Menu

Well trained decorators--help me choose a paint color...

My 2 older girls moved out last month:hurray::party::hurray:

This left us with 2 empty bedrooms. DH is claiming 1 for his home office since I have taken over the 'real' home office and we both cannot be on (different) conference calls at the same time in the same room.

I get the other (youngest dd is moving into the largest/second master).

I have an empty slate! The carpet is coming out and will be replaced with a cinnamon stained concrete (to match the rest of the house). The room is 12 x 14 with a HUGE built in bookcase/desk combo taking up half of a wall.

The woodwork/doors/desk/bookcase are white.

I need your color choices (samples or pictures would be nice) for paint. Right now it is cotton candy pink with a powder blue ceiling (was youngest dd's nursery/bedroom). It needs to change SOON!

I will be adding a queen bed and a rocking chair (room will be for guests-- or truthfully for when DH keeps me up with his snoring!).

I also have a HUGE carved cherry wood armoire that I keep my sewing stuff in as well as a cherry wood sewing desk (one of the nice ones that folds out) that I can also add to the room-- but they can stay in master bedroom if needed.

TIA

My bedroom is my favorite shade of butter yellow- the room feels warm like you're in the sunshine all the time. It took forever to find a shade that had cool but not green undertones.

The color is Benjamin Moore Cream Yellow, #2155-60.

If you want an off white, one shade lighter than that is Cotton Tail, #2155-70. It also goes to darker, mustard colors that are gorgeous without being garish.

The new trendy neutral color is gray. Benjamin Moore has one called Revere Pewter (don't know the number) that keeps going around Pinterest as "the perfect" color.

Also trendy is turquoise as an accent color. I've always liked cornflower blue better.

Here is a link to a blog post about the top 100 Benjamin Moore paint colors.

I highly reccomend you either choose a neutral or look through your closet and find the colors you feel you wear the most, go to the paint store & get paint chips, tape them to the walls in the rooms you like, and watch the colors for a day or two, in different lighting, to decide which are your top 2-3. Then get sample pots ($3 each), and do a swatch on the wall. Then decide.

Also, even though it's much more expensive, Benjamin Moore is worth it. And Eggshell finish is almost flat, but washable.

ETA: Here's the Benjamin Moore Color Gallery. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery#&ce_vm=0 Revere Pewter is HC-172.

Edited by Katy

Do you already have the bedding for the guest bed picked out? If not I would start with that before paint color.

I love Katy's link above to the top 100 Benamin Moore colors. We used one of their paint colors, (under the blue section) called Tranquility in our master bathroom. I love it! Very restful and peaceful.

How exciting!

What is the lighting situation in the room? Are there any large windows? One overhead light? Sconces?

Are you willing to paint the built-in?

It sounds like you have beautiful warm undertones in the cinnamon stain and the cherry furniture, I would be inclined to do a neutral with a warm undertone to complement this. I suggest neutral because the room will be used for sewing, and bright colors could be distracting while you study fabrics and work.

How exciting!

What is the lighting situation in the room? Are there any large windows? One overhead light? Sconces?

Are you willing to paint the built-in?

It sounds like you have beautiful warm undertones in the cinnamon stain and the cherry furniture, I would be inclined to do a neutral with a warm undertone to complement this. I suggest neutral because the room will be used for sewing, and bright colors could be distracting while you study fabrics and work.

I think cherry looks great with either warm or cool undertones, but YOU will be happier if you choose an undertone that you look good in; hence the check what colors you wear most often suggestion.

Do you have a Restoration Hardware in your area? If so, pick up a paint fan deck (or you can order online). It takes the zillion possible colors and narrows them down to 36 lovely colors that all blend with one another.

You can either buy paint from them, or color match it elsewhere. Colorcharts.org lets you enter a color name and brand, and it will tell you what other brands are similar.

I just now had a tough time picking out the right color of tan to be a contrasting stripe with blue-gray (Restoration Hardware Silver Sage). I got out the paint fan deck, found Restoration Hardware Latte, went to colorcharts.org and found out that Benjamin Moore Crisp Khaki was a good match, went to Home Depot and bought a little $3 sample color matched to the BM paint (they have the formula for BM paints in their computer), put it up on the walls and it is as lovely as can be!

If the floor is more of a brownish red, I'd go with a nice orange :)

Disclaimer: I don't have a single white wall in this house nor any off-white or taupe. I have 3 different greens, one red, one gold, one Caribbean blue, a yellow, a blueberry, a fire-engine red (both of these picked out by my young sons), a turquoise, a sea-foam-ish green/blue, and a French blue, and my garage is cornflower blue (to ward off the mud-daubbers). I do have white trim and wood floors.

There is one big frame-less window in the corner by the built in.

The built in needs to match the trim colors-- so it will stay white until I get rich and famous and can replace all of the baseboards/crown in the house with stained wood.

I don't look good in fall colors (olive skintone) but the floor will be cinnamon-- so it needs a warm color to wall...

I'm hoping to find something better than off-white...

My living room and the hall by the bedroom has alternating burgundy-ish red and tan walls. So I'm not afraid of strong colors!