Menu

Just scheduled my hysterectomy for Oct. 15th, have a few ?

I just got into see a GYN today since we moved and spent an hour with her. I really like her and she totally understands how frustrated I am. She is more of a "get down to business" gyn and said that after all I have tried there's no sense in putting me through more. I had a failed ablation 2 years ago, can't take bc pills, still having cycles 2 times a month with spotting inbetween, lots of pain, and haven't been able to have s@x in years without pain and bleeding. Essentially, since we are not having anymore kids having a hysterectomy is my desire and much needed.

Right now I am scheduled to have a total vaginal hysterectomy on October 15 and should only have to stay in the hospital one night. What can I expect for recovery time? Will I be restricted on activities and how much I can lift? How about driving? I am really anxious to get this done. I almost can't believe that it's finally going to happen. She plans on leaving both of my ovaries in unless she sees a problem. If she can't do it vaginally, she will do it laproscopically and if there are problems it will be the old fashioned way.

I am almost giddy about this because I have suffered long enough with this.

I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago when I was 32. I had been in pain for several years, had andomiosis (endomitriosis confined to the uterus), a stage 3 prolapsed uterus, and multiple ovarian cysts. Because of my age, the doctor chose to leave my ovaries and take out everything else. I still have cysts but they are nothing compared to the pain before.

For my surgery, they did an incision in my belly button to place a camera in for viewing. The surgery itself was done vaginally. I had one night in the hospital and came home the following day. The worst part for me was the 2 hour drive home. You will be sore and you will feel every bump in the road. Bring a donut pillow to sit on or plan to lie down on the drive. I had to wait 1 week to drive and had lifting restrictions for 2 weeks. The recovery is treated kind of like giving birth. You will probably have a check up at 6 weeks to make sure everything is good and to be cleared for all activity. Plan on being a little sore for a week or so and try to limit stairs for the first couple of days.

If you are anything like me, after being in pain for so long, you will feel like you can do anything. I was on painkillers for 3 months leading up to my surgery but only needed them for 2 days after my surgery. Take it easy and follow instructions and all should go well.

Please feel free to answer any questions you may have regarding surgery, recovery, aftermath, before hand, whatever. I am very open about the surgeries I have had and hate to think that women go through this without having anyone to answer their questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all who are speaking on line about the subject.

I am booked for Jan to have prolapse uterus removal surgery. "Its hell having this condition". I finally got the nerve up to do it. If anyone else has comments will love to know your's especially, if you have had surgery a years ago and your thoughts now about it.

I recovered quickly and I had a full abdominal (with scar). Just feeling better propelled me forward every day. :001_smile:

If your ovaries are being left in place you will not have instant menopause, however, if they are taken, don't panic. There are a lot of good supps out there to help with the transition.

I would say don't plan anything other than getting out of bed and lounging for about 2-3 days postoperative. Your doc will tell when driving is okay. I don't recall that it was a huge problem for me. Do NOT lift anything heavier than a cup of coffee until your doc tells you it's okay.

I would eat as healthy as possible before the surgery. The better shape you are in before, the faster you may recover.

Edited by Liz CA

If you are anything like me, after being in pain for so long, you will feel like you can do anything. I was on painkillers for 3 months leading up to my surgery but only needed them for 2 days after my surgery. Take it easy and follow instructions and all should go well.

Yes, I forgot this! Bring a nice, fluffy pillow for the ride home. It helps to hug it tight to your belly. :)

I have been on narcotic pain killers for over 3 years now for this and my back. I haven't heard anything about limits on lifting because mine will probably be done vag*nally unless she finds something unexpected. I will know for sure next in 2 weeks at my post-op. Right now she is leaving my ovaries, at least one of them, unless there are signs of something suspicious.

I have had so many surgeries and such to correct this for almost 10yrs that I am just finally at peace that I am finally going to have some relief.

Thank you to all who are speaking on line about the subject.

I am booked for Jan to have prolapse uterus removal surgery. "Its hell having this condition". I finally got the nerve up to do it. If anyone else has comments will love to know your's especially, if you have had surgery a years ago and your thoughts now about it.

Oh my gosh! I am seriously considering a hysterectomy for a prolapsed uterus too. I also have a stage 2 bladder prolapse that the doctor needs to fix.

What stage is your uterine prolapse?

There is a chance that I am currently pregnant though (I will test tomorrow), so the surgery might have to be put on hold (I really hope not).

I just want the prolapse problems to GO AWAY. I am tired of not being able to be very active. I can't stand for more than a few minutes usually before I need to "fix" my issue or sit down (if it's really bad).

If you'd like to pm me, please feel free. It's nice to talk with someone else going through the same thing. I don't know anyone irl with this issue.

Mama, I had what you had, but mine was what registers in that world as a "complete" stage.

I also had bladder prolapse.

When it dawned on me what this really meant - there is no way on Gods Green earth I could have lived a normal life without correction.

I did have to wait about 5 weeks in that condition to heal enough for surgery; most miserable thing ever in this whole wide world. I felt like a Ballerina straight out of surgery.

• 4 weeks later...

I have endometriosis and was debilitated 3 of 4 weeks last year. Mine is in my intestines, uterus, bladder, etc.

I asked for a hysterctomy but was denied.

I begged for surgery to diagnose and remove endo. which went well.

Still, I don't know how much good and won't until FLO comes back.

Nursing this precious baby is helping for awhile.

It is scary to imagine having the pain return and I think I need a new Dr.

I will be checking back to see if you are pregnant or if surgery went well!

Well, I am finally home. Things did not go as planned. I had lost a lot of blood and had terrible pain afterward. My red blood cell count continued to drop and I could not even sit up in bed. I ended up having two blood transfusions and staying two extra days. I am slowly gaining strength but still have pain and cannot do much. I have lost 7 lbs cuz everything makes me sick and I started running a lowgrade fever. Doctor told me it would take me a good two weeks of complete rest to feel better. Easier said than done when there is so much to do. I had my cervix, uterus, and fallopian tubes removed. My ovaries stayed but I am sure they are not working yet due to the shock.

I cannot say yet if I am glad I had it done because of all the complications. I am hoping to see a light at the end of this tunnel within next week.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Rest up. I took care of my mother after. It can take a while. Just be gentle with yourself

Well, I am finally home. Things did not go as planned. I had lost a lot of blood and had terrible pain afterward. My red blood cell count continued to drop and I could not even sit up in bed. I ended up having two blood transfusions and staying two extra days. I am slowly gaining strength but still have pain and cannot do much. I have lost 7 lbs cuz everything makes me sick and I started running a lowgrade fever. Doctor told me it would take me a good two weeks of complete rest to feel better. Easier said than done when there is so much to do. I had my cervix, uterus, and fallopian tubes removed. My ovaries stayed but I am sure they are not working yet due to the shock.

I cannot say yet if I am glad I had it done because of all the complications. I am hoping to see a light at the end of this tunnel within next week.