Menu

Treating a burn on a 2 year old

Hot grits spattered on my 2yo this morning. Most of the burns are little red spots, but she has one right by her eye that is a little more serious. Not serious enough to need medical attention, but we have to watch it, keep it clean, you know the drill. The problem is she won't keep a bandage on it. I cleaned it ad put the burn salve on it but she keeps pulling the gauze off. She says it hurts. It's not sticking to the burn, but anything touching it hurts her. I gave her some pain reliever. I'm just worried about it not staying clean. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My goto for burns has always been Vitamin E oil. It takes the soreness out very quickly and also helps it heal. Other than that, I would just try to make sure she doesn't touch it and keep the area very clean.

I actually have some of that! I was looking at burn salve online and it contained stuff I did not have so I used the stuff recommended by my pediatrician. The burn ointment in the first aid kit. I have Vit. E oil though!

She's not touching it. That's part of the problem with the bandage she yanks it off as soon as I get it in place. She screams any time you get near it. She was a little traumatized this morning. I was too.:glare:

Do you clean it with a clean damp cloth? That's what we used this morning.

I actually have some of that! I was looking at burn salve online and it contained stuff I did not have so I used the stuff recommended by my pediatrician. The burn ointment in the first aid kit. I have Vit. E oil though!

She's not touching it. That's part of the problem with the bandage she yanks it off as soon as I get it in place. She screams any time you get near it. She was a little traumatized this morning. I was too.:glare:

Do you clean it with a clean damp cloth? That's what we used this morning.

Do you have any betadine or betadine swabs? I would use a betadine swab or a cotton ball dipped in water mixed with a little antibacterial soap.