didn't insist I have something to eat and drink.

In Portugal, most people go to the store a few times a week and eat minimal processed food. The boxed food they do eat is what they've picked up from American eating habbits.

This made me LOL - it's very common in Korea to share food out of the same bowl. That bowl your DH ate was probably meant for 4 people :lol:

That is what we assumed as well. We asked if it was meant for the table and were told, no. There are plenty of Korean people in the restaurant each with their own bowl. It is just a big bowl of super spicy soup with little octopus floating around. I think of it as Korean bouillabaisse.

Yes, but on the other hand, whenever I was taken out to eat when I lived in China, the portions were smaller, but you could not leave anything on the plate. Everyone was like, "Eat! Eat!" until people (especially the guests, both Western and Chinese) finished everything.

That can backfire on you. I was taken out to a Chinese restaurant by some Chinese friends. One of the dishes they ordered was bitter melon. I absolutely abhor bitter melon. But I was taught from growing up overseas that you don't complain, you take a bite and make the best of it. So I did. They said, "Oh, we didn't know you liked bitter melon!" and ordered another dish of it! :svengo:

The most common word for 'to eat' is 'chi fan', which more-or-less means 'eat rice'. Traditionally in China, perhaps in Malaysia too, rice (or noodles/steamed bread in the north) were the main part of the meal, with anything else as a kind of garnish. This was still the way most people ate when I first went to China in 1985.

Laura

Eating at company's house/restaurants are a whole different deal.

I don't sit to dinner here, I keep the kitchen rolling along and talk from out there; when they get up and are "done/done", I ask from the kitchen, "You sure you got enough to eat?"

"Yep."

"Great..then, do you want this for lunch tomorrow or would you like X for lunch tomorrow?"

If they want what was dinner for lunch tomorrow, I pack it all up. I find myself something else. If they want something different, then that's MY dinner sitting there.

Eating at company's house/restaurants are a whole different deal.

I don't sit to dinner here, I keep the kitchen rolling along and talk from out there; when they get up and are "done/done", I ask from the kitchen, "You sure you got enough to eat?"

"Yep."

"Great..then, do you want this for lunch tomorrow or would you like X for lunch tomorrow?"

If they want what was dinner for lunch tomorrow, I pack it all up. I find myself something else. If they want something different, then that's MY dinner sitting there.

I cook and serve, then everyone waits until I sit down. At the end, everyone else tidies up.

Laura

That can backfire on you. I was taken out to a Chinese restaurant by some Chinese friends. One of the dishes they ordered was bitter melon. I absolutely abhor bitter melon. But I was taught from growing up overseas that you don't complain, you take a bite and make the best of it. So I did. They said, "Oh, we didn't know you liked bitter melon!" and ordered another dish of it! :svengo:

Something like that happened to a friend while she was in Japan. She hates cantaloupe, and it's apparently really expensive there, but someone had gotten it for her when she visited their house. She had to sit and eat a ton of it with a smile so as not to insult anyone.

I tried in China to eat at least some of whatever was put in front of me. But sometimes... oh, I hate pickled things and there's only so much greens I can eat in a meal. And I'm pretty sure I was once served dog as a joke, just to see if I'd eat it if they said it was pork.

My grandmother was French and she had a thing where you had to say No three times before she would accept it if she was offering you food. She claimed this was the French way but I’ve never known if that’s true or if was just her. :)

That'd confuse me! And I spent time in France, but I think I just ate. I never hosted. :)

No, no. My experience with kimchi was obsessive. I am pretty sure I was keeping an entire factory in business.

Hilarious! More power to ya!

- very little liquid, and almost never water (I was also VERY jealous of how little the Koreans seemed to sweat, compared to us Americans! We were nasty, while our Korean co-teachers were all tidy and classy.)

That's true! At those food court areas, you just got hot or cold water in little cups at the end of the cafeteria...That's it for drinks. Well, maybe you could get hot tea...My MIL loves watermelon and I wonder if it's because it's like a drink!

- personal note: I am not fond of spicy food, so I had a negative reaction to kimchi the first time . . . man alive, did that grow on me, and now I'm getting desperate for it just reading this thread!!!

I made myself eat at least a bite every day until I liked it. Took about a month!

- the day I left, my Korean hostess served me a very special meal - she buttered 2 pieces of bread (we never saw anyone eating bread when we were there), soaked them in Coca-cola, spread mashed potatoes between them, and fried it in a pan . . . I queried her on the recipe, and she told me - You know! American food! (It was one of the most generous and touching things anyone ever did for me, and I just loved how much thought and care she put into it, tracking down the ingredients and waking early to make it for breakfast. It was delicious, too!)

How nice! How interesting :)

I love Korea, and I love Korean food!

-

I'm Portuguese and growing up, we were always encouraged to eat more when we went to someone's house. I don't ever remember going to a friends house where her mom didn't insist I have something to eat and drink.

In Portugal, most people go to the store a few times a week and eat minimal processed food. The boxed food they do eat is what they've picked up from American eating habbits.

Thanks for sharing :)

Aw man...do I gotta? :tongue_smilie:

It's up to you. (Said in my best admonishing-mommy voice)

:tongue_smilie: