Menu

ahhhh - I can't stand it!!!!

when mother's send off "I love this time of year when the kids go back to school because I can do what I want" e-mails . .. . ahhhh. seriously. why'd you have kids? :svengo:

(I know mom's with kids in public school who didn't see homeschool as an option, but loved having their kids with them and hated sending them.)

What bugs me is that I get a little twinge of jealousy when I hear people say that! I'd love to have a good chunk of time to myself and fit in things like dealing with some of the jobs around the house that are behind, get some good cleaning done, even go swim laps at the pool.

I know I'd miss them a lot after I got a little while to myself though!

Oh, I don't judge them. I totally get it. I love being a mom. I love homeschooling. I love being with my kids. But a break after being on full time mom status for awhile is much appreciated.

Mine both went to a day camp this year for the same week. It was the 1st time I had ever had them both away and the days to myself for a few days at a time. It was awesome. I was able to get so much done around the house by myself that I had been putting off. Big projects like painting a room and decluttering and such takes a long time when you are parenting and feeding them all day too. So I was really excited to have that time to myself. Another time this summer they went to the lake with my sis for a couple of days. Dh and I had a few days together at a hotel for a convention w/his work. It was heavenly.

So I don't judge them at all. They are feeling that freedom to get things done. It doesn't mean they don't want to be around their kids.

I know I'd miss them a lot after I got a little while to myself though!
It takes me about 15 minutes before I'm ready to be with my dc again. I'm very thankful for that considering there was a time I didn't want to be a mom and welcomed any time away from my first baby. :(

It doesn't mean they don't want to be around their kids.
"I live for this time of year! I hate summer and having to be with the kids all day! I pack in as many activities as I can just to keep them busy and not bothering me. I can't stand being with them that much."

Openly declared by a woman I know in front of her kids. I heard very similar things growing up which confused me because how could these moms be so happy that school was starting when my own mom cried?

Some moms really do not want to be with/around their dc.

Edited by LuvnMySvn

LOL I've tried to explain to hubby how I feel...

You know at the zoo there's a monkey in a cage? It's been caged up it's whole life. So when the zookeeper opens the gate and says to go free, the monkey just stands there with a confused look on it's face.

Well, the few rare times I get out BY MYSELF, I feel like that monkey. What the heck would I do without kids surrounding me 24/7?

LOL

I have had years when I have sent my kids off to school and years when they were both home with me.

I did not love, appreciate or value my children any more or less in either situation.

I do not need to be with my children 24/7 to feel like I am a good loving mommy.

I love to have my children around, but I also love to hear the stories about school, friends, teachers and experiences that they have had without me being 5ft away.

Why did I have kids?.......I had kids because I wanted kids. Just like almost every other person in the world. It is the most selfish thing we all do as humans. We create life to further life.

"I live for this time of year! I hate summer and having to be with the kids all day! I pack in as many activities as I can just to keep them busy and not bothering me. I can't stand being with them that much."

Openly declared by a woman I know in front of her kids. I heard very similar things growing up which confused me because how could these moms be so happy that school was starting when my own mom cried?

Some moms really do not want to be with/around their dc.

I like getting away from my kids from time to time too but I don't articulate it that way. "I need to get out with my friends tonight" rather than "I need to get away from you."

I can't help but think that kids must feel a little odd seeing their moms celebrating with champagne mimosas at the bus stop (as some neighbors have done) as they (kids) get on the bus. Or hearing what's quoted above. I wonder if kids who hear that over and over again grow up to be kids who are disconnected from their parents. Pure speculation on my part.

I have had years when I have sent my kids off to school and years when they were both home with me.

I did not love, appreciate or value my children any more or less in either situation.

I do not need to be with my children 24/7 to feel like I am a good loving mommy.

I love to have my children around, but I also love to hear the stories about school, friends, teachers and experiences that they have had without me being 5ft away.

