Menu

Thinking about applying to Davidson program, advice please

Linzy

Recently, or really for the past year, I have been thinking about applying to the DYS program for my elder son. He turned 6 in May and is currently reading at a high school level and midway through Saxon 5/4, with all of his math operations mastered. He loves soldering, circuit building and is passionate about alternative power. He is a really talkative little boy, but really without any peers who share his interests. We live very, very rurally and he is homeschooled. He dabbles in soccer, and has some very casual friends he does not see regularly, so as far as someone to write a letter of recommendation, I'd be at a loss.

My other question would be if we were to decide to go forward with the testing, what tests would you recommend to meet the requirements for a child of that age? I'm not really familiar with any of the tests so I don't know if certain tests are more suitible for certain ages. Also, are any tests more/less expensive than others? I'm at a loss, and money is tight, but I feel like as a family we could really use the support of this program.

We used the WISC IV and the Woodcock Johnson when my kids were newly six and it worked for us.

For the recommendation letter, I used a music teacher for my older kids because they were in music lessons at the time and a summer camp counselor for my youngest. I wasn't sure the camp counselor would work, but it wasn't a problem.

Maybe the soccer coach could write the letter or your librarian?

We did the WISC through the university after getting the Explore scores.

There are a number of threads on the Davidson board about advantages and disadvantages of using students rather than someone who specializes in gifted kids. You may want to do some reading there as well.