Menu

Which do you prefer for hs: MFW, AO, SL, or BF? And a few other questions too.

My guys are in 8th grade this year, and am searching beforehand to have an idea of how to lead them or give them suggestions. We are CM homeschoolers.

We have used either MFW or SL most of our homeschooling years. (a little A Beka thrown in as well) This year we are using MFW 1850 to Modern. I am debating whether or not my boys will enjoy MFW hs. The lit choices look difficult, and I'm not too crazy about Notgrass.

I'd love to hear about your choices and why that particular curriculum works best for your kiddo.

I'm also confused about how to write out a transcript for SL or AO. MFW has the credits laid out for you and there's no guessing. I have always loved the looks of AO, but I can't wrap my head around the history that is scheduled for 9th grade.

This year we are using BJU Earth and Space Science, Easy Grammar, Jump In for Writing, Wordly Wise, etc. I would probably use Writing Strands for high school if we chose SL. I am considering BJU again for hs using the DVD option.

I just can't seem to figure out how to help my kiddos make a good decision about which curriculum is best for them.

In your experience, what's the best way to go about this?

Thanks! :001_smile:

Not there yet (oldest is only a 7th grader), but I am contemplating a MFW plus BJU combo of some kind for 9th grade... perhaps BJU for math and science and MFW for the rest. But then again, I like IEW and WWS and maybe BJU for Literature and Grammar.... oh, I don't know... guess that is why I always enjoy checking out what you are using (since we often choose off of the same curricula lists)! :lol::lurk5:

I will add that we have not liked BJU for history until this year. My son and I are enjoying the new American Republic (for 8th grade) w/ Mr. Swingle... but I am doing that 1/2 speed alongside of MFW's Explore to 1850's! :tongue_smilie: As you can see, I am not good at just using one Curriculum program, nor do I have anyone in hs yet... but I'm enjoying scoping out the possibilities! :D

Brenda

We just started homeschooling HS with my dd and I was introduced to Tapestry of Grace. We are two weeks into it and we are really enjoying the history and literature. I love the discussion time that is built in at the end of the week. I think that is my favorite part. I have an appointment to sit with my daughter twice and hear her thoughts and feelings about history and literature. It is opening up talking in other areas as well.

For math I went with Chalk dust because she is in Pre Cal and I never got that far in school. I love that we can email the instructor if she gets stumped. I love apologia sciences. We used one in 7th grade she really loved it so we came back to what worked for us. I love that the emphasis with lab work is to get them used to keeping a lab journal like they will need to keep in college.

I was not planning on HS her for HS and was shocked when she asked to come home a few months ago. I started praying and it seemed God put people in my path to introduce me to curriculum (chalkdust and TOG). Those choices have been very good for us. It is nice to you are thinking about it now and have plenty of time to research. My eyes have been opened to the vast options available through this forum.

Good luck to you and yours

We also use TOG. I love the that everything is integrated: history, litertaure, bible, government, philosophy, geography and art. There are also many hands on projects you may choose from if your child learns best in that manner. You can choose which areas you want to study :D. The questions the students answer each week make the student integrate what they are learning currently and information they have learned about differnty cultures previously. The teacher notes are invaluable. I finally feel like I have a curriculum that will allow me to have meaningful conversations with my ds without having to read every single book (I DO read MOST litertaure, but I have not read any history because the teacher notes are so thorough). TOG is challenging, but has been an ideal fit for our family.

We also use TOG. I love the that everything is integrated: history, litertaure, bible, government, philosophy, geography and art. There are also many hands on projects you may choose from if your child learns best in that manner. You can choose which areas you want to study :D. The questions the students answer each week make the student integrate what they are learning currently and information they have learned about differnty cultures previously. The teacher notes are invaluable. I finally feel like I have a curriculum that will allow me to have meaningful conversations with my ds without having to read every single book (I DO read MOST litertaure, but I have not read any history because the teacher notes are so thorough). TOG is challenging, but has been an ideal fit for our family.

I notice in your siggy that you are using BJU American History for your 11 dc? That's interesting... then you're switching to TOG for hs?

I tried TOG during upper grammar level and didn't like it (for me). It was just too many cluttered words on a page that I was supposed to ignore but which actually cluttered my brain. Each week there are different colors for different levels... I would definitely recommend anyone considering TOG to get the 3-week sample and see how they like it, first.

