Menu

Reasons to take the PSAT or SAT?

I'm sure it has been discussed, but would some one please remind me the reasons to take these? It seemed like the ACT scores were more preferred for college entrance than the SATs anyway?

Also, another thought...if my son is doing concurrent enrollment with a community college and is planning on just continuing at a public university would it even matter if he took the ACT/SAT?

Edited by jadedone80

Students take PSAT to qualify for National Merit Scholar.

Some students do better with the SAT than with the ACT; it is worth taking both to see which test fits better for your student.

I have not seen indication that "the ACT scores are preferred"; the college websites I have looked at ask for either ACT or SAT scores. I have not found one that does not take SAT and only ACT. What i ahve seen are regional differences in the precentages of students who took a particular test; the ACT seems to be more popular in mid-country, the SAT on the coasts.

Both the ACT and the SAT are equally accepted by colleges so your student's best bet is to take samples of both at home and find out which one they score higher on. About a third of students do better on the SAT, a third do better on the ACT and a third score about the same.

In addition to the possibility of qualifying for National Merit, many students also find the PSAT a good choice as an inexpensive and low risk way to get test practice. Particularly for homeschoolers who may not have practice taking tests in a school setting this can be a huge help.

There is one other very narrow circumstance where the ACT may be preferable. To demonstrate subject mastery some colleges require SAT subject tests or the ACT. This isn't really a lot of schools though and some of them still require SAT subject tests from homeschoolers even if they don't for other students.

Also, another thought...if my son is doing concurrent enrollment with a community college and is planning on just continuing at a public university would it even matter if he took the ACT/SAT?

For your situation, check with the public U he hopes to go to and ask them. You might not need either test and if your plan is set in concrete, there is no need to take the tests if they don't want it.

For anyone else (different plans) taking the PSAT or PLAN is great inexpensive test practice and the PSAT comes with some scholarship potentials for the tippy top in stats kids from each state (what score you need depends upon your state).

Either test (ACT or SAT) is accepted by any college I know of, but some do have a slight preference for the ACT if it comes to subject tests (as mentioned before). I had oldest do both - he did better on the ACT. Middle did just the PSAT and ACT (missed the scholarship $$ from the PSAT by a hair, so stuck with the ACT). Youngest will do whichever he is better at. I signed him up for the Oct PSAT and ACT and we'll see how he scores and what he feels his preference is. There's no chance he'll be a scholarship candidate, but the practice is worth the $15 IMO.

Okay, thanks a bunch! Right now I'm just so tired of trying to find a local high school that will let my son take the PSAT this October. The receptionist either don't even know what the PSAT is or they keep telling me to call back next week, then the next week they call me to say call back next week...for a month now.

Okay, thanks a bunch! Right now I'm just so tired of trying to find a local high school that will let my son take the PSAT this October. The receptionist either don't even know what the PSAT is or they keep telling me to call back next week, then the next week they call me to say call back next week...for a month now.

Call the guidance counselor instead of the receptionist/secretary. Number should be on your school's website.

Our school does not start registrations fro the PSAT until October 1st; they have been very friendly, but asked me to call back then.

Call the guidance counselor instead of the receptionist/secretary. Number should be on your school's website.

Our school does not start registrations fro the PSAT until October 1st; they have been very friendly, but asked me to call back then.

:iagree:

And schools do vary with their policies on this. The school where I work is accepting reservations for the PSAT from now (Sept 4th) until Sept 30th only, so do make sure you check with the guidance counselor to see what their policies are.

Our receptionist would have transferred you to guidance, but they are terrific with their jobs and know a lot about what is going on. That may not be the same everywhere.

The good news is you can sign up online for the ACT and SAT... You can't for AP tests though (if you end up doing any of those).

Even with completing an AA as a DE student, my dd applied as a freshman. She needed the full package of docs including an ACT/SAT score. As long as the credits were accumulated under DE, the U still treats them as a freshman although all the credits will transfer w/in the state system so they'll officially not be a freshman for long. ;)