Menu

Phonics Pathways vs Ordinary Parent's Guide

LAmom

What are the differences between these programs? If you have used one and switched to the other, why? Or are they just too similar for it to matter? The only thing I remember hearing as different is that OPGTR is very scripted.

This is the number one difference that struck me.

Bumping for you, and hoping that someone with experience in both programs can be of further help.

Edited by Medieval Mom

I checked both out of the library, and read both cover to cover. The major differences that I saw were:

Phonics Pathways is not scripted. OPG is.

OPG has built in instructions for review. PP does not.

OPG starts slower and has more time with individual consonant sounds.

PP has more practice with blending 2 and 3 letter short vowel syllables.

PP has some games included and suggestions for making reading lessons more active/kinestetic. OPG has none of that.

PP starts blends with consonants first, like ba, be, bi, no, bu. OPG starts with vowels first like ab, eb, ib, ob, ub.

I was comfortable without scripting and liked the games, so I bought PP. I am reviewing as suggested in OPG because I thought it was brilliant. I really dislike the consonant first blending in PP. But that's the only negative for me.

I checked both out of the library, and read both cover to cover. The major differences that I saw were:

Phonics Pathways is not scripted. OPG is.

OPG has built in instructions for review. PP does not.

OPG starts slower and has more time with individual consonant sounds.

PP has more practice with blending 2 and 3 letter short vowel syllables.

PP has some games included and suggestions for making reading lessons more active/kinestetic. OPG has none of that.

PP starts blends with consonants first, like ba, be, bi, no, bu. OPG starts with vowels first like ab, eb, ib, ob, ub.

:iagree:My eldest daughter hates scripted lessons with a passion, so OPG just wouldn't work for us. We used the games in PP for review. I found that PP was easier to work through with each kid going a different pace. OPG was just monstrously slow for my middle kid. My youngest is a totally different personality and I think he might enjoy OPG. They're both great, but the above are the differences. If you use PP, someone told me once to use a blank piece of paper to cover what's not being read and that was a lifesaver tip for us. Helped with eye tracking and being overwhelmed by lots of black on the page.

I've used both- a lot!

Honestly, I like them both!

OPGR......is good for parents that want scripting....plus, the kids don't have to read quite as much each day. BUT.....my son was very overwhelmed by the fact that the teacher notes were on the same page as the part he was to read. Eventhough he knew he only had to read part of it......he would shut down when he saw so many words. (I wish they would make a student book with a separate teacher book!) Plus...the type was too small when we was younger.

PP..... My son preferred PP because it had bigger type and the teacher stuff wasn't on the page. He felt like he had to read less....when actually he was reading more! This is the book that I used when I was a private tutor.....it always worked! But...there isn't much teacher help. I didn't need that, but some people want it. You won't find it in this book.

I think that you should get both at the library (if possible) and see which one your child prefers. Both are solid programs.

All that being said......we switched to Saxon Phonics...... :)

Jennifer