My guys are in 8th grade this year, and am searching beforehand to have an idea of how to lead them or give them suggestions. We are CM homeschoolers.

We have used either MFW or SL most of our homeschooling years. (a little A Beka thrown in as well) This year we are using MFW 1850 to Modern. I am debating whether or not my boys will enjoy MFW hs. The lit choices look difficult, and I'm not too crazy about Notgrass.

Are they enjoying MFW this year? If so, what do they like or not like about it?

I'd love to hear about your choices and why that particular curriculum works best for your kiddo.

I'm eclectic too. I've just never found a boxed program that fit our need enough to use. Tweaking too much eventually reaches a point where it is easier to do my own thing from the start.

I'm also confused about how to write out a transcript for SL or AO. MFW has the credits laid out for you and there's no guessing. I have always loved the looks of AO, but I can't wrap my head around the history that is scheduled for 9th grade.

It's easy to make a transcript. I can help you if you would like. Personally, I don't like SL for high school. It's not as well put together as the younger levels, IMHO. I like the booklist, and own most of it, from AO better than SL and MFW.

I am considering BJU again for hs using the DVD option.

Is that bc you feel you need it, they need it, or ?

What do you need to educate effectively and get the job done? Does it need to be all or nothing? What is working? What is not?

If it's working and you/they are getting it done - why change that?

If it isn't working or getting done - why? And what do you need to change to correct that?

It's working really well here so far too! I love having it all laid out for me. I don't mind tweaking if I need to here and there (though honestly, I haven't much yet). My daughter likes having a schedule to follow and I do check in with her now and then to see what she's doing (way more often than once a week, as the schedule suggests). We're only a few weeks in, but I'm really glad I chose this for her first year of high school.

We are really enjoying MFW Ancient History. The materials and books are really nice and there's plenty of work, definitely a full curriculum. I can't speak for he others, but My Father's World has been great for us so far.

We are also doing MFW AHL, with their suggested Apologia Biology, CLE algebra, and I will be adding a few electives shortly.

It's going really well. My ds is good about independent work, likes having his student manual to see what he needs to do and go to it w/out asking or waiting for me. He does feel the Notgrass is redundant alongside Answers in Genesis, but he's only a week and a half in, so not fair to judge quite yet.

TOG has always looked appealing to me, but I really need it to be laid out the way MFW has it. I just know I wouldn't do TOG justice.

I notice in your siggy that you are using BJU American History for your 11 dc? That's interesting... then you're switching to TOG for hs?

Yes, that is what we will be doing. I really do not care all that much for TOG for the lower levels. My dd will be spending two years on American history (we use BJU as the spine, but add in MANY other books and primary sources). I also wanted her to have a strong foundation of American history before high school (something I wish I had done with ds. We did integrated world history, but I do not feel like he has a great foundation of American history).

Are they enjoying MFW this year? If so, what do they like or not like about it?

For the most part they enjoy MFW. I don't know of anything that they don't enjoy about it. The hs program though is set up differently and Notgrass just isn't appealing to me. I don't think it will be to them either.

I'm eclectic too. I've just never found a boxed program that fit our need enough to use. Tweaking too much eventually reaches a point where it is easier to do my own thing from the start.

I have usually gone with some kind of scripted program because I don't like to plan. I'm especially nervous (for some reason) about hs though. I like many things about MFW, SL, etc. I just don't always like their history spine choices.

It's easy to make a transcript. I can help you if you would like. Personally, I don't like SL for high school. It's not as well put together as the younger levels, IMHO. I like the booklist, and own most of it, from AO better than SL and MFW.

Thanks! I'd love that. :001_smile: I'd love to hear more about SL hs cores from you...

Is that bc you feel you need it, they need it, or ?

What do you need to educate effectively and get the job done? Does it need to be all or nothing? What is working? What is not?

If it's working and you/they are getting it done - why change that?

If it isn't working or getting done - why? And what do you need to change to correct that?

I love the CM approach. I also really love the looks of AO, I am not sure how to substitute their history choices for year 9.

I love that MFW has art and music study incorporated into the younger years, but they don't do that for high school. :confused: HS looks totally different to me.

