Menu

Trying again...timeline question

praisefor3

I posted this on the General Board a few hours ago but it's obviously not "juicy" enough for that board so thought I'd see if anyone over here could relate to my dilemma. :)

I have always wanted my kids to do timelines but for some reason I have ALWAYS struggled over how I wanted this to happen and I've been stuck in the mud over a silly timeline! I have researched to death which method to try. I even bought the Homeschool in the Woods entire cd collection about 5 years ago with big intentions but then we started a large remodeling project so there went the wall idea. Anyway...FINALLY after an embarrassing amount of analysis of a timeline, I now know how I want this and am in the final stages. (I know. Don't lecture me on how something would have been better than nothing all this time because I already know that is true.)

Here is my final unimportant question. We are going to do notebook timelines with cardstock pages I am printing from guesthollow.com. Then I am putting each of the pages in sheet protectors (single sided so we can choose to lay them out linear if we want to.) All our figures will either be printed from our CD or from other sources so it doesn't matter if the papers are colored or white as far as the figures go. (In other words, we won't be coloring directly on the card stock papers.) But the color is my question. My timeline is divided into 10 time periods per Guesthollow. I can get 10 different colors of cardstock. OR would it be better to have all white sheets?

Yes, I know...this is the silliest timeline question that could be posed. But if you've been a lot more successful at creating timelines than I have and can see some of the pros and cons/benefits of what color paper works best or if it is good to divide the time periods by color...please, please give me your input so my last timeline hangup can finally be fixed and my kids can have a timeline.

Do you plan on coloring the figures or leaving them black and white?

I like the 2 color idea of a timeline...BC and AD but do see the benefit of color coding. You could use sticky dots or even punch a circle out of the colored card stock and put it in the upper corner. This way, if you do color your timeline figures it would not be too much for the eye.

How about one color for BC and another color for AD? Be sure to get common colors so that if you have to replace a page you can get the same color.

:iagree: I'm planning to do this, white for one and off-white/cream for the other. My fear with using the ten different colours would be that later I would decide I didn't like how they broke it down and I'd be stuck. You could always stick removable post-it tabs at the top of the page to label each section and make them easy to find.