Menu

Grocery budget and DH

My dh did the grocery shopping this weekend because I was sick. He came home proud of himself because he stayed below the grocery budget.

Um, yeah. He didn't get everything on the list I need to make dinners. He didn't buy anything for breakfasts or lunch either.

Yeah, I can stay under budget too if I don't buy everything we need. :glare:

Bless his heart!

:lol:

But what chaps my hide is that he makes comments about the food bill and suggests I find ways to cut back. So he was kind of walking around with a puffed out chest as if he was able to do something I can't.

Apparently, his way off cutting the food bill is to just not eat. :tongue_smilie:

But what chaps my hide is that he makes comments about the food bill and suggests I find ways to cut back. So he was kind of walking around with a puffed out chest as if he was able to do something I can't.

Apparently, his way off cutting the food bill is to just not eat. :tongue_smilie:

Well, in that case I'd be asking- so what are we eating for breakfast, how about lunch? What is the meal plan for supper? I'd want it to sink in really good. My dh knows very well that he has no clue about menu planning or such.

:lol: When he gets hungry he will realize his mistake, that or if he has to settle for just broccoli one meal lol.

Yeah. I sent hubby to go buy one gallon of milk. That's it.

He came home with $35 worth of steak, expensive bacon, and some beer.

I had to go back to get the milk.

He wonders why I try so hard to NOT send him to the store, including going myself, even when sick. LOL

:lol::lol::lol: You should have drunk the beer while he went back for the milk.

What are some things he bought that weren't on the list?

No, he didn't do that. He didn't buy things *on* the list. He just decided we didn't really need "all that stuff" as he put it.

When I asked him what I was going to make for breakfasts, lunches, and complete dinners he said, "Oh, you'll think of something. You're good at making meals out of nothing."

I don't know if I should be flattered or annoyed.

He wonders why I try so hard to NOT send him to the store, including going myself, even when sick. LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would have sent him back to the store, but I'm mean that way. :tongue_smilie:

No, he didn't do that. He didn't buy things *on* the list. He just decided we didn't really need "all that stuff" as he put it.

When I asked him what I was going to make for breakfasts, lunches, and complete dinners he said, "Oh, you'll think of something. You're good at making meals out of nothing."

So tomorrow morning at breakfast, set an empty plate, bowl, and cup on the table and tell him to dig in.

If he asks any questions, tell him you found it easier to make nothing out of nothing.

And then send him back to the store to get the stuff on your list.

Wow, what it is with a lot of men and grocery shopping?! My dh is pretty good about it for the most part because we were on such a strict budget for about a year, but I still make a point of saying "please do not buy anything not on the list". That usually works, but if I don't tell him, he'll come home with the most random things. :001_smile:

Brenda

Take one of the ingredients that he decided you "didn't need" and make the recipe and serve it as such. So if you were planning on having tacos and he didn't get the taco shells, serve him a big pile of taco fillings. BBQ chicken without the bbq sauce...not the same. That would get the message across loud and clear I think. :D

Brenda

I'd be annoyed, and though I try not to be passive-aggressive, I'd make very small breakfasts and lunches for him (assuming you make his breakfasts and lunches). If he wants you to get by with less, he will have to eat less. I'd be sure not to skimp on the kids' food.

Then, I'd invite him to sit down and do some meal planning with me. Let him see what goes into it. If someone has never done, it is hard to see what all it entails.

Aww, my DH also gets things not on the list. In fact he often gets things I specifically say we don't need "just in case". I thank him for trying and then promise myself never to send him again...until the next time.

:iagree: Glad to know I'm not the only one. Whenever he tells me he's not coming home for lunch or will be late coming home after work so he can run to the store, I shudder. Dear God, my budget can't afford one of his "little trips" to the store. :eek::eek::eek:

Grrrr...that is so annoying, OP. My husband is generous abt groceries - but likes to buy a lot of pre-packaged crap. I prefer fresh stuff. He does abt 20% of the shopping. He says to try and keep it around $1200 per month. I am maj. couponer. We usually make tha..lolt. Y dh needsa reality check...food prices are insane and w/ the drought, abt to get worse!

I would have him make at least a couple of those meals. :glare:

This...made me LOL!

Personally, I would make all the meals possible with the ingredients he brought home and then spend the next 3 days eating out for every. single. meal. (due to no available ingredients for any further cooking and no available time for any further grocery shopping until next week) :lol:

My DH gets exactly what's on the list. Nothing extra. The problem with that is he doesn't even get something he knows we need if I forgot to write it down, even staples.

If he eats the last of the eggs or finishes the milk and I don't notice or I forget, he won't buy replacements because they're not on the list. :confused:

I hear you d H blew my budget to this month... I asked him to pick up milk and he got 45 dollars worth of groceries. Ack.

:iagree: Glad to know I'm not the only one. Whenever he tells me he's not coming home for lunch or will be late coming home after work so he can run to the store, I shudder. Dear God, my budget can't afford one of his "little trips" to the store. :eek::eek::eek:

Heck I took photos of specific things I needed for dh to have no issues finding things. Nope he brought home wrong items!

I prefer to be alone when shopping or we easily have $50 more in the cart

Sigh. This is my DH. If sent to the store on his own, he neglects to get half the list, replacing it with random shiny things he saw. If he's with me, he's as bad as the kids about trying to sneak things into the cart. And he sneaks out after I go to bed several nights a week and I wake up to find Mountain Dew, ice cream, and bakery items in the morning.

I think I would probably say to him that I planned menus around the things on the carefully planned list. If he didn't want to bother to get the things on the list, then HE could do the meal planning and cooking until I got an apology.

I would not put up with being treated so disrespectfully, no way, no how.

OTOH, I try to avoid sending DH to the store without me...

Edited by Katy