Menu

NOT Celiac Disease

Last Friday my ds11 had an endoscopy to determine if he had celiac disease. He weighs 66 pounds and is almost 5 feet tall.

Today we got the results back. He does not have celiac disease. His tests showed that he might have heartburn so he will be taking a medicine for that, but it is so much easier to deal with than celiac.

Thank you for all the positive thoughts last week. I am going to do my happy dance for a while now. Happy! Happy! Happy!

So happy for you!:grouphug:

My (almost 14 yo) daughter was having GI problems as well. We finally went and did an endoscopy on her last year. She tested negative for celiacs as well.

What she does have is functional dyspepsia. It is sort of like IBS/Acid reflux. She takes 40mg of Protonix in the morning and 150mg of Zantac at night. Her main complaint was "throat nausea". She would get it at least 3-4 times a week. Since being on these meds for over a year, I think she has complained maybe twice since then.

Anxiety plays a big part in this, which my dd has.

And yes, it is much easier to manage then Celiacs. And her pedi GI says most kids outgrow this.

Just so you know, the endoscopy may be the "gold standard," but it's a little like diagnosing heart disease by whether you've had a myocardial infarction (aka heart attack). By the time your guts are so broken down as to be noticeable, it's really really late in the game.

This is from someone who had a positive blood and stool (yes, you read that right) test, but never had the endoscopy to confirm. I was in the process of doing a "gluten challenge," having been gluten-free for months, when I discovered that I was expecting #1. He wound up being super tiny, after I was sick all during my pregnancy. (No doubt due to the ill-advised readmission of gluten into my diet.)

All that to say, your son may very well have gluten problems, though not "celiac disease," because CD can only be officially confirmed through endoscopy.

All that to say, your son may very well have gluten problems, though not "celiac disease,"

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My DD appears to have non-celiac gluten intolerance. She was off-the-charts small until I put her on a gluten- and dairy-free diet, then had a very dramatic "catch up" weight & height gain within 6 weeks.

I would still recommend a trial of a GF diet just to see if it helps.

All that to say, your son may very well have gluten problems, though not "celiac disease," because CD can only be officially confirmed through endoscopy.

:iagree: I could not agree more. And to add also that in children it's even less likely to get a positive result even if they do have celiacs. My dd was diagnosed when she was only 22 months old but it was not based on her biopsy. Her blood work was negative, her biopsy was inconclusive (and they also noticed severe damage to her duodenum from all the acid reflux she had), and then we did genetic testing which came back very high risk. We took her off gluten and she gained 5 lbs in 6 weeks which is a pretty big gain for anyone but to start she was only 15 lbs when we went GF so a 5 lb weight gain is HUGE.

She wasn't even on the growth charts before we went GF. She was almost 2 yrs old, weighed less than she did at 6 months old, and was wearing 6-9 mos old clothing. She gained 17 lbs the first year she was GF. Now she's a totally normally growing 5 yr old kid who's in the 50th percentiles for height/weight.

:iagree: I could not agree more. And to add also that in children it's even less likely to get a positive result even if they do have celiacs. My dd was diagnosed when she was only 22 months old but it was not based on her biopsy. Her blood work was negative, her biopsy was inconclusive (and they also noticed severe damage to her duodenum from all the acid reflux she had), and then we did genetic testing which came back very high risk. We took her off gluten and she gained 5 lbs in 6 weeks which is a pretty big gain for anyone but to start she was only 15 lbs when we went GF so a 5 lb weight gain is HUGE.

She wasn't even on the growth charts before we went GF. She was almost 2 yrs old, weighed less than she did at 6 months old, and was wearing 6-9 mos old clothing. She gained 17 lbs the first year she was GF. Now she's a totally normally growing 5 yr old kid who's in the 50th percentiles for height/weight.

Awesome blog btw. I'll be trying out some of your recipes.