Why did I have kids?.......I had kids because I wanted kids. Just like almost every other person in the world. It is the most selfish thing we all do as humans. We create life to further life.

^^ THIS.

As a mom who homeschooled from birth through 1st grade and now has a kid in 2nd in public school and a 4-year-old at home... I breathe a sigh of relief when I send my 7-year-old off. It gives me a break from the constant fighting. It gives me a break from my son's extreme neediness. It gives me time to find MYSELF again.

I love my son very much. I treasure my time with him, and yeah, sometimes I miss him and wish school wasn't quite so long (though he wishes it was longer). I don't think that having our own separate lives means anything bad. We've spent a lot of time connecting and we remain very connected when he's home.

But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the "break."

And honestly, these sorts of discussions are just another piece of ammunition in the "mommy wars." They made it really hard for me to make what I think was the right decision for my family to send my kid to school. Because I constantly second-guessed my motivations, and mothering abilities. But you know what? It's ok that I needed help. It's ok that I needed a break. It's ok to be imperfect and it's ok to have lives that diverge for 6 hours a day.

Well - to put it in another perspective.....

I don't understand women who don't like their husbands around all the time. They complain about homeschooling when they are home; some military wives can't wait for the next time their Dh is away. They obviously love their husbands, but enjoy time apart as well. I suppose that because my DH is hardly ever home, I can't relate.

This can certainly be applied to kids. I also think it is healthy that the older kids get, the more independent they become and the more time away from mom they spend.

I enjoy when my kids are off somewhere for a while, I miss them, but I get a lot done, and we all come back together refreshed with stories to share.

If we didn't homeschool, I'd be fighting ds to get up and be ready for the bus at 6:50 am every morning. Then I'd be heading out for work myself.

I stayed home while ds was in prek and K for private school. Getting him ready was a nightmare I never want to relive, we are not morning people. So all those happy mommies can have their moment. I'm sleeping in until after the bus goes by every morning and darn proud of it. :lol:

[Meant to add the "I agree" smilie here.]

Why did I have kids? Hmm . . . why did YOU have kids?

Obviously you appreciate them and all, but what is so superior about your motives compared to whatever mine might be?

(Why did I have kids? Not for the entertainment value, but because I felt called to nurture. In my view, part of nurturing is preparing them to go and do things without me, and providing opportunities for that to happen.)

I used to prefer it when my mom was not home when I came home from school (she worked 4 days per week). I liked my independence, and I assume that's how many well-adjusted kids feel. I don't know that it's wise to assume all kids would be happier being homeschooled - even if their moms would prefer that.

This time of year is hard in the karate lobby. All the parents are talking about back to school stuff from teachers, school policy, clothes, carpooling, schedules, and yes, how much they love their kids being gone.

I simply can't participate in the conversation.

There are parents who do not like being with their kids and/or have no idea what to do with them.

There are parents who do enjoy being with their kids but enjoy the free time to get things done.

I'm a bit jealous of the latter. However, not jealous enough to change my lifestyle. :001_smile:

Another thing to remember is that people who don't homeschool may not have a home structure that is conducive to year-round togetherness. When I was a kid in summer, we did whatever we wanted from morning to night (assuming it was legal). Of course, in those days, kids went outside and ran off with the neighbors, usually out of their parents' earshot, so they weren't underfoot all day. Now there is a lot less freedom for kids to run off during the summer, and they don't have structured home activities other than eating and sleeping, so they get on each other's nerves in close quarters all day. It totally makes sense to be happy for a break from that.

If you're a homeschooler you have developed a structure wherein you can channel the kids' energies into more productive pursuits, at least for the part of the day when they're cooped up at home. So you're comparing apples to oranges IMO.

Oh, I don't judge them. I totally get it. I love being a mom. I love homeschooling. I love being with my kids. But a break after being on full time mom status for awhile is much appreciated.

