Menu

Beware of kids taking returned books out of the library drop box

... before the librarians have had a chance to scan them back in.

One of our libraries has a return drop box which isn't terribly secure, and it just sort of sits there by the front door. Every 20 min or so a librarian will empty the whole bin.

This gives kids a chance to go mining for popular books which have not been checked in yet.

I noticed this happening with some popular kids' titles I'd just returned. I saw a little boy with half his body inside the return box gleefully yelling that someone had just returned the green Wimpy Kid book and that it was gonna be his! Guess who that someone would be! :toetap05: I think I figured out why I had to ask for special forgiveness for books that were "claimed as returned" by me in the past several months.

Edited by mirth

We've had a couple of times when we thought we'd taken a book back, the library system said we still had it, and I later found it on the shelf. I'd assumed that the staff had accidentally reshelved them without scanning them in, but it could have been someone else grabbing them.

We've had a couple of times when we thought we'd taken a book back, the library system said we still had it, and I later found it on the shelf. I'd assumed that the staff had accidentally reshelved them without scanning them in, but it could have been someone else grabbing them.

:iagree: This has happened to me before as well. I don't know the reason why my book wasn't scanned and then got reshelved, but I knew I'd returned it, I went to check the shelf, and there it was.

Know what I was thinking after the whole incident?

[1] This is probably something that has been happening since before the library at Alexandria days. (Yeesssssss! Someone just returned the Adventures of Gilgamesh scroll and it's gonna be minnnnnne!")

[2] In the days of apps and smartphones, I am still dealing with this ancient problem. (Love the scanning chute idea!)

[3] At least some kids can still identify the book drop.