Menu

Do I want to add a Kindle to my gadget collection....

I have an I-pad. I LOVE it

BUT

I've been having some vision issues and have not been able to read comfortably on the I-pad (especially after being in front of a computer screen all day).

My Optometrist suggested a Kindle for reading as the e-ink is supposedly better. We have Prime and I like the idea of the Kindle lending library...

I would get one of the lower models-- not sure if I want the adds...my dd has a Kindle Fire so I know I do not want that one (although she LOVES it)

Thoughts?

Reading on my I-pad is better than reading print from 'real books'... Is e-ink really better than that?

I never dreamed I'd love the Kindle, but I do. I have the $79 version and my only envy is with the Fire, I could browse the web. Otherwise, love it.

SO easy to read, and my close vision is failing; I can increase the font size to where I can read without my glasses, which is a huge plus.

Not to mention being able to use a "search" function on my books (my books are mostly reference books: gardening, etc.).

Also, if you've got amazon prime, they have a great Kindle lending library. (looking back, I see you know this already lol)

LOVE the kindle!

Edited by bbkaren

Much better. I have a tablet and a Kindle and I much prefer the Kindle for reading. It's basically like reading off paper.

Mine is the basic model and honestly, I can't think of any reason to buy a more expensive one.

I do have to say though, I think if I bought an e-reader today I would go for a Kobo or one not tied to a proprietary file type. My Kindle was free (payment for a blog post) and I love it but it has a few limitations because of that issue.

E-ink is the way to go! My close-to-50 eyes can't take a lot of reading on a back lit device, but I can read for hours and hours on my Kindle w/o any eye strain.

I have a second generation Kindle and the newer $79 non-touch Kindle with ads. I find the ads to be a total non-issue.

I love my kindle e reader. I can even read at the beach with it. I have always had a hard time with books there. I can also go on vacation with just one thin book instead of a stack. Being able to read it in the car without getting carsick is pretty amazing too. It has been a great gadget for me.

Yes. You need one. :D

Get the $79 one with the ads -- you don't even notice them, and they don't show up while you're reading. You will be amazed at how easy it is to use, and how incredibly compact and lightweight it is. I love mine for reading. It's way better than the iPad -- even the new one with the beautiful Retina display, because the Kindle doesn't have a glossy screen.

Stores like Best Buy often offer things like free gift cards with the purchase of a Kindle, so it's worth checking around before you buy.

:iagree:

I have the Fire, the original kindle with the keyboard, and the $79 one with the ads. I use the one with the ads the most for reading. It is so light and comfortable in my hand! I love my Fire, but I get distracted playing games and surfing the web, so not as much reading gets done on it, plus it does cause me some eye strain.

Yes. You need one. :D

Get the $79 one with the ads -- you don't even notice them, and they don't show up while you're reading. You will be amazed at how easy it is to use, and how incredibly compact and lightweight it is. I love mine for reading. It's way better than the iPad -- even the new one with the beautiful Retina display, because the Kindle doesn't have a glossy screen.

Stores like Best Buy often offer things like free gift cards with the purchase of a Kindle, so it's worth checking around before you buy.

I debated getting a kindle. I had the iPad. When the Kindle touch came out I ordered 5 (one for every reading member in my family and my mom). I was in love with it instantly. I read so much more than I did before (and I read a lot before). The kindle is so small I can throw it in my purse and if something happens I'm not too upset as it's only $100. I was always hesitant to take my iPad because it's $$$, and it's heavy, plus it's difficult to read outside.

I can throw it in my purse and if something happens I'm not too upset as it's only $100. I was always hesitant to take my iPad because it's $$$, and it's heavy, plus it's difficult to read outside.

An iPad is completely out of my budget, and $100 for a Kindle is a lot for me. So I'd be really upset if I lost mine.

My mom bought my boys e-ink Kindles as gifts. I bought a refurbished one for myself for $50. We all love them.