Mine both went to a day camp this year for the same week. It was the 1st time I had ever had them both away and the days to myself for a few days at a time. It was awesome. I was able to get so much done around the house by myself that I had been putting off. Big projects like painting a room and decluttering and such takes a long time when you are parenting and feeding them all day too. So I was really excited to have that time to myself. Another time this summer they went to the lake with my sis for a couple of days. Dh and I had a few days together at a hotel for a convention w/his work. It was heavenly.

So I don't judge them at all. They are feeling that freedom to get things done. It doesn't mean they don't want to be around their kids.

For the most part, :iagree:

There's something lovely about returning to life with a regular rhythm. Summer tends to be loosey-goosey for our family, and while this can be fun, it gets tedious in a different sort of way.

That is why I love our enrichment program here--- one day a week!!!

When I get asked the socialization question--- *answer* they go and make friends at PS one day a week.

I get a day off, they make friends---the best of both worlds

So true!

When the kids were all little and I vented to my dh that I needed a break, he would just encourage me to take it, and take a whole day, but then he would smile knowingly and say, "You'll be back in under 3 hours..."! I always was.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I have lots of hobbies and I would have lots more fun if my kids went to school all day.

Honestly, sometimes I think I'd be a better wife and Mom if I wasn't also the teacher.

I don't get getting so excited to have them gone but then again, I don't get offended by it either. Sometimes breaks are good. I live away from my family and it is nice because it makes our times together that much sweeter and more memorable. I kind of think having my kids in PS this year will be much more like that...at least I've found it to be the case thus far. In some ways, I think that kids who have moms who are SO eager to send them off to school because they dont' like being with them are better off at school where they get a break from someone who doesn't want them around and hopefully find one or two good teachers to invest in their lives.

Another thing to remember is that people who don't homeschool may not have a home structure that is conducive to year-round togetherness. When I was a kid in summer, we did whatever we wanted from morning to night (assuming it was legal). Of course, in those days, kids went outside and ran off with the neighbors, usually out of their parents' earshot, so they weren't underfoot all day. Now there is a lot less freedom for kids to run off during the summer, and they don't have structured home activities other than eating and sleeping, so they get on each other's nerves in close quarters all day. It totally makes sense to be happy for a break from that.

If you're a homeschooler you have developed a structure wherein you can channel the kids' energies into more productive pursuits, at least for the part of the day when they're cooped up at home. So you're comparing apples to oranges IMO.

I believe this is it. Strongly. My friends who don't homeschool only see their kids when they're "boooored" and picking on each other to have something to do. My kids get that way, too, when we're not actively homeschooling.

But when we have structure in our day (doing our schoolwork) things are much nicer. If I was only around the kids when they were picking at each other all day long and being "booooored" I'd want them to go to school, too.

to me, it's not the need to have a break from kids - we all need that. it's the public (on FACEBOOK) statement of "I love having my kids in school so I can do what I want". (she was offering plants - instead of just "I have some __, if anyone would like some" she prefaced it with "I love having my kids in school, now I can work outside blah blah blah." (and that's pertinent how?)

If she'll say it in public (and she's said it in groups of people), she'll say it in front of her kids. I consider that a negative message to be sending to one's children, and it really bother's me. to me children should have the message they are cherished by their parents. (that doesn't mean they need to be with us 24/7). it's an attitude. that is NOT the same to me as "I'm having mommy time now." I have wondered a time or two (or five or six) why she had kids.

at a park outing I had one mutal friend comment how she loved how my eyes bugged when this same woman, when asked where her kids were, said they were by themselves on the beach. the beach was a good 120+ yards away. the oldest of the three may have been five.

I have known a number of women whose kids were public schooled, who would NEVER have dreamed of saying something like that. My adult children were in public school - I never would have dreamed of saying something like that. honestly, this isn't about homeschool or public school - but it is about attitudes towards children.

Edited by gardenmom5

I see these statements with most of my public school mom friends about 2 weeks after school has let out for summer, and a few days into winter/spring breaks "can't wait for them to go back", then the "celebrations" when school starts.

