Menu

Pregnancy ?: Does a lb or 2 make a difference?

First: 7 lb. 3 oz, second: 9 lb. 6 oz., third, 8 lb. 12 oz. First took longer, esp the pushing, but the other two were easier, and none, fortunately for me, were difficult. I agree that positioning makes a big difference. My SIL's first, who it turns out was face-first, took 40 hours.

My biggest baby hurt the most but then, he was in such a hurry that he exploded out while I was standing, fully clothed in the middle of the hallway on the way to the delivery room with the nurse applying counter pressure to try to slow him down so imagine that would have felt bad even if he'd been two pounds lighter .. but then again .. perhaps he wouldn't have been descending so quickly. Recovery was hardest with him also (discounting firstborn, my lightest, delivered with an epi, and a suction thing, which was just bad all around) but more so due to the shock than the fact that he tore me up.

I've only delivered one vaginally, and he was 10 14. I had a small tear and felt like myself within a couple weeks.

First babe was a 10lber, but he was a c-section and that recovery was absolutely miserable for me. I didn't even have any complications... it was just really scary to have unexpected surgery, and my abdomen hurt for a long time.

Biggest difference for me was length. My babies were all about the same size, but one was about 2 inches longer than the rest. He just slid right out :)

I'm going to take this as fact that longer babies are supposed to be easier as this babe is looking to be longer and optimism is good!

Dd was 9lb4oz and ds was 11lb 1 oz. The 9 lbs was no biggee, slid right out. 11 pounds, that's a little more traumatic. I didn't tear because I was in water, but I actually had to push (unlike 9 where you could just breathe and let it happen) and it was mentally mind-boggling. I thought I was going to die in the moment (literally), and afterwards I saw him and was HORRIFIED that something so big had come out. :D

So probably in the normal range it doesn't matter, but once you get into the 11 range, yeah you're gonna notice the difference. Recovery though was no problem. Plenty of rest and good food. I tore with neither, but water is definitely better than land.

most of my babies were in the 8 lb category, except my Dd was 9 1/2 lb. she got stuck by her shoulders, and completely tore up my cervix. The dr said that she was the biggest baby I could possibly deliver. I was on a very strict diet ( dr orders) for the last 2 months with my last baby to keep him under 9 lb.

so yes 1 lb made a huge difference for me.

most of my babies were in the 8 lb category, except my Dd was 9 1/2 lb. she got stuck by her shoulders, and completely tore up my cervix. The dr said that she was the biggest baby I could possibly deliver. I was on a very strict diet ( dr orders) for the last 2 months with my last baby to keep him under 9 lb.

so yes 1 lb made a huge difference for me.

Yup, I had *2* midwives with me at my birth of ds (11 lb 1 oz), and yes the shoulder was an issue. I don't think it actually got stuck, but she had her fingers in there doing some things I really don't care to think about. It's definitely a serious issue when you get 'em big.

I've only had two, the second was 2 pounds and 10 ounces bigger. At the very end it was slightly more painful just as he emerged. His labor was also much shorter, but I'm not sure that had anything to do with his weight.

I did not notice any difference in recovery.