I want to stay with a CM for high school as well. I am working on figuring out how to label our courses then on a transcript.

I'm still sipping coffee...does any of this make sense to you?

TOG isn't on my list. Should it be? Is there lots of planning on my part?

Not sure if it should be on your list, but yes, there is lots of time locating books, reading teacher notes, getting your bearings. TOG warns new users of "the 9 week fog." Personally, it was about 12 weeks :glare: You will need to determine the levels for your students, perhaps beginning at dialectic until you all get your head around it, then moving up to rhetoric. Unless you purchase them all new which is expensive. (Of course, I've spent lots of time this summer looking for books and we're not using TOG this year :001_smile:)

I spent a few hours on the weekend preparing for the week ahead and checking up on my kids' progress.

We were in a TOG co-op for the first 2 years of TOG, but not for the last one. We spent two hours or so in discussion time once a week for history and lit.

JMHO,

Teresa

I love that MFW has art and music study incorporated into the younger years, but they don't do that for high school. :confused: HS looks totally different to me.

I agree MFW is different at high school than in younger years. However.... the fine arts credit is part of the WHL program. The difference? student gets the active role in how to incorporate arts/music in study instead of being told "listen to this, listen to that"... Many of the same things from younger years can be used again, or student can now do other things in that credit.

We subbed out the "build your own" style. I knew it wouldn't work in my house. Instead, during first semester of WHL, we used Artistic Pursuits (did 2 lessons a week instead of all 4 lessons in the book). Then second semester did Carol Reynolds' Discover Music program. Fit great for us.

this year in US1 and finishing in US2, my oldest will use Carol Reynold's American Music dvd.. not enough for "full credit", but just perfect for that enrichment feel.

I figured we had done art history in younger years and didn't need to repeat it as it wasn't an interest of my child, and not a requirement of me.

-crystal

I agree MFW is different at high school than in younger years. However.... the fine arts credit is part of the WHL program. The difference? student gets the active role in how to incorporate arts/music in study instead of being told "listen to this, listen to that"... Many of the same things from younger years can be used again, or student can now do other things in that credit.

We subbed out the "build your own" style. I knew it wouldn't work in my house. Instead, during first semester of WHL, we used Artistic Pursuits (did 2 lessons a week instead of all 4 lessons in the book). Then second semester did Carol Reynolds' Discover Music program. Fit great for us.

this year in US1 and finishing in US2, my oldest will use Carol Reynold's American Music dvd.. not enough for "full credit", but just perfect for that enrichment feel.

I figured we had done art history in younger years and didn't need to repeat it as it wasn't an interest of my child, and not a requirement of me.

-crystal

ps... sorry, but my post coffee brain isn't turned on either. ;) (actually I have a mild headache and should take something for that...)

my oldest reminded me that some art/music history is reviewed in the history books in ahl/whl, and also with the timeline pieces here and there. For her, it wasn't about a full credit in each subject on art/music, but just a reminder of what was studied in previous mfw years to make connections.

so.. it's there.. but not a full credit each year in each highschool program.

-crystal

I would ask yourself how well your dc work independently with a lot of book reading and doing assignments on their own. This is what concerns me about my oldest doing MFW for high school. He tends to 'skim read' and I know he at least absorbs a lot of the BJU DVD portions because he is such a strong audio learner. OTOH, he is still a poor follower of written instructions (which is a big goal of mine for him this year, but we'll see).

I would ask yourself how well your dc work independently with a lot of book reading and doing assignments on their own. This is what concerns me about my oldest doing MFW for high school. He tends to 'skim read' and I know he at least absorbs a lot of the BJU DVD portions because he is such a strong audio learner. OTOH, he is still a poor follower of written instructions (which is a big goal of mine for him this year, but we'll see).

My boys do many things on their own, but I am not sure I want to be quite that hands off for hs. Decisions, decisions....

Do you have twins? :001_smile: I just noticed that both your boys are in 8th grade (I think), which should make it more interesting, whatever you choose. You should be able to still have some great discussions and all be on the same 'theme'. I still have to get over the additional hump with MFW that I would only have one dc doing Ancients while the other was likely doing something else. BJU DVD's would also work out well for you since you don't need to buy separate grades (I usually lease them for an additional year for my dd, which works out okay for us, but not as well as in your case)!