I've been on the ps side for a few short months, I cried the first day and after every long break. I can't imagine saying "I want to be away from my kids!" And these are the very same parents who can't understand why their kids don't want to be around them, well if you've told them for years you want to be away from them, eventually they get the message.

I travel for work. I'm often gone 3 days a week, 2 or 3 weeks a month, so I get plenty of "breaks". Not a one of them do I enjoy. I have people who tell me how lucky I am to get these "breaks" :001_huh: Really? I miss the smiles, the hugs, the kisses, that's supposed to be a happy thing? It's the sacrifice I make so the twins can be homeschooled. Definitely not an action to get away from kids, hubby, family, the dog ect.

I got my first part-time job at 14 because my grandmother/guardian said to the lady "I don't know what I'm going to do with her for all that time" because it was the Christmas break of 1999 and we got an extra week because of Y2K fears. Right in front of me. It was only going to be 3 weeks off. :glare: I went to a private school that used the ACE workbooks; school got out at 12:30/1:00. My grandmother signed me up for every extra thing they had so I wasn't home until later in the afternoon; whether I wanted to do them or not.

I really hope these mothers aren't saying this in front of their kids. :(

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

... from your children once in a while, but I can't see needing a break of 7 to 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 9 months of the year. I agree with you. If they don't want to spend hardly any time with their children, they shouldn't have had children. My daughter has a friend whose mother would send her away to her grandparents every summer (ALL summer) because she didn't want to be burdened with her too much. It is amazing how well this girl turned out (I think the father had something to do with that even though her parents have been divorced since she was very young.).

I think some of this is also what society has conditioned parents to think/feel. For example, the back-to-school commercials playing non-stop here have the Christmas music "It's the most wonderful time of the year" playing as they show all of the cool stuff kids will need for school & parents doing cartwheels through the aisles :glare:

So, I would bet that some parents just say stuff like that just because that is what they think they are supposed to say.

Of course, I am sure there are some parents out there who really mean it but I bet ya there are many who are missing their kids today but just put on a brave face for the other moms and go along with the comments.

My Mom said that in front of us all the time. We grew up well adjusted, and are still very close to our parents, with no hard feelings whatsoever. If we were ignored and treated as a nuisance when we were home maybe things would have turned out differently, but we were very much loved and knew it. Mom wanting a break from the messes, the sibling bickering, and the "I'm booooored" is/was understandable.

When my kids were in PS, I told them the same thing. I got tired of the messes, the whining, and the bickering, and the CONSTANT "Mom, can I? Mom, will you? Mom, I want...Mom, Mom, Mom - non-stop." and I DID look forward to them going to school so I could have a break.

Now, I've learned to cope differently. They were driving me nuts last week before I had planned to start school, but we marched ourselves into the school room and got to work anyway because they needed the structure/distraction.

A few weeks ago the children all went to Reptile Day at the library. I was home - alone. It was the first time in a couple years. The house was mine for two hours. Oh, the plans that I had.

Right before they left they didn't know where the cat was. He is always hiding (inside cat only). To get them out the door and there on time, I said, while waving good-bye, "Don't worry. I'll find him!"

Yeah.

For two hours I called and called and looked and looked. The entire time was spent looking for a cat. When they arrived home again, I told them that I couldn't find him. My son walks into the diningroom and says, "Oh, there he is. Isn't he cute?!" He was tucked into a box, sleeping happily. :glare:

If I had the day to myself five days a week, I'm sure that they would be just as unproductive.

... from your children once in a while, but I can't see needing a break of 7 to 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 9 months of the year. I agree with you. If they don't want to spend hardly any time with their children, they shouldn't have had children. My daughter has a friend whose mother would send her away to her grandparents every summer (ALL summer) because she didn't want to be burdened with her too much. It is amazing how well this girl turned out (I think the father had something to do with that even though her parents have been divorced since she was very young.).

