Favorite Phonogram Cards

Soror

What Phonogram Cards...  

1. 1. What Phonogram Cards...

• Writing Road to Reading Cards
    • Phonics Made Plain
    • Spell, to Write and Read
    • Logic of English

So, after thinking and contemplating I want to buy some phonogram cards. However, there are so many options out there I'm trying to decide what to buy. I'm hoping to use them with HTTS. I would like them well done and with hopefully a fair amount of info on the back.

I think I'd like spelling list cards as well.

So, I'm putting up a poll.... wait for it....

Well I had the SWR cards - they were printed 4/page on cardstock, and the amount of information on the back was adequate (you won't need it long before it's memorized). I did laminate them, while I've heard the Spalding (WRTR) cards don't need to be laminated and are very nice. (But I've never used them.)

I made my own - took a bit to wrap my head around printing the fronts & backs of several different cards per page, but It worked. (It was a lot of work too - but I'd sold my SWR cards and didn't have funds to buy more, so I made do.)

What are you more interested in? The actual phonograms themselves or how sturdy the cards are?

I chose LOE because I agree with her phonograms. She has a few more than Spalding and also states that "y" says the long /e/ sound (as in navy or baby) whereas Spalding and SWR do not.

Another reason was that the shipping from Spalding was insane and it kind of turned me off. Also my MIL thought she might have some in her basement somewhere since she used to be a Spalding instructor.

I can't speak for the others, but in terms of hardiness, we've been using the LOE cards in various games for the past 3.5 weeks and so far they're holding up really well. They are not laminated but they are on heavy cardstock.

What are you more interested in? The actual phonograms themselves or how sturdy the cards are?

I chose LOE because I agree with her phonograms. She has a few more than Spalding and also states that "y" says the long /e/ sound (as in navy or baby) whereas Spalding and SWR do not.

Another reason was that the shipping from Spalding was insane and it kind of turned me off. Also my MIL thought she might have some in her basement somewhere since she used to be a Spalding instructor.

I can't speak for the others, but in terms of hardiness, we've been using the LOE cards in various games for the past 3.5 weeks and so far they're holding up really well. They are not laminated but they are on heavy cardstock.

:iagree: I wouldn't use the LOE cards for this reason. You might want to check which phonograms HTTS uses because there are slight differences with each of the programs.

I'm more interested in quality cards that have lots of info. As to slight differences from what I've read so far I'm not to concerned as I could make little changes on the individual cards. I've not read that there are substantial differences between any of them, except for a few cards.

Edited by soror

Alright, I looked up in my book to be sure but it more closely matches w/ LoE (more OG) than WRTR or such. they actually recommend official Gillingham cards which are super expensive and very plain. I'm not a big fan of the bab/i/ either and hadn't realized WRTR does it that way. Plus, I feel I might end up doing LoE at some point and they had the games that I had wanted as well. Thankfully right now I have the money to spend so I want to get what I want. I've actually made my own already but I don't use them. So, I ordered the cards and ones for the games, game book and spelling rules cards. I LOVE things organized nice and neatly, much easier for me to study and use.