• 1 year later...

I'm also drawn to MFW for high school.  We're using the 1850-Modern program this year and I like it...but I don't LOVE it.  It's a lot of books to shuffle for one thing and sometimes I feel it's disconnected.  We're on Week 19 right now and I'm not enjoying the book we're reading for Bible or the read aloud.  The selections for both of those are long, too. I know that whatever I choose I'm going to have to "let it go" so to speak and allow him to be more independent bc I'll still be teaching my younger 3.  And although he loves to read, he doesn't love lit analysis and discussion or writing.  His interest is on science and computers.  I don't want to burden him with things he hates and take away from what he really wants to do, though I realize we must cover this subjects enough that he's proficient.  I'm starting to wonder if I should get him a history textbook and call it done.  We have Notgrass America the Beautiful for Middle School and I have him reading through it right now as we're doing MFW and he hasn't complained about it.

Mine do different tracks.  Thankfully circumstances allow this, so YMMV.  We did Classical Conversations for middle school, and ended up doing a mixture for high school because I wasn't getting the academic focus and classes I wanted.

My academic, professor-type does Omnibus classes online.  He likes Great Books and deep discussions from home.

My other one does a class with a friend that is a mix of Sonlight, Beautiful Feet, and AO books.  The draw there is lapbooking, art, and the books.  They do a mix of heavier and lighter books, a book every one or two weeks.  The carpool and face-to-face class is a biggie too.

TOG wasn't a go for me, and mine like having history/lit in a class.  Homeschooling teens is interesting!

Another vote for TOG (Tapestry of Grace) here!  DD is in 5th, and we just started using it this year. It's been wonderful and now I will not have to be constantly switching curriculum.  We've found what works....finally.

We have not had any of the fog that others have talked about; maybe because I just have one at home. I just print and highlight what we want to do from the UG (Upper Grammar) section and go.  Everything seems very straight forward and clear to me.  We are using their history, church history, geography, literature, arts/activities and some of the writing (I switch off between their Writing Aids program and doing outlines, narrations, and poetry).

I've also been perusing the program for high school.  I really like what I see and am excited about continuing with TOG into those years.  I'm particularly impressed with their Socratic discussions and the fact that they incorporate many of the great books referenced by colleges as preferred reading. 

For me, TOG looks more doable and enjoyable than Omnibus (which I had also been looking at for the future), yet just as rigorous.  I think TOG focuses more on the integration of worldviews & history with literature and the consequences of that history. Omnibus seems to focus more on literary analysis without as much history.  I believe both apply critical thinking skills. Both are great programs. It all depends on what you and your student want to focus on.

Look, Tapestry is great. I'm a fan.  HOWEVER, seeing in a previous post that you don't want to plan, I'd suggest treading lightly around Tapestry of Grace.  People compare Tapestry to Sonlight and to MFW all the time and I guess I get it - they're all lit based, but that's about as far as it goes.

Tapestry is, IMO, as it was MEANT TO BE, Mom intensive.  It requires you reading your part and being ready to discuss.  The "buffet" style of it requires that you peruse through the buffet and pick out what you're putting on their plate.

Now, if that's what you WANT to do, awesome! If it's not, please reconsider TOG.

MFW - My daughter is not a fan of Notgrass either.  That said, she isn't going to be a History major.  So, she used MFW last year.  This year, I was trying to figure out what to do for Christian's freshman year and I've found my way back to MFW.  Again, not *loving* Notgrass, but on the other hand it's sure getting done consistently.  I'm tossing in History of the Ancient World as well.  We're not trying to perfectly match everything up.  Such is life.

I'd say consider adding in something for them to read at the "chapter a day" level and if it coincides ocasionally, awesome.  And if it doesn't, consider it an introduction or a reinforcement.  Look at America, A Narrative History by Tindall. :)  Then fold it in with MFW.  If the rest of MFW works for you, I would not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

I'm not terribly fond of SL.  
I love TOG but it requires effort.

I have not used BF since elementary so I have no input there.
I tried to do Ambleside but it required organization and thinking.  I was plumb out of that at the time.

The longer I homeschool the less ME organizing and planning is attractive to me.  Now I'm more into the consistent application. ;)  (And MFW enables that for me.)