I agree with this. I lovei being around the kids. They know I do, because I make it quite apparent how much I love coming home to them if I go out w a friend, etc. I feel so bad for those kids who see parents cebrating w mimosas or such. Do these same people do that in front of elderly mom when they stick her in the nursing home?

I guess you all wouldn't like my mom, who, when asked how she kept her sanity being a working mom with 6 kids, stated, "it's the job that keeps me sane and keeps me from killing all these kids." ;)

I may not be super at making my kids feel cherished, but I don't think keeping them home would improve that. I think they'd just get more of my bad side. But I'm only speaking for myself.

I adore my kids and they like me. Especially when we get a break from each other. Yesterday I yelled at my kids for about a half hour before dropping them off at school. As they walked into the school building, they smiled and waved as if I were the sweetest mom ever. (OK, so maybe the yelling *has* addled their brains.)

If you can be with your kids all day, every day and never say anything that doesn't translate to "you are cherished," you are a better woman than I.

I have lots of hobbies and I would have lots more fun if my kids went to school all day.

Honestly, sometimes I think I'd be a better wife and Mom if I wasn't also the teacher.

:iagree::iagree:

We definitely have too much togetherness at our house. Some days are great and some are awful. If they went to public school we would have too much time apart. Some days would be great and some would be awful. There isn't a perfect solution. I am sure those moms love their kids just as much as I love mine. We are just different people.

You know at the zoo there's a monkey in a cage? It's been caged up it's whole life. So when the zookeeper opens the gate and says to go free, the monkey just stands there with a confused look on it's face.

Well, the few rare times I get out BY MYSELF, I feel like that monkey. What the heck would I do without kids surrounding me 24/7?

LOL

:lol:

You've just articulated the feeling I have when DH takes the kids to his parents for the weekend. It happens rarely that all 3 are gone, but when it does happen, I'm almost paralyzed by the thought of what to do. Do I clean like crazy and get caught up on everything. Or do I take the time to chill, read a book, watch a movie, go out w/friends. I know I should split the two days and do one set each day, but I usually just lie on the bed and veg for the first few hours they're gone. Now I know why.

Laura

My kids went to PS for 4 years and I was one of those mothers! There is nothing wrong with having time to get things done. When my kids came home from school the chores and errands were done, I had quiet time and was overall a happier person which made our time together so much better. I could FOCUS on them. Now my husband travels 2/3rds of the time so I am on my own with almost everything. It was helpful. Didn't mean I regretted having kids.

Now that I am hs'ing I love being around them but I also miss being able to do errands without being slowed down by them. No longer can I just run into a store. Today I bought two things at Target and it took 20 minutes. Alone I would have been out in 5 to 10. We didn't even do a full school day today because I had to get things done. Oh and MIL arrives on Friday and my house is the worst she'll have ever seen it. I'm tryng not to stress though just realizing that this is our new reality.

There are good and bad with both.

I think it's easier to be with your kids if you do it all the time.

When DS was born I went back to work for the first year and had a nanny. I loved seeing him and spending time with him in the mornings and evenings, plus weekends. I cried to be away from him, especially while pumping. Yet I would be at a loss on the weekends and holidays. They stretched out and felt like a long time of not knowing what to do and how to relate to him, even though we co-slept and I wore him a lot when we were together. Once I left my job it was an adjustment for a few months and now it's really easy. Going back and forth made it hard; like starting over each time and getting to know each other.

But I still do better with mommy time everyday and because of that I either eat dinner alone :o or I end up staying up too late to get in some time alone. I just get "peopled out" without it. The kids understand and they know it's about all people, not just them. They want me to have time; they know it makes me a better mom. But something like celebrating their departure is beyond the pale, to me. :001_huh:

Honestly? There's an awful lot of judgement going on in this thread.

I get it. I used to feel the same way.

Then, I had my 5th child.

And I've been slowly losing my mind ever since.

I'm not cut out for this.

School starts for us on Monday- my two oldest are going to school this year. And I CAN. NOT. WAIT. to only have 3 kids at home all day instead of all five.

The summer really was starting to wear on us all -- having the schooled-kids home threw off the whole home's routine, including their own. And that's what it's really all about ... growing tired of being off routine. School is such a huge commitment (9+ months, 6+ hours/day) and as such it plays a dominant role in the identity and scheduling of many people's lives.

Being out of the norm is hard on everyone. By mid-summer our schooled kids were were just as eager to get back to their routine. They'd never admit to being ready to go back to *school* per se, but they were definitely needing to get back to the predictable schedule that comes with being in school. Humans are creatures of habit, you know?

I see it as not too different than the phenomenon expressed within this very thread about moms who go out for a few hours sans kids only to find themselves out of sorts (despite wanting or needing time away from "home" LOL). It has much more to do with being off routine than it does trying to avoid anyone.

"Why do they even HAVE kids"?!??!

Good gravy, that's a stretch of a justification for self-perceived superiority LOL. Here's a tip: The harder you judge, the harder you'll fall :lol: We've all known (or have been) that person eventually humbled by the universe after much loud, short-sighted and shallow commentary about others. Pad your panties!

"Why do they even HAVE kids"?!??!

Good gravy, that's a stretch of a justification for self-perceived superiority LOL. Here's a tip: The harder you judge, the harder you'll fall :lol: We've all known (or have been) that person eventually humbled by the universe after much loud, short-sighted and shallow commentary about others. Pad your panties!

AMEN to that!

LOL

I feel the same way. When the kids were younger, people would say, "you need to get out and do something for yourself" and I would sit there, wondering what on earth I would do... Grocery shop?

I totally get the "aaaah, I have the house to myself" concept, and the happiness to be back to their regular routine - because, let's face it, since it goes August to June, kids in school is the regular routine, and I feel the same when we get back into our routine after vacation - but I don't get the people who say they can't stand being around their kids. That always leaves me :confused:

I'm slightly jealous of all the "first day of school" pics I see on my friends walls...partly because I would love some time to just breathe...but also because they are all confident in their decision to send their children to school. (speaking only of my friends...not a sweeping generalization of all people)

Every year we start school, I'm conflicted on whether or not I'm doing the right thing.

There are days when I wish I'd never heard of homeschooling because then I would just accept the fact that PS is the only option :(

I have been on both sides of the road. When we lived in AZ, I loved the schools where we were, the teachers were great and my kids were thriving. My husband also came home for lunch everyday and we got to do lunch dates regularly and had quiet one on one time throughout the week. I won't lie. It was NICE! I felt sexy, wanted and still me and not just "mom."

We homeschool here out of necessity. We have horrid school systems and my kids don't thrive here. Some days I do dream of the lifestyle we had in AZ. It isn't that I don't love being around my kids and spending time with them. We had great adventures and did so much with them even when they were in public school. And I do enjoy them with me all day now.. but sometimes, I day dream of gorgeous 72 degree weather and a date with hubs in the jeep with the top down.

For the record though, even if the kids went to PS here, my DH works nights.. so no date nights while they are at school here. It would be devastating for my kids because they would see him maybe 9 hours a week. Family is so important to us.

I understand, too. I love my kids. They know I think the world of them. They see that my day from waking to bedtime is mostly consumed with meeting their needs. They also know that I am an introvert and that I need down time that only happens when they are gone. They understand that I am a much happier and better mom when I get that time away from them. I don't like hearing people say they are sick of their kids, but I understand the desire for some time alone.

I think I already responded to this thread, but I am too lazy to check.

I adore my kids. I am tickled by their thoughts, ideas, jokes, company etc. Yet, I was really ok when they were at a sweet school.

I admit. I enjoyed the peace with the baby during school hours.

Edited by LibraryLover

LOL

:lol: this is me too.